Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-09-2013, 11:05 PM
Nateb Nateb is offline
TT Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Boat: 2007 xstar
Location: Midwest
Posts: 17
Fuel pump help

Completely stumped..... Boat is an 07 xstar SS with 6.0 crusader. Ran boat for about 3 hours the other day and everything ran fine with no issues. Make it 100 yards from the dock and the fuel pump dies. Cycle the key a few time pump kicks on and motor starts up with no issues. Make it another 10 yards boat dies again. Repeated same process cycling key, boat starts up just fine and gets me to the lift.

So without question it's the notorious fuel pump. Ok no biggie have a spare one brand new in the box just because I knew I was due for one (pretty sad knowing that owning a boat that retailed 100k when new but that's a whole other story) any way, threw the new fuel pump in and bam same exact problem. Hooked up to the computer and there are no fault codes, no check engine lights no alarms, nada.

Went through all the connections and checked all the grounds and everything looks good. Any ideas ? Also the pump is the exact same Carter pump used in all fresh water series, so the salt series should have no bearing on this issue that I would think.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-10-2013, 12:06 AM
Jim@BAWS's Avatar
Jim@BAWS Jim@BAWS is offline
MC Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Boat: 1996 PS 190 LT-1/Powerslot
Location: Land O Lakes. FL
Posts: 5,123
OK...you are upset at something that is unrelated...Did you purchase the boat new or used?

First problem is, a COMPUTER is not going to give you the answer you need.

You are correct on one thing...the fuel pumps are the same in a fresh or an SS boat

Jim@BAWS
__________________
James (Jim) Kranendonk Pres-BAWS
Tampa Bay's Exclusive MasterCraft Dealer

www.BAYAREAWATERSPORTS.com
(813) 996-BAWS (2297)
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-10-2013, 08:11 AM
davidstan's Avatar
davidstan davidstan is offline
MC Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Boat: 2008 X2
Location: AL/GA
Posts: 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim@BAWS View Post
OK...you are upset at something that is unrelated...Did you purchase the boat new or used?

First problem is, a COMPUTER is not going to give you the answer you need.

You are correct on one thing...the fuel pumps are the same in a fresh or an SS boat

Jim@BAWS
Jim, as a dealer do you see many 08's in for pumps or did a tweak to the system take place between 07 and 08? I seem to read here about a lot of 07 and wonder if next yr we start reading about 08's and so on.
__________________
David
2008 X2 MCX
1999 Maristar 210 (sold)
1996 Bayliner 2050
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-10-2013, 08:56 AM
bturner2's Avatar
bturner2 bturner2 is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
Location: Brighton, MI
Posts: 2,366
Nate it does sound like fuel but I'm not so sure it is or was ever the pump. Based on your symptoms it sounds like you may have bad gas or a plugged filter. I think all of us have been bit with jumping to conclusions on problem resolution and starting throwing parts at a problem (see my stereo post if you need an example).

So the first questions would be.......

Is this your first time out this year?
Did you fill up recently?
When you pulled your pump were you able to make a visual check of the fuel quality?
When you had your pump out did you change the filters (especially the filter directly attached to the fuel pump)?
Were you able to check the fuel rail pressure before and after changing the fuel pump?
I believe the SS series has a water separator in line to the fuel rail. Did you change that first? and has it ever been changed?

Don't mean to fire a ton of questions at you but these are some of the thoughts I have based on your issue.......
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-10-2013, 09:23 AM
CantRepeat's Avatar
CantRepeat CantRepeat is online now
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Boat: 06 X30
Location: Roll Tide!!
Posts: 8,625
I don't recall off hand, but JimN, said something about the connector to the full pump itself and having seen issues with that in the past.
__________________
Tim
Gone, surfing.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-10-2013, 11:42 PM
Nateb Nateb is offline
TT Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Boat: 2007 xstar
Location: Midwest
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by bturner2 View Post
Nate it does sound like fuel but I'm not so sure it is or was ever the pump. Based on your symptoms it sounds like you may have bad gas or a plugged filter. I think all of us have been bit with jumping to conclusions on problem resolution and starting throwing parts at a problem (see my stereo post if you need an example).

So the first questions would be.......

Is this your first time out this year?
Did you fill up recently?
When you pulled your pump were you able to make a visual check of the fuel quality?
When you had your pump out did you change the filters (especially the filter directly attached to the fuel pump)?
Were you able to check the fuel rail pressure before and after changing the fuel pump?
I believe the SS series has a water separator in line to the fuel rail. Did you change that first? and has it ever been changed?

Don't mean to fire a ton of questions at you but these are some of the thoughts I have based on your issue.......

Yes first time out.
Yes it's fresh fuel
The filter and sock look brand new, no restrictions there that I can tell
No fuel water separator. It's the same fuel pump and system as the fresh water series.

I went through all my connections from the pump to the relays to the computer and no bad connections or corrosion. Took it out again tonight for about 3 hours and no issues. Will keep taking it out to see what happens. If not I would venture to say its the brain box. Really hope that's not the case$$$
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-11-2013, 10:44 AM
slwayland slwayland is offline
TT Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Boat: 2008 X45
Location: South
Posts: 45
I have a 2008 x45 with mcx with the exact same symptoms.....I ordered the replacement $570 fuel pump from Mastercraft. (Scared to do the cheap auto zone version). Pump should be here today and I will advise what I find as well.....hmmmmm
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-11-2013, 12:05 PM
chriscraftmatt1976
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
unhook the out hose from the fuel pump and cycle the key and you'll know real quick if it's a fuel pump issue. if gas doesn't squirt everywhere, bingo! may want to connect another hose to the pump and point it into a cup while a buddy turns the key for ya...
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-11-2013, 12:09 PM
CantRepeat's Avatar
CantRepeat CantRepeat is online now
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Boat: 06 X30
Location: Roll Tide!!
Posts: 8,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by slwayland View Post
I have a 2008 x45 with mcx with the exact same symptoms.....I ordered the replacement $570 fuel pump from Mastercraft. (Scared to do the cheap auto zone version). Pump should be here today and I will advise what I find as well.....hmmmmm
You could have purchased a fuel pressure test gauge for about $20 bucks. It would have let you know whether or not you need to spend near $600.
__________________
Tim
Gone, surfing.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-11-2013, 12:10 PM
CantRepeat's Avatar
CantRepeat CantRepeat is online now
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Boat: 06 X30
Location: Roll Tide!!
Posts: 8,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscraftmatt1976 View Post
unhook the out hose from the fuel pump and cycle the key and you'll know real quick if it's a fuel pump issue. if gas doesn't squirt everywhere, bingo! may want to connect another hose to the pump and point it into a cup while a buddy turns the key for ya...
Just because it pumps fuel doesn't mean it's pumping or maintaining the correct pressure.
__________________
Tim
Gone, surfing.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:54 PM.