Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 07-21-2013, 07:47 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2005 X-45
Send a message via AIM to ConroePat
Steering question - X-45

I just got a used 2005 X-45; it was thoroughly checked by the dealer. The steering is fine at low speeds but gets very hard at higher speeds. Is this normal? The dealer took the cable assembly apart, greased the cable and put it back together.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:48 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 X45 Switch L18
In my experience, that isn't normal. In fact, it Should be the reverse of that.
Old 07-22-2013, 12:06 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Matercraft Prostar205v
Had the same problem in my 205v, hard steering under power. Cleaned and greased rudder shaft and major difference! If the cable it would be stiff not just under power but at idle as well. Just from my experience. Good luck!
Old 07-22-2013, 12:49 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2008 X1
Yeah drop the rudder and grease it up in there.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:54 PM
TT Newbie

Redstorm, thank you, I am trying to do just that. I have removed the pin, loosened the steering bracket and I would have expected the rudder to drop. It is still lodged in there pretty tight; is there anything else that should be removed before dropping the rudder shaft?
Old 07-24-2013, 12:42 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2013 X-30 6.0L Red w/Silver Flake
I am assuming that your X45 does not have hydraulic steering, is that right? I owned a 2012 X45 that I purchased new, and the steering was always an issue for me (no hydraulic steering). It was fine at low speeds, but very difficult to turn the wheel under power such as power turns when pulling a tube, or if I was in a hurry to get back to a fallen rider (jet skis bearing down on him). I would literally have to grab and steer with both hands and use quite a bit of force. (I know, another reason not to pull tubers). My 2013 steers effortlessly with one hand even under power, as did my 2007 X30. The dealer checked out my 2012 X45 steering and just said "its a big heavy boat."

I would love to hear from other X45 owners on here who do not have the hydraulic steering and see if they had the same issue as I might want to own another X45 one day. Is this just normal for such a big boat?
Old 07-24-2013, 01:05 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MC, X-45, 2006, LQ9
I don't having any problems driving my X45 with steering moving slow or fast. I don't believe I have hydraulic steering but I could check if you tell me what to look for to confirm.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:52 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Matercraft Prostar205v
Don't know if you have the same type of rudder. Mine has a zerck fitting to grease the rudder shaft with a pin hole located at the base of the shaft under the hull. As your greasing the shaft look for a stream of grease to exit the pin hole. Do you have a zerck fitting on your steering box/rudder shaft?? There should be 4 screws under the boat at the rudder. Remove and drop the rudder.

I believe there is thread on here with photos. Do a search under steering / stiff steering.

Last edited by Redstorm; 07-24-2013 at 02:10 AM.
Old 07-24-2013, 05:45 AM
TT Newbie

My boat does not have hydraulic steering. As far as removing the rudder shaft, the dealer told me to remove the cotter pin that is supposed to hold the rudder in place in case the steering arm gets loose, then to loosen the steering arm that clamps the shaft in place. The service manager even told me to place a jack under the rudder to prevent it from falling off. I have done all these things but the rudder is still firmly lodged into the port. I believe the assembly with the four screws through the hull is called the rudder port. I will call the dealer again to make sure the four screws holding the port do not need to be removed to pull the shaft. I will post my findings and hopefully resolve on the site.
Old 07-24-2013, 05:51 AM
TT Newbie

BoulderX45, you do not have hydraulic steering, in fact, your boat should be identical to mine. I was told that Mastercraft did not make the X45 until late 2005 and to confirm that, I downloaded the 2005 manual. The X45 is not mentioned until 2006 manuals were printed. Bottom line, we have the same boat, no hydraulic steering.