Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Ballast

Old 07-15-2013, 12:55 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2007 X45
x45. Ballast best practices

Hey Guys

I bought 07 X45 and have been working through a few issues that came with boat. I have most things squared away but the ballast system is a tough one. It was inspected and deemed OK by authorized dealer. My problem is telling when they are empty. I can see water come out side of boat when they are full but how can one tell when they are completed pumped out? My understanding is they pump out water below waterline so you cannot see when it is empty.

Gauges are iffy at best.

I appreciate any tips.

Henry
Old 07-15-2013, 06:57 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2009 X-Star LY6
I never know if my ballast is fully empty. What I do is wait till the gauge reads empty, then I turn the pumps on for another 10-15 sec. If there is a bit of water in the tanks, I see it as no big deal. Once i load the boat onto the trailer, I flick on the ballast pumps and listen for any water hitting the ground to ensure they are empty. I never had an instance where the gauges read empty and still had water in the tanks. My gauges have been pretty accurate.

Owned:
2012 X25
2011 X25
2009 Moomba LSV
2009 Moomba Outback V
2008 Monterey FS180
Pelican 4 set paddle boat
plastic tug boat when I was 4
Old 07-15-2013, 08:12 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2010 X-15 w/MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry View Post
Hey Guys

I bought 07 X45 and have been working through a few issues that came with boat. I have most things squared away but the ballast system is a tough one. It was inspected and deemed OK by authorized dealer. My problem is telling when they are empty. I can see water come out side of boat when they are full but how can one tell when they are completed pumped out? My understanding is they pump out water below waterline so you cannot see when it is empty.

Gauges are iffy at best.

I appreciate any tips.

Henry

You should be able to hear the noise from the pumps change pitch. For me, my gauges go to showing empty and shortly there after the noise pump is making will change the pitch (higher pitch sound) as it looses it prime when it starts sucking air instead of water. So I make sure all ballast tanks are empty before arriving back at the ramp. I'll do this at slow speed so the bow is raised ensuring I get the maximum amount of water out.

Then just to confirm, I run the pumps one at at time with the boat on the trailer and engine off so that I can hear them better, once again looking for that higher pitch whine, confirming the tanks are empty. Then I pull the boat up and out of the ramp. This takes but a few extra seconds. My son knows to do this so it is typically already done by the time we have the boat secured to the trailer ready to pull out therefore it takes no extra time on the ramp.