Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 07-06-2013, 08:24 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1994 prostar 205 Lt1
Lt1 keeps running

Boat would not shut off replaced ignition switch next day work perfect. 2nd day battery was dead charged battery started boat same thing now not charging now I suspect short in alternator any ideas
Old 07-07-2013, 07:58 AM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft, '97 Sammy Duvall Prostar 205, Std 5.7L
Are these two events unrelated and just coincidentally occurred so closely together?

I'd make sure the belt is in good shape and not slipping. Is there a way you can check the output of the alternator?
Old 07-07-2013, 08:36 AM
TT Newbie

Output for alt was 0 just 12 volts at the battery regulator was very hot
Old 07-07-2013, 08:41 AM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
With engine running, check your charging voltage across the battery with a multi-meter. Should read between 12.8-13.8 volts.

If you unhook your ground cable, take a amp meter from battery ground post to ground cable. You should have near 0 amps. If you are reading anything over 50 milliamps there, unplug the alternator and see if the amperage drops. If it does, your alternator is draining power internally. Replace it.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:50 AM
TT Newbie

Thx all ready checked charging voltage while running only getting 12.3 volts same as battery will unhook ground cable to get a reading
Old 07-07-2013, 08:53 AM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
I had to edit my last post, it's amps your are checking with the cable disconnected....not volts.

So far, sounds like your alternator is not charging. Always replace it with a marine grade alternator, not a common automotive one.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:21 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajborel@msn.com View Post
Thx all ready checked charging voltage while running only getting 12.3 volts same as battery will unhook ground cable to get a reading
Don't disconnect any cables while it's running.

If you have a digital multi-meter, set it to measure current, disconnect the battery cable and connect one lead to the cable and the other to the battery terminal. If the bridge rectifier is bad, you'll see about 300mA of current. If it's good, you'll see almost 0 mA.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:51 AM
TT Newbie

Pulled alternator took it to shop benched checked it under load all checked good reinstalled ran boat all working normal checked as many wires as I could and connections found nothing could this be a relay that is acting up
Old 07-11-2013, 09:12 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajborel@msn.com View Post
Pulled alternator took it to shop benched checked it under load all checked good reinstalled ran boat all working normal checked as many wires as I could and connections found nothing could this be a relay that is acting up
The only thing that would normally cause this is the ignition switch and it's the one thing that makes/breaks the connection from the battery to the purple wire. The safety/kill switch, ECM, alternator and neutral safety switches all get current from the ignition switch and if the switch is working normally, there's no way for any of these to receive current when it's turned to the OFF position.
Old 07-11-2013, 02:55 PM
TT Newbie

Skied this morning all worked normal something somewhere is causing power to the purple wire. Just doesn't happen when I have the test equipment available a little frustrating