Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 07-07-2013, 11:21 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: MasterCraft Prostar 190 1993 351W HO
'93 Prostar Hard Start when warm

My Prostar 190 w/ 351 Indmar (HO) starts very hard after I run for a while. I really have to pump the throttle to get it to fire. It starts fine when cold and runs fine once it finally starts. I had the marina look at the electrical last winter and it was ok, so I am assuming there is a fuel / carburetor issue. I've adjusted the primary bowl to keep it from stalling when in gear at idle, but that is all I've done with the carb. I also replaced the fuel filters. I'm about to give in and send it to the marina, but would rather hang on to my life savings. Any suggestions?
Old 07-07-2013, 08:49 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 Prostar 214, MCX, Mini-Tower
Choke ok ?

"Left Foot Forward and preferring girls."
Old 07-07-2013, 09:28 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1993 Prostar 205
Send a message via AIM to cbryan70
What model carb is on the boat?
Old 07-08-2013, 11:47 AM
TT Newbie

Elect choke does not work okay. However, when the engine is warm, I have confirmed that the the choke is open.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:50 AM
TT Newbie

The carb is a Holley with the Ford Part # F1JL-9510-EA R5048. I've read on this forum and others that the carb is junk for a marine application. I rebuilt it about 12 years ago. I'm not 100% convinced it is the carb, but had the marina confirm elect was okay over the winter. I should have left it there.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:55 AM
chriscraftmatt1976

My 93 does the same, but if I peg the throttle in reverse, she fires right up, and runs good. Just gotta be ready to take the throttle down quick. For sure a carb issue, but I'm not dealing with it until fall since the boat runs good. I'd guess yours is the same. I've got a holley 4160, and I hate it. Been a real pain. I looked at a holley throttle body injection setup to replace it, but kinda pricey. Anybody have experience with that?
Old 07-08-2013, 12:02 PM
TT Newbie

Yep. Exact same issue. I too peg the throttle in reverse as well to get a start, but hate to have "tricks" when starting in case others will drive the boat. I also occasionally have rough idle issues. Does yours idle rough as well from time to time? Would like to know if you get anywhere with the TBI conversion.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:23 PM
chriscraftmatt1976

Man, I do, really rarely. It'll run fine for a week, then for a few seconds idle rough, then bounce back to normal. I think she's dumping just a liiiiiitle too much gas, but I haven't tried adjusting the floats yet. I'm sure that'd probably fix it. Like I said, 4160 has been a real bummer for me. If I get into the injection thing this winter I'll keep you updated. I may pull the trigger. If not, I'm probably going to replace with a different carb anyway. This one ***.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:49 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1990 Ski Nautique
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscraftmatt1976 View Post
My 93 does the same, but if I peg the throttle in reverse, she fires right up, and runs good.
Anyone who thinks they need to "pump the throttle" to get a carb'd engine to start when warm should try the trick described above. Same goes for anyone who thinks their carbureted boat suffers from "heat soak". If it works, then the engine is flooded and needs air, not gas- and every time you pump the throttle you add both! Just open the throttle once and it'll start a little easier until you have a chance to fix the problem.

In the above described scenario, pop the flame arrestor off the carb and take a look down the throat to see whats happening. Check it at idle (engine running) and directly after shut down. Chances are that you will see fuel dripping. Fuel should not be dripping from the boosters while at idle, and should not be dripping at all with the engine off. Dripping fuel is the result of either a)float set too high or b)needle and seat issues. Both will allow the bowl to fill past the point where it should, and the excess fuel will end up dripping in the main body of the carb, past the butterflies and puddle in the intake manifold. EI, flood the engine.

If the engine previously ran well with the carb set up as-is, chances are good that its a needle and seat issue. It could be that the 2 parts are worn out and dont seal anymore. It could be that there is a bit of debris lodged between the 2. In any case, the solution is to pull the bowl and replace the needle and seat with a properly functioning pair. If something is new about the carb- either a fresh rebuild or a new carb- then the high float setting becomes a stronger possibility. You are also not safe from the needle and seat issue, as the poor seal between the 2 parts could be from a poor mismatch of low quality parts. The issue is surprisingly common.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:56 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2008 X1
My dad has the same boat and had the same issue. After fighting it a couple years he gave up and bought a new carb. That was about five years ago and no problems since.