Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 07-16-2013, 01:12 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 91' MC 240sc
Double braided NYLON 3/8" is fine for general day use. If you are slipping for longer periods of time, 1/2" on dock may be advisable simply because of its durability over time. It is overkill in year 1 but still strong enough even with abrasions in year 4 to still be safely functional.
I avoid floating lines like solid braid and poly, they are prone to abrasion and weaken quickly. Don't be tempted by the "vanity" ones like Top Knot that can sew in a name. A quality eye needs to be spliced, not sewn.

20' minimum and 25' or even 30' (usually have to go to 1/2 for 30'). The extra length comes in handy when approaching a person to dock, at the dock reaching cleats and passing between boats in raft up situations.
Personal interjection - don't expect me to go out of my way to catch a 10-15' shoe string.
Coincidentally, crappy captains usually have short line, tampon fenders, undersized anchor and other characteristics of poor boating.

Cheap line like Sea Choice and West Marine are economical and get job done. If you are prone to loosing lines, on a budget or use them infrequently this is not a bad option.
Quality lines from Sampson and New England Ropes will cost 2-3 times as much but have superior abrasion and fade resistance and greater strength.

I do keep a 75-100' hank of 3/8 or 1/2 Diamond Braid Poly (hardware store) easily accessible to pull together split raft lines, tow disabled boats and 50 other situations. This should be carefully wrapped and stored for quick deployment.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:40 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MC 2002 X30
I called Mad Dog today, I am heading up to MN anyway so I am going to stop at the store and get the 20' 1/2 lines. He has the padded covers with no logo, sounds like no logo is the way to go. He stated next year they are going to have better ones with Sunbrella material.

Thanks for all the replies, I will post when I get back, leaving Thursday am
Old 07-19-2013, 08:36 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MC 2002 X30
got my stuff at Mad Dog, very nice people with lots of rope. Got 20' ropes 1/2 inch, also bought bumber ropes and padded trailer guides.

will need to post pics later heading on vacation
Old 07-20-2013, 08:17 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2013 X-30 6.0L
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneBoatN View Post
I use these for dock lines:
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...lassNum=50311#

3/8 is plenty strong. I have 25' as I like to do a spring line (front-to-back) configuration when we have our week long cabin and have a slip. So just depends upon what you want to do. A little on the pricey side but three years and they are still like new.
I was at West Marine a couple of days ago a d they had those lines buy one get one free. They are defiantly good lines.