Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 07-06-2013, 02:40 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '94 prostar 190
car issue - blown engine, what to do

I was driving down the interstate and something didn't feel right, then the engine started knocking. I pulled over, shut it down, and I believe it ran out of oil. Added oil and eventually got it to start again but it's really knocking.

It is a clean '01 honda civic with 150k miles.

First, Is the bottom end probably junk? The temp gauge didn't go up, which surprises me.

If the engine is done for, it is in a parking lot right now and trying to figure out the best course of action.

Sell it on Craigslist for next to nothing?
Tow it to a junkyard for scrap? (new tires on it)
Bring it to a dealership for a trade in?

If it was just the head or something like that, I'd probably buy another less-used car, and maybe could do a little project with this one to get it running before selling.

Last edited by wtrskr; 07-06-2013 at 02:54 AM.
Old 07-06-2013, 07:07 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtrskr View Post
I was driving down the interstate and something didn't feel right, then the engine started knocking. I pulled over, shut it down, and I believe it ran out of oil. Added oil and eventually got it to start again but it's really knocking.

First, Is the bottom end probably junk? The temp gauge didn't go up, which surprises me.

If the engine is done for, it is in a parking lot right now and trying to figure out the best course of action.

If it was just the head or something like that, I'd probably buy another less-used car, and maybe could do a little project with this one to get it running before selling.
150k miles on that engine is nothing. My 98 commuter Honda just turned 282k. I'd get a mechanic to diagnose it and fix it. Even dropping in a rebuild or a junkyard find is OK unless you're just over the 91 model. It has a certain value regardless of the condition.

Good luck.

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

Old 07-06-2013, 09:35 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloaked View Post
150k miles on that engine is nothing. My 98 commuter Honda just turned 282k. I'd get a mechanic to diagnose it and fix it. Even dropping in a rebuild or a junkyard find is OK unless you're just over the 91 model. It has a certain value regardless of the condition.

Good luck.
I was thinking I had a lot more miles on her, but it must have been burning oil or something because there have been no leaks on my driveway (boat gets the garage for the summer). I pulled over thinking I had a belt issue or something rubbing on the tire. Everything look okay so I got back on the interstate, which was a bad choice.

If it is making a pretty loud knocking noise is there anything else to diagnose?

I'm planning on getting one of those tow dolly's from uhaul, just figuring out where to take it. Any idea how much an engine from a junkyard would cost?
Old 07-06-2013, 10:08 AM
MC Maniac

Quote:
I was thinking I had a lot more miles on her, but it must have been burning oil or something because there have been no leaks on my driveway (boat gets the garage for the summer). I pulled over thinking I had a belt issue or something rubbing on the tire. Everything look okay so I got back on the interstate, which was a bad choice.

If it is making a pretty loud knocking noise is there anything else to diagnose?

I'm planning on getting one of those tow dolly's from uhaul, just figuring out where to take it. Any idea how much an engine from a junkyard would cost?
I think you can find a decent junkyard engine for $2K or less. Place I deal with here in Knoxville quoted me $2800 for a junkyard engine (they would test it before install) including labor.

Hard telling what the issue is at this point. An engine wrencher may be able to diagnose and repair somewhere along the way. The Honda place I use said they stopped using the Jasper Re-mans because Jasper basically would not honor their own warranty program. So the shop stopped using their products.

I have known many Honda users to get over 300K with a few repairs along the way. However the 91 Civic may not hold it's return value (to you) in lieu of that repair money going toward a later used model.

I hope you find this post useful......

Quote:
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

Old 07-06-2013, 10:23 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:

Did you follow the recommended service intervals and parts replacement? One site I went to said the timing belt needs replacement at 110K miles or 7 years, whichever comes first and another added that it should be replaced at 60K miles if the car is driven in extremely hot (110F) or cold (-20F) climate. However, if it was ingesting oil, you should have seen evidence of this, either in smoky exhaust, fouled plugs and dark sooty deposits at the exhaust pipe ends.Look at the engine and the undercarriage- do you see oil on the engine, transmission or anything else?
Old 07-06-2013, 10:37 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
Did you follow the recommended service intervals and parts replacement? One site I went to said the timing belt needs replacement at 110K miles or 7 years, whichever comes first and another added that it should be replaced at 60K miles if the car is driven in extremely hot (110F) or cold (-20F) climate. However, if it was ingesting oil, you should have seen evidence of this, either in smoky exhaust, fouled plugs and dark sooty deposits at the exhaust pipe ends.Look at the engine and the undercarriage- do you see oil on the engine, transmission or anything else?
Do you think it could be timing belt related? I did change it, but went until 120k miles.

The car is in a parking lot right now about an hour a way (Madison) so I can't take a look at it. I changed the spark plugs about a year and a half ago and they looked fine, I think. I've done little things on my own here and there so it hasn't been into the shop in a while. Last time was at a technical college to get the AC fixed.

It doesn't get near as much love as my boat, but it gets the oil changed regularly and if anything pops up it gets fixed.

Something hasn't felt quite right about it but not bad enough that I thought it needed to be taken in. Just seemed like there was a little too much friction or something, that was even after an oil change.
Old 07-06-2013, 10:55 AM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Do you think it could be timing belt related? I did change it, but went until 120k miles.

The car is in a parking lot right now about an hour a way (Madison) so I can't take a look at it. I changed the spark plugs about a year and a half ago and they looked fine, I think. I've done little things on my own here and there so it hasn't been into the shop in a while. Last time was at a technical college to get the AC fixed.

It doesn't get near as much love as my boat, but it gets the oil changed regularly and if anything pops up it gets fixed.

Something hasn't felt quite right about it but not bad enough that I thought it needed to be taken in. Just seemed like there was a little too much friction or something, that was even after an oil change.
If the timing belt is broken, it will not start. Possible that the timing gear jumped time and it will run rough (at best) but the knocking is not likely from a timing issue. Change at 120K is OK as long as it didn't break and cause a backlash. I think the timing issue is a minimal consideration (but I am not an engine expert).

I'd get someone that knows Honda engines to look into it and diagnose it and go from there. They are pretty simple engines. I am lucky to have an exclusive Honda repair service available. They know them inside out (thus my reference to a Honda repair place).

Best of luck....

Quote:

Old 07-06-2013, 11:24 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 205
It sounds to me that you spun a rod bearing... Try calling LKQ Auto Parts -@ (800) 442-1031

They hooked me up with a gently used transmission for my old 4runner, shipped to my mechanic for $1100... Then I paid them 650 for the install.

Ring-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding...

You know they all have a little string hanging out, but it's not a tampon, it's a price tag...
Old 07-06-2013, 11:29 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:

If it seemed to be fighting something, it should have been checked out immediately. I agree- you may have spun a bearing or something but if it was low on oil, there's no apparent explanation for it at this time.
Old 07-06-2013, 11:34 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 Mastercraft X1
My dad had a 2000 civic that he sold to my sisters bf, that just crossed over 300k with only normal maintenance. What did you forget to do?