Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Waterskiing & Barefooting

Old 07-15-2013, 08:45 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '83 Metalflake Blue on Grey S&S Powerslot, 351W
Face plant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
That's why everyone should where a helmet on water sports... The injury thread freaks me out...
I don't think a helmet would help with a face plant. Would it?
Old 07-15-2013, 09:02 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by tph View Post
I don't think a helmet would help with a face plant. Would it?
Protects the ears... from perforated ear drum(s)...
Old 07-15-2013, 09:11 PM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
First I'd hate to see you give up so soon on wakeboarding. You have a great boat for it, and it sounds like you have plenty of passengers which is going to make skiing well behind that boat very difficult. If you desire to slalom and cut hard into the wake, try it behind someone's direct drive (190,197,etc.) If you still want to hang up the wakeboard, you may need a different boat.

But give wakeboarding another try. Get a GATH helmet, slow the boat to 18-19 and just have a driver and a spotter. The wake should be very clean at that speed, and you can jump one-wake on a 75' rope until you master that, then shorten it to about 60' and try W2W.

Oh, and I always offer free lessons for the ladies here in New Jersey!

Name:  Dave wakeboarding in fla.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  71.6 KB
Old 07-15-2013, 09:14 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
You know - when wake cutting is too hard, I give up on it. Get a trick ski and enjoy feeling silly.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:00 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2000 Prostar 195 - 350 TBI Predator, 1:1, 13x11.5 OJ 3-Blade
It's easy for Jerseydave to say, he has an XStar and a ProStar!

She lives down the road from me; I'll give her some pulls behind the 195 and see what she thinks.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:02 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '83 Metalflake Blue on Grey S&S Powerslot, 351W
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
Protects the ears... from perforated ear drum(s)...
True. I guess I've only experienced the eyelid peel back and whiplash.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:08 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by tph View Post
True. I guess I've only experienced the eyelid peel back and whiplash.
Ouch!!!!
Old 07-15-2013, 11:39 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 85 Stars&Stripes, safe-t-top, trick realease, boom, flitepipe pylon
x2 on don't give up on the wakeboarding. For a faceplant, tuck your head and hit on the crown of it, not on your face. I've also taken way more hard falls on a wakeboard than in all my years on a ski. Keep the handle in to your waist as your jump, and don't look down, as you have to lean forward to see the water, and once you lean forward...
Check evogear.com for helmets in the closeouts, def. get earflaps for it. As to slalom, take JMLVMI up on the offer to ski his 195, offer some gas, or take him and his family for a wakeboard run on your boat (trading runs instead of gas has been great for some buddies and me). Once you're able to attack consistently without a bobble at 30 -15, think of getting a run behind your boat. Move as much weight as possible to the bow, and bring a small crew. Wear that helmet. You'll likely find that your bouncing over and popping wheelies, or hitting and then going out the front at the second wake. This will show you how what felt like a stacked position really wasn't all that close. Once you get this corrected, you will be able to cut hard, knowing the ski will likely leave the water, with the confidence that you will be centered on top of it when it returns to the water.
I have run the course behind a number of boats that other skiers refused to run behind including a Rinker Captiva, and a Super Air Nautique. I also contend that the wake on my 85 stars and stripes is damn nice, though if you get beyond -32 the spray is significant.
Not to harp on the helmet, but I have seen multiple perforated ear drums without, and one friend who after having several face plants hit the back of his head on the water so hard he had a nosebleed. He was wearing a helmet, and I hate to think of that crash if he hadn't been wearing a helmet.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:01 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: '94 PS205 LT1
Dayum, you must have cat like reflexes to tuck your head before a toeside edge catching face plant....

Agree to keep Wakeboarding, it's fun too, just seems more injury prone as you naturally crash more as your are trying new stuff.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:22 AM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 215, 2011
I see you guys had a field day on her after I left work yesterday evening. Couple of things:

1) After watching the video on here yesterday, I realized that ya'll could help me more if I had a video of exactly what's going on. I charged up the Ipad last night and will assign someone to videoing. I'm usually the one taking all the pics and video's.

2) Just thinking about 30 mph is giving me the shakes, that is, with my existing GIANT wake! I'm 5'7" and 132 lbs.

3) We do have an "Attitude Adjuster Plate" on our boat but haven't noticed that it helped that much with the heavy load of people. I think I'm going to have to be a mean hostess and request they stay on my dock while I ski a few minutes and try to sort things out. LOL

4) I still love wakeboarding BUT when I say I had some nasty falls jumping W2W...I mean nasty. Knocked myself unconscious twice and the end result was Vertigo for 5 months straight, a concussion that left me with blurry vision for 2 months. The problem was I didn't get any coaching and was trying to jump with speed, often a very flat, fast jump and would crest the offside wake and occasionally it didn't end well.

5) I am going to Coble Ski School in September and very excited.

6) Now for another question: My new HO ski has a slip in boot behind. The salesman thought it would be better for someone beginning and trying to learn to pull up. I pull up fine but I find after skiing a little bit that the arch of my hind foot gets uncomfortable (probably because I didn't know I shouldn't have SO much weight distributed to my hind foot). My arms, torso, back never make me stop skiing but my hind foot begs me to stop and rest. All the instructional video show people skiing with 2 boots. Should I take my ski back and have this changed? Should a beginner ski with 2 boots?

Thanks so much for all the feedback. It makes it so much fun!

I LOVE my Mastercraft! - It's Never Too Late!