Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 07-14-2013, 08:51 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 x30
zero turn mower

In the next month or so I am going to upgrade from a lawn tractor to a zero turn. Looking at 50 inch +/-. I have about an acre with most of it wide open space.

I am not looking at commercial. Any tips or advice would be appreciated
Old 07-14-2013, 08:59 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 x-45 8.1L
My dad just bought a John Deere 445 I think was the model number. It's not a commercial grade but a step below it I think. Seems to be a really nice. His last one was a tractor style and is 15 yrs old and still working fine he just needed something bigger. IMO JD makes a long lasting good mower and half the cost of an ex mark.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:02 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1989 Mastercraft prostar 190
I Have a 48" badboy I bought at Tractor Supply. I Love it 27 horse but has a thickdeck like a commercial mower. Ihave a little over 3/4 of and acre and can cut the grass in lessthan an hour including trimming.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:05 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 Mastercraft X1
Second the bad boy. Have 50" zt.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:19 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 Maristar 210 Predator
John Deer is a great mower. I found my dad a 50" at Home Depot for a discounted rate. It is sold as a used mower bc it had some kind of warranty issue. They ended up sending it in bc it wouldn't start and had flat tires. Turned out that it needed a new battery and they fixed the tires. I believe they knocked $1000 off or so for that. Just ask someone at HD about a warranty returned product. They do this for trimmers, chainsaws and push mowers and anything else they sell. It is really hit or miss on what they have in stock though. They do the same thing with John Deer, but they rarely see them in there bc they are so well made. Oh and my dad has a Toro ZTR, 50" 22hp v-twin. He has about an acre and it can get cut in less than an hour. He was a little concerned that the 50" was going to be too big but he is pleased with the deck size. Good luck.
Old 07-15-2013, 02:46 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft 205, 1999, LTR
Just wondering if most of your acreage to mow is open space, why do you want a zero turn mower? I mow about 3 acres but we have a lot of trees and tight spots to mow around. I didn't want a zero turn mower because they are pretty limited to just mowing whereas you can use a lawn tractor for other duties. I decided to go with a John Deere X324 mower. It has 4 wheel steering and will mow a tight 9" circle but also works great for straight stretches and other lawn tractor duties. I think mine has a 48" deck on it.
Old 07-15-2013, 05:44 AM
TT Regular

Boat: Malibu LXI
A zero turn is much quicker, but as quoted, not as versatile for other towing duties etc, as always it is a balance, but jd gear is nice,
Old 07-15-2013, 06:39 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: none
Scag or Exmark, Scag is a bit heavier duty
Old 07-15-2013, 07:55 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1996 ProStar 190 LT1
it all depends on your budget really. you can get really nice residential mowers fairly reasonable or spend as much as you would on commercial. a lot of the price is in the motors and steel that is used. you will hear a lot of people complain about briggs and say only get a kawasaki (i don't even think JD uses kawasaki anymore - not 100%) but as long as you take care of your mower like you do your MC, i don't think you will have a problem. i've even heard good things about craftsman zero turns.

1*
Old 07-15-2013, 08:09 AM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinBoatin View Post
My dad just bought a John Deere 445 I think was the model number. It's not a commercial grade but a step below it I think. Seems to be a really nice. His last one was a tractor style and is 15 yrs old and still working fine he just needed something bigger. IMO JD makes a long lasting good mower and half the cost of an ex mark.
I've had that same mower for about 3 years. It's been completely reliable. The higher blade speed means you can mow well at a faster speed. I found that that 445 gets my yard mowed in about 1/2 the time that it took me with my JD garden tractor.

Couple of points to consider...

--attachments are problematic (there really aren't any). I had to keep my old garden tractor for the snowblower attachment. This ZT mower is just that...a lawn mower.

--the zero-turn aspect is one of the key advantages of such a mower, but be aware that with every zero-turn 180-degree turn you are pivoting on the inside rear wheel. That will have a distinct tendency to severely scuff your lawn right down to the dirt where that inside rear wheel pivots.