Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 07-27-2013, 12:55 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 89 Mastercraft Prostar 190
Leak from somewhere near transom??

So after the first weekend running my boat with the new engine it was taking on water. The boat had been sitting dry for 5 yrs until last weekend so I assumed the packing gland needed to be changed and did notice 3-5drips/second from it.. I just finished replacing and took her around the lake for a bit so I could adjust and noticed that I'm actually taking on water from a small leak that's dribbling out near the rudder plate..
I can't see the source of the leak but saw this large crack (pictured) where the water is coming in.. Not sure if this is something to be concerned with, can't tell if it's structural glass or did the resin seam just come apart?? Any ideas?

Last edited by XavierSPL; 07-28-2013 at 01:37 AM.
Old 07-27-2013, 03:56 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MC
Crack or rudder port or something else is leaking.
Old 07-28-2013, 01:36 AM
TT Enthusiast

I'd guess it's probably taking on about a gallon an hour, def need to figure this out quick. The pump float switch stopped working so have to keep running it manual every few hours until it's sorted out.
I did notice when I first dropped the boat in the water a sort of gurgling/bubbling sound coming from somewhere below the transom, wondering if I should get under there with some goggles and see if I see anything.. Haven't seen anything obvious like a crack. I'm guessing I won't be able to see the source unless I pull the gas tank.. (which of course has about 20 gallons of gas in it as of this morning).
No common areas to check?
Old 07-28-2013, 08:04 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 Prostar 214, MCX, Mini-Tower
Check the o ring around the rear drain plug if you have one, they dry ..... I bet water is seeping in past the rear drain plug if you have one.... Ooops just checked and saw you have a 190?

Back to rudder packing, add some grease, and prop packing.

"Left Foot Forward and preferring girls."
Old 07-28-2013, 10:08 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: ProStar 190, 1989, 351W
Quote:
Originally Posted by XavierSPL View Post
I'd guess it's probably taking on about a gallon an hour, def need to figure this out quick. The pump float switch stopped working so have to keep running it manual every few hours until it's sorted out.
I did notice when I first dropped the boat in the water a sort of gurgling/bubbling sound coming from somewhere below the transom, wondering if I should get under there with some goggles and see if I see anything.. Haven't seen anything obvious like a crack. I'm guessing I won't be able to see the source unless I pull the gas tank.. (which of course has about 20 gallons of gas in it as of this morning).
No common areas to check?
Put it on the trailer, put in the plug and fill the bilge with water - look underneath for leaks. I did this to discover the lead around my stuffing box.
Somewhere between SML and LKG
Old 07-28-2013, 10:19 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1996 Prostar190
The gurgling sound is just the water seeping into the mufflers; nothing to worry about.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:39 PM
TT Enthusiast

Feeling kinda stupid on this one.. While there are still the small leaks in the previous pictures, what was concerning is that they didn't seem to be letting nearly enough to account for all the water.. After all the searching I realized this was staring me in the face the whole time:

Obviously this whole thing needs to be disassembled and re-glassed. I do recall looking at this area and thinking how sloppy the glass looked but for some reason it didn't hit me and whenever I saw it in the water I thought the water was dripping down from the shaft nut.. Should make for a fun project this week.
I'm still not sure about the very minor leaks I showed in the first pic but there's so little coming from them I'm not overly concerned with it - easily remedied this winter.