Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 07-09-2013, 11:36 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1988 Prostar 190
Ideas for ski lockers?

So I'm going to rebuild my ski lockers, as the plywood is rotting and my speakers keep falling out. They're currently stock, but given that I'm in an 88 ProStar and storage space is at a premium, does anyone have any suggestions I should incorporate in the new units to improve the design?
Current lockers:

Other than duplicating them out of new material, I don't really have any ideas on how to improve them. I'll re-cut the speaker holes so they're smaller and fit my current units, and I plan on adding LED strip lighting in and under the lockers (blue) to make it easier to find things and so we can see at night. It's hard to see in the photo, but each locker has a bottom that's about 4" deep, which forms a shelf at the bottom of the locker. I don't want to make it any deeper, it'll intrude in to the walking space, but I have thought about having the locker go all the way to the boat floor, or raising it up, but I don't think that will do anything.

I've thought about maybe putting some bungee straps in, to hold things in place (ATF, oil, boot lube, etc) but I don't know if that's going to make much of a difference. I'm really looking for things that will really help improve the amount of storage and increase usability.

Any suggestions?

Cheers,
Greg
Old 07-10-2013, 03:09 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 02 X-Star
Make them out of marine HDPE (starboard) http://tacomarine.com/item--Marine-L...ne+Lumber.html. Its super easy to cut and work with and doesn't need to be finished or painted.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:41 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: ProStar 190, 1989, 351W
I've thought about this too. I can't fit my Radar Theory w/ Vector boot in there due to the width of the ski and the boot. So, I would enlarge the opening and use bungee or netting to hold a larger ski. I've seen some Prostar renovations where they've been removed entirely which opens up some space in the hull - at the sake of storage. And some folks have developed a storage system in the bow, which is space that can be organized and has a good amount of room. I have a Fly High pylon extension and have considered a board rack and ski rack to attach to that.
Somewhere between SML and LKG
Old 07-10-2013, 10:37 AM
Skipper

I would get away from wood entirely. It is heavy and will eventually rot. Look into using some type of composite material for the backings. It will cut weight, be durable, and last longer.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:44 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1988 Prostar 190
I did some more thinking on this- I had my wife sit in the boat last night, and she really likes not having the ski lockers there. It really opens up the space and creates room. At this point I'm thinking something like this- eliminating the ski lockers completely and adding a small shelf on each side with a bungee net front for storage. I'd still be able to mount the speakers, have storage for small stuff but it would really open the interior.
Couldn't find a really good picture, but conceptually, this is close:

I think if I could keep the shelf about 3 inches deep, mounted above the midline of the hull, it would still help keep things open. I'll be starting the build tomorrow, I'll try to take lots of pictures and document this process.
G
Old 07-10-2013, 12:57 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1987 ProStar 190
I think that's actually a great idea. Not having a locker does open up the boat quite a bit. Then again, so does not having that stern bench.

I'm interested to see what you come up with.
Old 07-10-2013, 03:26 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1988 Tristar 190 Sport (Closed Bow), 351W w/ GT-40's
On that era prostar, I've never really liked where the coaming panels 'bumps' up to the angled portion that accepts the end of the windshield (pic in post 1). I always assumed it covered up something in the top cap behind it. On the Tristars, the coaming panel goes straight across along the top edge.

This probably goes without saying, but please don't drill thru the side of the hull when anchoring the "3-inch shelf mounted above the midline of the hull". I was trying to envision what you had in mind there.

Interested to see what you come up with as my coaming panels (and interior in general) are getting close to needing replacement. I've thought about enlarging the current openings on mine and reusing the vinyl, but they remain as-is for now.

When I replaced my carpet, I relocated the stern light pole and mounts from where it was mounted on the floor between the coaming panel and the sidewall, to the inside face on the bottom of the coaming panel. Just gets it out of the way a little bit more.

Last edited by MikeyOrange88; 07-10-2013 at 03:31 PM. Reason: added sternlight relocation
Old 07-10-2013, 03:58 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
I always thought the storage areas on my 93 were useless for modern skis. My father in law's 98 has a much wider one, which will accomodate skis, but the skis tend to wear on it.

My Nautique has just the top portion and it works well. There is some netting on the port side (not pictured), but you can see how wide open it is on the starboard side. It gives the feeling of a lot more space (because there is more floor space).

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:33 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 X1
If you wakeboard, this is a clever option that allows you to stow fat sacs out of site when skiing or otherwise not in use.

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/...-direct-drive/
Old 07-15-2013, 05:26 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1989 Prostar 190, 351 Indmar
Greg, I will be very curious to see what you come up with. I have the same dilemma in my '89 PS, not enough usable storage, and a small boat. I have thought about removing mycoaming pads too as they are starting to come apart as well. I do like the bungee cord net idea.
Good luck,
Kevin
1989 ProStar 190 with "Safe T Top", 351 Ford, GT 40 heads painted Ford Blue, Elec. Ign, 1:1, 720 hours, 4 blade prop, PP 6.5, removable platform brackets, custom color from factory, hot water shower, Boat Buddy & LED lights on trailer
2010 D3 Z7, 2 @ 32 off, 34 mph so far