Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 07-15-2013, 03:03 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2004 X-Star
Decisions Decions: Thru-Hull or In-Hull Transducer

I'm going to go with a new dual temp and depth gauge on my X-Star. Can't decide between a thru-hull or in-hull transducer. Not surprisingly, I already have a thru-hull trans for speed (paddlewheel). I understand if I go with a thru-hull the best location is opposite the other thru-hull (paddlewheel). I've got the room (bilge and trailer), got the hole saws, got 3M marine adhesives and, I think, I've even got the nerve to make another hole in the hull. A thru hull, generally, gives better depth readings at speed than an in-hull (further evidenced by the fact my Lowrance DG often loses the bottom when at speed). Any reason that you folks know of for not going with a thru-hull? Thanks.
Old 07-15-2013, 03:14 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2001 prostar 205V
Don't you have to use through hull if going with lake temp or are you planning on tying into the sensor on the paddle wheel? I didn't want to drill and am using the surface mount glue on model and it works great at idle or on plane.
Old 07-15-2013, 03:19 PM
MC Fanatic

Ideally, I'd like to use the temp sensor on the paddlewheel, but haven't heard back from Faria if it will work. If not, and going with an in-hull, there are options (would mostly "T" off the raw water intake and fab something to get the water temp reading at that location).
Old 07-15-2013, 04:03 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2007 X2
Keep us posted on what you hear from faria - I am going the same route through faria with a sounder, air and water temp unit. I am removing one of my worthless ballast gauges and putting the guage there. My boat only has water temp and I can't get it off of Celsius.
Old 07-15-2013, 04:16 PM
MC Fanatic

Airmar makes most transducers and it appears the ones that come with Faria units are, in fact, Airmar (my ST300 is an Airmar paddlewheel). With that, my guess is the temp sender will work with the Faria gauge (brown and white wires from the ST300 to the black and white wires of the Faria). Another option is Airmar makes the DST800 thru-hull (I would have named it the STD800) that is a triducer (speed, temp and depth). As far as I can tell from reading the specs, it should replace the current paddlewheel thru-hull and take care of water temp and depth too. Something to think about anyway.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:36 AM
MC Fanatic

Heard back from Airmar. The temp sender in the ST300 is 10k ohm and that's what the Faria gauges call for. So for simplicity, I'll just go with a new in-hull and grab the water temp off the ST300.

Last edited by deminimis; 07-16-2013 at 02:56 PM.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:54 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: '94 PS205 LT1
My in hull worked well even on plane until I put the paddle wheel in front of it. Poor planning - foresight I guess.

However, if you are unfamiliar w an area, maybe you shouldn't be on plane there for the 1st pass anyway.
Old 08-01-2013, 05:23 PM
MC Fanatic

Forgot about this thread, so here's the follow up (sorry for the repost). The Faria gauge is the cat's meow. The lake temp sensor from the paddlewheel (Airmar ST300) works perfectly (brown and white wires). Went with the in-hull transducer as opposed to the through hull. Mounted it opposite of the paddlewheel (on the other side of the keel (starboard)) at mid ship. Air temp sensor (same as the water temp sensor that came with the unit) mounted up nicely under the dash, out of the sun, and where there is a good exchange of fresh air. As far as the transducer, this is not the little epoxy-in-place puck style unit that came with the Lowrance 3500 equipped boats, but rather it's a much larger transducer with a separate housing that you mount and fill with RV antifreeze (or mineral oil). Airmar calls for silicone to mount the transducer housing, but silicone is the Devil, so I used 3M 5200. Not only do the air and lake temps work perfectly, this unit, with this considerably larger transducer, never lost the lake bottom this past week on vacation. I got readings from 2.5' when launching to over 200' out in the middle of the lake. Again, did not lose the bottom at any time at any speed (however, keep in mind a X-Star is not a go-fast boat). This setup is a huge improvement over the orig Lowrance set up and I highly recommend it if you've lost the ability to read lake temps or your sounder looses the bottom. Hope this helps.
Old 08-01-2013, 05:25 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
I have a thru-hull from Faria. I replaced my paddle wheel with it. It was a special order size to fit the old hole. Not sure if they have it any more, but I know I have posted the part number on here in the past. The temp sensor is run to the rear through one of the old speed pitot tubing holes. The air temp is shoved under the dash.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:32 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: '94 PS205 LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by east tx skier View Post
I have a thru-hull from Faria. I replaced my paddle wheel with it. It was a special order size to fit the old hole. Not sure if they have it any more, but I know I have posted the part number on here in the past. The temp sensor is run to the rear through one of the old speed pitot tubing holes. The air temp is shoved under the dash.
Is yours in front of the motor? I was told to put in behind, then needed to put paddle wheel in front. I was nervous to put paddle wheel in front if water intake, which is why mine is all messed up.
If I could put a new transducer in front of paddle wheel or upgrade to stargazer and do what you did, I'd be golden.