Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 07-18-2013, 07:11 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2000 Mastercraft X-star
2000 X-Star *Need advice*

So this is my first mastercraft I have owned. I have several other ski boats but not a V-drive.
I bought this boat about a month and a half ago. I was taken on a test drive, everything seemed ok, the X-star needed a couple things (some interior work and a MDC box). No big deal, bought the boat at a descent price.
For the first probably 40 hours or so the boat ran great, was pulling people up with 9 people on the boat everything is awesome.
Then i noticed something was not right with the throttle after messing around with the perfect pass.
I decided to bring it to my local MC dealer (who I have never used but was told to go there through a friend).
I brought it there on monday, told me they would call me tuesday and have some info for me.
I got no call, so I gave them an extra day and still no call.
I called wednesday night and they told me they got busy with some other customers boats and would let me know in the A.M (Thursday)
Never got a call so tonight before they closed I decided to call again.
There response was " Let me find out whats going on and ill call you back"
Got a call about 2 hours later and they tell me that " my perfect pass was not wired correctly and that was my throttle issue.
However, they pulled my dipstick and the oil was a tad bit milky and I probably need a new motor. "
My response was oh really how do you know that and how much to fix it?
They said " well I didnt really dig into to much but ive seen enough of these that you probably didnt winterize it correctly and it cracked the block, I just did a LTR a few weeks ago and its around $7,500"

Basically it seems to me that they just didnt want to be bothered with a older mastercraft like mine, or anyones in general this week (middle of a heat wave here in MA)

I talked to a few friends from NH who told me there is no way that I would be using it wakeboarding for a month and a half several times a week and every weekend with a cracked block from the winter. He said it could be several things, intake manifold, risers etc....

Basically just looking for some advice guys
Sorry this was my first post but I always browsed and usually found my answers so I never needed to sign up..

Any advice or info is appreciated.

Again, boat is a 2000 MC X-star 330 LTR .

Thanks...
Old 07-18-2013, 08:12 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1990 mastercraft p190
Did they fix the perfect pass? I think I would have them fix the perfect pass and then when you get it back check the oil your self and see if its milky.

My .02
Old 07-18-2013, 09:30 PM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by clrussell View Post
Did they fix the perfect pass? I think I would have them fix the perfect pass and then when you get it back check the oil your self and see if its milky.

My .02
I had checked it a week ago and noticed that it was ever so slightly milky, but not where it was white or even like tan really...
Old 07-18-2013, 09:51 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 X2 towed by a 2012 Touareg TDI
sounds like water is getting in there. I am no engine expert but if you will wait I am sure one of the many engine guru's will help give you input!
Old 07-18-2013, 10:10 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1990 mastercraft p190
When was it changed last? Is it a chance it's moisture and not full water intrusion?
Old 07-18-2013, 11:34 PM
TT Newbie

I was told by the previous owner who I bought it from that it was changed at the end of last season before it was winterized but not this year. The family I bought the boat from are serious wake boarders and skiers and have had probably 25 boats. They supposedly had it done correctly
Old 07-19-2013, 04:06 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2006 X Star SS
Easiest would be to get a compression tester and test each cylinder. That will show you right away if the motor is good.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:41 AM
TT Newbie

Does anybody know any reputable inboard mechanics around my area?
Old 07-20-2013, 09:18 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '00 MariStar 230VRS
Change oil and see if the problem is still there with the milky oil first. Watch the temp gauge to see if it's running hot. That'd be an indication of a head gasket failure. If your MDC box is totally gone you can toss in an aftermarket temp gauge to see what the engine is doing. Harbor Freight usually has cheap ones on the shelf.

Could be improper winterizing and a cracked block since it's MA. Worst case scenario you'll need a new short or long block. The LTR is just an L31 GM Vortec engine with a 4-bolt main bottom end and a marine camshaft.

If you found a good inboard guy who knows engines you could buy this and have the roller camshaft from your LTR swapped into it.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/na...FRKZ4AodtG8A6w

Should come in way under $7,500.