Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 07-10-2017, 03:33 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2013 X25 w Gen2
Replacing thermostat on 2013 X25 5.7L Ilmor

How hard is it to replace a thermostat on a '13 X25 5.7L Ilmor and are there any instruction available on how to do it? My X25 is running hot, it normally runs at around 160 degs but now it goes to between 180 and 200 degs before dropping (rather quickly) back to 160. Running a low RPMs seems to be where it happens the majority of the time. We checked the raw water impellor and it is in perfect condition, I believe my dealer replaced as part of dewinterizing. So it looks like the thermostat isn't working. Instead of dragging the boat 1 1/2hrs to my local dealer, wanted to try and replace the thermostat. My neighbor is a mechanic and said it should be fairly easy. Any guidance appreciated.
Old 07-10-2017, 11:00 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2012 X25
It's not terribly difficult. The air filter needs to come off as well as the intake (4 hex bolts on top). Then there are 4 bolts holding the t-stat housing in place. They are a bit difficult to access with limited throw for a ratchet. I bought a set of ratcheting box-end wrenches and the stubby ones work well for this job as well as impeller replacement. You really have to manipulate the housing if you don't want to remove the hoses. The bypass hole of the t-stat should be installed so it's in the 12 o' clock position (straight up).

I don't have access to my Ilmor manual right now but if you need more info shoot me a PM and I can send pages later today.

Chris
Old 07-10-2017, 02:52 PM
TT Enthusiast

Thanks! That is the info I was looking for. If I have issues, will ask if you can send me the Ilmor manual pages.
Old 07-11-2017, 11:12 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: PS 190 2013 Ilmor MV8
Hello jjct1,
If you didn’t received any answer on this one, and if no better idea, I would recommend the following process*:
-Switch off battery and Beede system if any before start, avoiding any fault error system pop up on screen after operation.
-Remove air filter and 2 electric plugs.
-Remove thermostat easily, pay attention to thermostat seal.
- There is a little hole on thermostat that might be cleaned up. (possible problem of overheating at low rpm). New Ilmor thermostats are apparently provided with a larger hole to avoid easily blocked filter elements.
- You may test your thermostat: Place the thermostat in a pot of cold water. Heat and check if thermostat do the job. If no opening or any doubts, better to change it rather changing engine…
- I will probably perform the jobin the next few days and can take photos if needed?
Cheers, Nicolas
Old 07-22-2017, 03:20 AM
TT Enthusiast

Thanks for the info. You guys forgot to tell me all the hose clamps were one time use. We had to try to move around the hoses instead of disconnecting. The old thermostat had a really small hole, the new one had a bigger hole so it must have been the original that came with the boat. With the new thermostat, the temperature stays steady at 160, the same as it used to so this appears to have fixed the issue.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk