Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 07-10-2013, 05:52 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft prostar 190LA
1999 Prostar 190LA maintenance

I have got my hands on 1999 Mastercraft Prostar 190LA that has spent the last two years in terrible conditions. It was left in a warehouse with high humidity and loads of dust.

I have started working on the visual damage witch is going pretty smooth and most likely will not require much investment. However, I have little idea about the necessary work on the engine.

What would you suggest to do before starting the engine?

I have added two images of the engine on Dropbox https://www.dropbox.com/sh/45h8jk4dslz1gj7/9QrwZv6aUw (Most certainly impeller will have to be replaced since it has been there two years).

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by AAA8AAA; 07-11-2013 at 06:26 PM.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:12 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1998 Maristar 200VRS
Two years generally isn't a huge amount of time, but with high humidity and dust there may be some problems.

First the dust. Vacuum the spark arrestor, then pull it off and vacuum inside as well as you can without bending/breaking anything.

Next, make sure the engine will turn over. Remove the plugs, squirt a bit of oil (less than a teaspoon) on the uphill side of each cylinder (it'll run to the downhill side), take off the valve covers and oil down the valve train. Put a socket on the bolt holding the pulley onto the crankshaft, and see if you can rotate the crankshaft. If so, crank the starter for 20-30 seconds to push oil into all the galleys, bushings, and bearings while the engine is under no load (put a rag over the spark plug holes to keep from shooting oil). Replace the plugs, cross your fingers, and turn the key. Run it for a minute, shut it down, change the oil and filter (remember to fill the new filter with oil), throw the skis in and go skiing.

At least, that's what I'd do. Maybe an hour or two's worth of work.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:34 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1996 Prostar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAA8AAA View Post
I have got my hands on 1999 Mastercraft Prostar 190LA that has spent the last two years in terrible conditions. It was left in a warehouse with high humidity and loads of dust.

I have started working on the visual damage witch is going pretty smooth and most likely will not require much investment. However, I have little idea about the necessary work on the engine.

What would you suggest to do before starting the engine?

I have added two images of the engine on Dropbox https://www.dropbox.com/sh/atp32qqtc9rn5l9/pgOk2myKaz (Most certainly impeller will have to be replaced since it has been there two years).

Thanks in advance!
Replace all the fuel and I'd also check the bottom of the tank for sludge and deposits. Renew fuel filter(s) of course too.
Visually the motor doesn't look too bad from what we can see in the photos...some of the hoses appear to have some dry rot.
I also assume you got a new battery, right?
Old 07-11-2013, 06:25 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft prostar 190LA
Thanks for all the advice!

Today I spent another day cleaning the outside and interior of the boat. With the visuals more of less sorted out I plan to start working on the engine.

Regarding your suggestions, is there a manual or any other topics about basic maintenance for the engine (e.g. changing oil, filters etc.)? This will be the first time I will deal with a boat engine, therefore I want to be completely sure about what I am doing. In the area where I live there are not may other options than doing all the work myself.

I am looking online for the stuff that I need. For now I have found impeller here - http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=276 Would this one fit?

Are there any other stores that provide parts for 1999 prostar (European online stores would fit me best)? Cleaning the boat today I have a list of things that should be replaced.

I also added a few new pics in the Dropbox folder - https://www.dropbox.com/sh/45h8jk4dslz1gj7/9QrwZv6aUw
Old 07-11-2013, 08:11 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Yes that impeller will fit. I know of many internet resellers on the net in the U.S. but not in the EU.