Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 07-18-2013, 02:39 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft, 2001, Xstar
2001 XStar no gauge power, no engine light, boat wont start

Hi Everyone,

I have a 2001 XStar with the standard engine. When I turn the key to the start position, I only get ~1.3 volts coming out on the out pin of the ignition switch, although I get 12.5 as an input to the ignition switch. The check engine light and the gauges do not light up or go through the startup clicking. I have a new battery. I have cleaned all the connections in between the battery and the starter that I can find. I get 12 volts at the main engine breaker and the starter. I get 12 volts into one of the inputs on the ignition relay. The other ignition relay input that comes from the fuse block has a 0 volt reading no matter the key position. Blower and all other accessories work. The radio works when the key is on accessory but not in the start position. Any clue what I should be testing next?

Thanks!
Old 07-18-2013, 02:51 PM
TT Newbie

Also... I already replaced the ignition switch and the ignition breaker under the dash. The inline fuse at the switch is fine.
Old 07-18-2013, 03:28 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1990 mastercraft p190
Have you checked the kill switch yet? It could cause your symptoms. But they part where you have 1.3v as an output on the ignition gets me
Old 07-18-2013, 03:29 PM
TT Newbie

Yes, I checked the lanyard. thanks!
Old 07-18-2013, 03:55 PM
MC Devotee

What does the back of your ignition switch look like? Multiple wires or just a couple? (I've never seen one) but can you take the wires from the battery side and hook em to the output side and get everything working sounds like you have a bad connection at the switch.

Does the mmdc? (Idk if that's right) but the gauge computer control the ignition and start? I've seen a bunch of those bad since I've been around here
Old 07-18-2013, 04:02 PM
TT Newbie

The back of the ignition switch has two wires connected to a couple of the out pins. Sad to say, I already put in a new MDC box and that did not fix the issue. When the electrical issues started happening, I would turn the key and not get power, but after a couple tries it would always come back on. As it got more frequent, then the engine would not start and I would just hear a click at the solenoid (I also replaced the starter). I am not sure if the MDC controls ignition, but I have a new one in the boat.
Old 07-18-2013, 05:30 PM
MC Devotee

Can you by pass the ignition switch and it turn the gauges on? Wires at connectors for switch crimped good and not broken?
Old 07-18-2013, 05:36 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2001 prostar 205V
Sounds like a bad ground somewhere. Did you go over all connections on the grounding bar under the dash? Also cable connection from bar to battery, also ground to engine. May want to do the same on the positive lug under the dash as well.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:01 PM
TT Newbie

Yes, I cleaned the ground bar, the wires, and the positive connections under the dash. When I test the positive point under the dash with the ground bar I get 12.5 volts. I have also cleaned every ground and positive connection I could find on the engine. I get 12.5 volts to the main engine breaker and the starter.

I will try to bypass the starter.

Thank You!
Old 07-18-2013, 07:09 PM
TT Newbie

Nope, jumping the battery wire and ignition wire at the ignition switch do not turn the engine light or gauges on.

Interestingly enough, when I was done playing around with the ignition switch, the light came on the next time I turned the key while the dash was apart. I could reliably turn it on and off until I put the dash back together. I even tested the lanyard and a few other things I was wondering about and the power was reliable. So, maybe there is a broken wire or something in the harness. This is maddening!!