Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 07-10-2013, 09:26 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1992 Prostar 205
Keel Guard Alternatives

My boat has some wear from being beached over the years (she is 21 years old), I'm wondering if there are any alternatives to a keel guard. I purchased one, but haven't installed it yet due to the difficulty involved. I need to hoist my boat off it's trailer to do so because there is a V bunk and a roller where the keel guard would contact.

The install isn't what is deterring me from moving forward, I'm not a fan of how they look and the idea of sticking something fairly permanent to the hull of my boat is scary as well.

Are there any alternatives aside from anchoring my boat every time?
Old 07-10-2013, 11:26 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 X-star
I have had a keel guard installed for over 7 years I am on and off the trailer so much I just did it for added protection and to protect it from wear as I knew I was keeping this rig for a while. I never beach, but it still adds protection. IT has never come close to peeling/coming off and to me is very unnoticeable. You don't have to lift your boat off the trailer. When you're ready to install it .......Next time you launch just don't pull all the way to the boat buddy/roller and leave some space. It actually goes on very easy. Their instructions and videos make it cake. I am very happy with mine

Previous : 2000 X-Star, 3000lbs ballast, LTR 330, Acme 1235 14.5X14.25prop. 1200 hrs of flawless fun