Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 07-19-2013, 10:49 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1988 tristar 190
carb gurus holley 4160 any ideas.

hey guys i rebuilt my carb recently got it all dialed in .runs great all day long
boat has points in it, dwell around 30 ,timing around 10-11 degrees .

but i have noticed after i turn it off hot or cold . i always have to put the thottle into it a bit to get it to fire and cranks maybe slightly longer than a noramls start ,maybe 5-6 seconds instead of 2-3 .

before the rebuild once warm i just would turn the key and she would fire up it is a hassle to pull that little knob out just to give it a few seconds of throttle ,to get it to purr.
and the wife hates it , she is used to just turning the key and away she goes.

any suggestions. she is idling around 500-600 rpm

float / accellerator pump , mixture ,etc ?? o ya choke is also working fine.

i do have to say once running she idles like a new car never stalls always goes into gear nice . just finicky on starting . cleaned everything .
why the wide open throttle sorta to get her to fire.

cheers

any ideas would be greatly appreciated .

1988 mastercraft tristar (open bow).
Old 07-19-2013, 11:39 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1985 stars and stripes
I have the same problem. I thought it was my carburetor too . I ended up purchasing a new holley marine carb just like the old one, and still doing the same thing. I have tried one other thing but haven't taken it to lake to test yet. One of my exhaust flappers wasn't sealing good. I think water was getting in the exhaust and it was having to clear it out before the engine would start . Not sure but I hope this helps.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:51 AM
TT Enthusiast

thanks for your reply at least i am not the only one experienceing this .

funny thing i notice a difference in my exhaust also my raw water pump wasn't up to snuff .put a new one on at the same time i did the carb . and the exhaust would fill with water and kill the engine this on the fake -a-lake also . i just needed to fix the timing and dial in the carb and now it doesn't kill the engine enigine will blow the water and exhaust out the back .my engine has never stalled either since rebuild. but still won't just start by turning key . going to the lake for 10 days i'll see if i can figure it out.

cheers .

Old 07-19-2013, 11:57 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft Prostar 205
....she is idling around 500-600 rpm (Boat or wife? )

My owner's manual says 600-800 rpm idle (when in gear), so your a little on the lowside.

I personally, have not been able to adequately rebuild a carb, and make it work better.

There's more to it, than just replacing parts. I just buy a reman, from a quality source... just plug and play. See thread on hard starting.

1994 RED Mastercraft 205, Chevy 5.7 TBI.
Old 07-19-2013, 12:22 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1993 ProStar 190
You might find a very similar post from myself, a few months back. Rebuilt carb, same thing happened as you. Take off your flame arrestor and when you turn off the engine, look down into the throat of the carb, you will likely see fuel dripping into it. It should not be doing that.

On mine, it was leaking from the primary bowl side.

Unfortunately for you, I'm not exactly sure what I did to cure the problem. I took the bowl off and removed and tweaked the float.....twice. The second time did the trick. Both times the needle/seat looked clean. Wish I could tell you what I did, but alas, I cannot.

Good luck, let us know what happens!
Old 07-19-2013, 03:17 PM
TT Enthusiast

thanks skidaddy i think i did notice the odd drip .but not much but i really haven't looked at it lately . it was dripping out of my port side primary.but after awhile it would go away ,once i get to the lake i will check it out . i will try to readjust float and check the needle and seat .
makes sence if it is dripping it could flood it out and then by opening up the throttles it clears itself out .

thanks i'm glad your problem is fixed .now to fix mine . cheers

Old 07-19-2013, 04:09 PM
TT Enthusiast

i couldn't wait for the lake i lowered the float level, when she was cold first started up no drips warmed up around 140 ,never got to the 160 . it started to drip on the starboard side .on and off
depending on how i shut her down .if i let it idle for abit before shutting it off no drips .
but hey on the bright side it will start with the turn of a key now ,no need for extra throttle
now for the lake test we'll see how it does under load and at the lake , but as is now in the driveway . it will stop and start with the key . no throttle thanks again Ski daddy i looked up your other thread

cheers

Old 07-19-2013, 04:19 PM
TT Enthusiast

just went out now turned the key and she fired up a bit ruff but smoothed out right away cool .i hope she is fixed . oops forgot to turn on the water off .gotta go

Old 07-22-2013, 02:24 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
If you are having dripping issues that can't be fixed by adjusting the float, you may well be dealing with some amount of debris in the fuel keeping the needle & seat from seating. Changing your fuel filter may not be enough. You could be having problems resulting from ethanol damage to the fuel line from your fuel tank to the fuel pump, or from debris in the tank.

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Package $629
4 Matte Black T08 14x6 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $379
2 Matte Black T08 14x6 wheels, 2 ST215/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires
MOUNT, BALANCE & FREE SHIPPING INCLUDED IN BOTH PACKAGES

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND. $100 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com