Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 07-06-2013, 04:13 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2000 Prostar 195 - 350 TBI Predator, 1:1, 13x11.5 OJ 3-Blade
Storage Dilemma

Hey guys,

First off, thanks for so much great input from everyone here. This forum is super helpful while being funny, and without too many trolls

We purchased a 2000 ProStar 195 last month and we are currently storing it month-to-month in a 12x30 storage unit, which will cost me $214 a month...every month. This bothers me and I'm beginning to doubt using it.

Some points:
  • My boat is beautiful, but it's probably only a 8.5/10 so it doesn't have to remain absolutely pristine...my MCOCD isn't that bad.
  • We try to go out 2x a week, 3x if we can swing it
  • I still have the factory MC cover in great shape.
  • Home garage not an option as it would have to be shoehorned like crazy every time and I have a pretty sloped driveway and don't want to kill my old Suburban trying to back and angle this thing into the garage

Will it kill me to start leaving it covered outside in the summertime and then bring it home and take up my whole garage in the winter?

If I had a 197TT or a huge wake boat that didn't fit my garage or a new ProStar 201 I would probably keep the storage unit, just to keep the resale as high as possible. But on a boat of this vintage, I won't lose $2568/yr (cost of unit) on depreciation for it being a summer outside boat if I'm religious with proper cover installation, 303 Fabric Guard application and hull/trailer maintenance.

Late night ramble here...the point is, what would you guys do? Keep paying for the unit? Add a 2nd garage to the property and roll that cost into the mortgage? Leave the boat outside?

Thanks!
Old 07-06-2013, 04:21 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 Mastercraft X-Star
Nothing worse than a dirty boat
Old 07-06-2013, 08:01 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MC ProStar 209, 2001, LTR, Blue
After 10 years of outside storage, you will see obvious affects of the sun, wind and rain. First you will need to get a Sunbrella waterline length cover from skiboatcovers.com. It protects your boat finish 100% from the sun. It will run around a grand. There are TT'ers here that do keep their boats outside year round.
I have an '01 209 that spent its summers on a covered boat lift and the constant moisture and sun has not been that bad for it other than the hull oxidation, and mildew that was hidden everywhere when I first got it. My boat sits in the garage and two cars sit outside. I would rather have a dry and clean boat. Besides, when the kids cant find me I'm usually sitting in the boat listening to the stereo reading a magazine.
There is a difference between a pampered boat and one that has been maintained.
Old 07-06-2013, 10:08 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1992 ProStar 205, 1991 Ski Pro
zs is right. A breathable waterline cover is your best bet, and you should get Sunbrella since you live in a humid environment. It will be paid for with about 3 1/2 of your storage payments.

I'm somewhat in the same predicament. My wife and I are empty nesters, and this week we're moving from a house with five bedrooms and four car garage to one with three bedrooms and a three car garage. The smaller garage dictates that the boat is going to stay outside a lot. Yesterday I ordered a waterline cover for $685. It's going to keep the sun, dust, rain and pine needles off the boat. I have no concerns about premature weather aging with this cover. It was the best solution for me.
Old 07-06-2013, 10:34 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2001 Prostar 209
My boat stays on a covered lift with the cover on it during the summer but the weather still gets to it as do the spiders and bugs....

Just as a thought, (I don't know where you live so it might not be an option) try shopping "boat storage" on Craigslist. My buddy has done this with great success. Lots of farmers around here that have barns on property that are no longer in use so to speak so they rent out the space. Most don't mind if you take the boat in and out as long as you work that out in the agreement.
Old 07-06-2013, 10:44 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2010 Mastercraft X2
Storage Unit

I would be best to keep it in closed storage. i have a 15X30 storage unit 3 miles from the lake. I pay $90.00 a month and it's a brand new unit. I also have a slip with a lift that has screens all the way around the 12 slips that are in my group so you can't see my boat when the screens are down and it's $185.00 a month. It sounds like where you are is way to high. I might understand if you were in California but it looks like you're in NC. Prices should be close to TN which is where I am.

In my opinion nothing wears a boat out faster than storing it outside! My first question when buying a boat is has it been stored inside or outside? If they say outside I move on.
Old 07-06-2013, 11:01 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
I shoehorn mine - I use tired skates to push mine over... getting a swing away tongue next... [IMG][/IMG]

http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/2029737...a#.UdgjKvnCam4
Old 07-06-2013, 11:07 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 Prostar 190
Waterline Sunbrella cover from www.skiboatcovers.com and store it outside in the summer. I stored my 88 outside with that cover for three years and with care the boat looked better than when I bought it. Sure indoors is better but outside can be done if you use a prope cover.

1997 Prostar 190, TBI 350, 1:1, OJ XMP 13 x 11.5, Stargazer, Hot Shower, Heated Drivers Seat, Reuben/Mountain Rock/Nite Navy

Old 07-06-2013, 11:12 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 85 Stars&Stripes, safe-t-top, trick realease, boom, flitepipe pylon
Comes down to being "a boat person" or a person with a boat. Go with what works for you. When we built I was using an old Ebbtide on loan from my father-in-law. I hated leaving even that outside. Spent a little extra for the three car garage. Now I wish I had made the third stall about 5 feet deeper. This works, but we just seem to keep finding more stuff we can't live without.
I think of it as leaving the car outside with the windows down and a tarp over it. Always makes me cringe. Also, this thread makes me throw up in my mouth.
http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=793659
The cost to put that Supra right could've paid for a cheap garage.
Old 07-06-2013, 11:13 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 X-14V
Do you have access to a piece of land? I have a portable garage, which I like. It has paid for itself many times over. Here is an example

http://www.shelterlogic.ca/Shelters/...helter%20Round