Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 07-06-2013, 08:47 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '94 prostar 190
That last picture is your knock sensor.

I'm pretty sure it is one of the two wires near the front of your engine on that first picture. I believe the one on right near the triangle (which is the t-stat) is the temp sensor for your dash. The one on the left is the temp sensor for the for the ECM. Not 100%, but think that is the case.
Old 07-06-2013, 08:52 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1996 Prostar 205
Thanks wtrskr,

I believe you may have them switched. The larger sensor on the left has been replaced when I was having issues with my temp gauge.
Old 07-06-2013, 09:05 AM
TT Enthusiast

I've always thought mine might run a little rich so I may test mine too. Let me know how you end up going about testing if you do. Mine throws no codes but I do get a little soot buildup just below and around the exhaust flaps.

If you want to test for codes, you don't need to buy a scanner. You just need a paper clip.

Does your dash have an engine temp light for warning of an overheat? If so, you turn the key to the ON position, engine OFF, then put the ends of the paperclip into terminals A and B of the code scanner thingy. It will start flashing the codes on your dash light. You can google paperclip and code reading.
Old 07-06-2013, 07:20 PM
TT Enthusiast

Mark,

Thanks for the info on the engine coolant sensor. Changed it out today and the boat great with no black smoke. I didn't even have to wipe around the swim platform after pulling it out of the water!

wtrskr,

Before installing the sensor I tried the paperclip trick but my check engine light didn't flash anything at all, not even the code 12? I'm guessing that the light is not even hooked up for some reason. I have a "check engine" and "transmission temp" light on my dash. Are these supposed to light up at any time during start-up like in a car?

Thanks again gentlemen.

Aaron
Old 07-06-2013, 08:42 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by supturb89 View Post
Mark,

Thanks for the info on the engine coolant sensor. Changed it out today and the boat great with no black smoke. I didn't even have to wipe around the swim platform after pulling it out of the water!

wtrskr,

Before installing the sensor I tried the paperclip trick but my check engine light didn't flash anything at all, not even the code 12? I'm guessing that the light is not even hooked up for some reason. I have a "check engine" and "transmission temp" light on my dash. Are these supposed to light up at any time during start-up like in a car?

Thanks again gentlemen.

Aaron
Glad you got it fixed. Did you have the ignition key turned to the right when you tried it?

On my '94 I don't have a check engine light but there is another method to see the flashing. You take an led light (small trailer light or something like that) and you put the ends into, I want to say, terminals E and F. Those give the power for the led light. You don't want to screw up the terminals so I'd double check that somehow first. It can be a little tricky holding the paper clip and the led light at the same time.
Old 07-07-2013, 05:25 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft X5 2001. 310hp preditor
My temp sensor did not trigger a code! Follow the paper clip method but don't be surprised if there are no codes.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:36 AM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by supturb89 View Post
Mark,
I had this problem last month, the check engine light should come one when you turn the ignition on, just like your car, then go off when started.

Mine never came on as in never for the last 10/12 yrs I've had it, it turns out it was never connected!

There was a stray wire (brown-purple I think) in at the rear of the engine not connected to anything. Plus there is a white 2 pin connector floating around in the same region which on mine had both bungs in the socket side i.e. blanking it off. I compared it to a 97 ProStar with the same engine and that spare wire was connected to the plug. I did a few checks with a multi-meter and a test light then plugged the wire into the matching pin and like magic the check light works - finally got some fault codes out of it

Chris
Old 07-10-2013, 10:31 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislandy View Post
I had this problem last month, the check engine light should come one when you turn the ignition on, just like your car, then go off when started.

Mine never came on as in never for the last 10/12 yrs I've had it, it turns out it was never connected!

There was a stray wire (brown-purple I think) in at the rear of the engine not connected to anything. Plus there is a white 2 pin connector floating around in the same region which on mine had both bungs in the socket side i.e. blanking it off. I compared it to a 97 ProStar with the same engine and that spare wire was connected to the plug. I did a few checks with a multi-meter and a test light then plugged the wire into the matching pin and like magic the check light works - finally got some fault codes out of it

Chris
Thanks for the info. Will look around more next weekend.

Tags
exhaust, smoke, tbi