Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 07-18-2013, 08:31 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 40th Anniversary X Star!
Might load test the wires, like the wire from the battery for example, take that wire off of the ignition and hook a old headlamp to it then ground the other wire off the light. And if the light is bright then that wire is good, you can do it with other wires but its more complicated. While load testing the wire go as far down it as you can pulling on the wire gently. If light goes off then you found your problem
Old 07-19-2013, 03:54 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft, 2001, Xstar
I seem to have a short someplace else that is causing overall problems. I went through the entire ignition following all of the purple wires. I was actually losing most of the volts between the ignition relay and ignition coil.

One interesting thing, if I only hook up the main battery terminals, not the smaller blower, lights, etc., the gauges turn on as normal when the key is put in start. The engine will not start though. If I try to start it, everything cuts off. If I hook the smaller battery cables up to the battery, the gauges never come on, and I drop voltage between the ignition coil and relay.

BTW, I am pretty sure they would be able to sell these boats for half the money if they didn't use so much electrical tape...
Old 07-19-2017, 11:00 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2001 Mastercraft XStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by uski View Post
I seem to have a short someplace else that is causing overall problems. I went through the entire ignition following all of the purple wires. I was actually losing most of the volts between the ignition relay and ignition coil.

One interesting thing, if I only hook up the main battery terminals, not the smaller blower, lights, etc., the gauges turn on as normal when the key is put in start. The engine will not start though. If I try to start it, everything cuts off. If I hook the smaller battery cables up to the battery, the gauges never come on, and I drop voltage between the ignition coil and relay.

BTW, I am pretty sure they would be able to sell these boats for half the money if they didn't use so much electrical tape...

Hi uski, Did you ever figure this out? I'm having a very similar issue with my Xstar except my engine light is on when I turn the key.
Old 07-19-2017, 11:53 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Achilles sg124
Check your starter relay. Some boats have two of them. One by the ecm and the other by the starter.
Old 07-20-2017, 08:31 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2004 X30 mc350 indmar
I am having the exact same problem with me 2004 X30. I just joined the form to try and find a solution. does any one have a schematic for the ignition circuit
Old 07-20-2017, 10:45 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 86 Magnum Skier
Holy dead thread revival. Here is the diagram you requested. Main relay provides power to the ECM, ignition(distributor and coil), and the fuel relay. If you have power loss after the relay check the junction where the wires are soldered together. But first diagnose the relay
Attached Images

Old 07-20-2017, 11:42 PM
TT Newbie

Is one of these the main relay?

Old 07-21-2017, 12:38 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 86 Magnum Skier
Quote:
Originally Posted by renrio View Post
Is one of these the main relay?

For some reason your images are not showing up

I plugged the link in and got it to show. Yes one of those three relays is the main
Old 07-21-2017, 01:43 AM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminscj View Post
For some reason your images are not showing up

I plugged the link in and got it to show. Yes one of those three relays is the main

Only one of the three relays had a purple wire going to it so is it safe to guess that's the main relay?
Old 07-21-2017, 01:56 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2011 X55
It is the auto-circuit breaker located on the top front of the engine. May be mounted upside down, or may also have a red push-button. It's bad. Nearly guaranteed. I've had it go bad on several boats and it exhibits the exact same scenario you guys are having. Test its continuity or jumper across temporarily-you will be back on the lake in no time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk