Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Old 07-09-2013, 11:57 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2001 X star
Wait I probably shouldn't use a rotary now that I think about it as it will burn through the plastic. I'l use my DA instead.
Old 07-15-2013, 04:22 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2000 Mastercraft Prostar 195 - LTR, ZeroFlex Tower
It may sound crazy, but nail polish remover works great on getting rid of the yellow on plastics, returning the nice white.
Old 07-15-2013, 04:44 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft, x-star, 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by airwear View Post
It may sound crazy, but nail polish remover works great on getting rid of the yellow on plastics, returning the nice white.
That sounds like it might be worth a shot!
Old 07-24-2013, 08:24 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Matercraft Prostar205v
GOOF OFF worked on mine! Cleaned it right off!! 3 seconds!! Let me know

Goof off worked on rubber dock rash Nd scuffs as well!
Old 06-25-2014, 05:05 AM
MC Fanatic

TA worked well for a quick wipe but tonight I removed them and buffed with the rotary and 3m Imperial Compound then 303'd. Hopefully I am Done with these for a while.

Old 06-25-2014, 11:07 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 Mastercraft X1
I painted my vents and the back blower cover black. It looks so much better than the white. ALl of my cup holders are black plastic. The metal ones are kinda pricey.
Old 06-25-2014, 12:00 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1990 Prostar
There are a few methods that have worked for me over the years to get things back (or close) to there original plastic color.

1. If you have time on your side, it is surprising how well submerging the parts in a strong bleach/water solution works (it always seems like I get caught by the wife using her storage containers, when using this method).
2. The dishwasher works really well. Before you put the parts in, put dish washing liquid (or make a paste if you use powder) on the parts.
3. Make yourself a Soda blaster. Here's a link to one of many on YouTube http://youtu.be/5vuENNhOMQs (just search on DIY baking soda blaster). You can make one for less than $20. Sams Club sells baking soda cheap and in large quantities. Once your done with your plastic job, you'll be ready to clean carburetors (yet another preferred method to clean the Carbs on some our older 4160 equipped motors).
4. Bar Keepers Friend. The stuff works great on a whole lotta different thing. I actually use this to clean the front windshields on my vehicles when I wash them. It's a powder and can be found near Comet/Ajax at Walmart or your local supermarket. Comes in a gold can (very similar to comet/Ajax packaging) BUT it is non-abrasive. I use it on solid surface cooktops, shower door glass, I even polish metal with the stuff.

Good Luck! Hope one of these ideas help ya!
Old 06-25-2014, 01:43 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtbutler View Post
T
4. Bar Keepers Friend. The stuff works great on a whole lotta different thing. I actually use this to clean the front windshields on my vehicles when I wash them. It's a powder and can be found near Comet/Ajax at Walmart or your local supermarket. Comes in a gold can (very similar to comet/Ajax packaging) BUT it is non-abrasive. I use it on solid surface cooktops, shower door glass, I even polish metal with the stuff.

OK that is a good tip! I hadn't realized it was non abrasive - thought WORKED TOO WELL not to be!
Old 06-25-2014, 02:35 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2004 X2
A heat gun will fix faded plastic... don't know about the yellowing.
Used this method on a buddies jeep fender flares and they still look good years after.

Checkout YouTube to see some examples... worth a shot before you purchase new if you are to that point anyway