Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 07-01-2013, 02:18 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Boatless!!! NXT? X2?
Am I off base?

So I am a little irked about what happened out on the lake I keep my boat on. Wanted to see if I am off base. If I am I can man up to that and say I was wrong. Just wanted opinions.

The lake is 740 acres. There is a smaller south end and a much larger north end. The north end probably is 500 plus acres. They are split by a no wake zone.

The south end has a point that juts out over half way across the lake. It is on the extreme south end, maybe 100 yards from the end. The point leaves maybe a 50 yard passage way to get through. This point/sandbar is where most people anchor to get out and party or play games etc. Any given Saturday or Sunday there is between 15 and 30 boats tied up mid afternoon.

In my mind, I would never tube, wakeboard, ski or whatever in this area when people are tied up, just out of respect for people enjoying the lake. To me its an etiquette thing and there is an entire north end with no one anchored like that. I dont think that is too far fetched or crazy. Its a fairly confined area and I wouldn't want to be making turns on that end of the lake causing roller after roller. Maybe its just me. Whats your thoughts?

I ask because i watched this guy pull tubers around us 5 or 6 times and then pull a skier causing roller after roller. The last time he went by I was standing in the front of my boat and I just looked at the guy and threw my arms up with the "what are you doing face". Apparently I wasnt the only one upset because someone else flipped him off. (not on my boat or tied up with me) He drops his little girl who was skiing and proceeds to come have a word with us. He is all pissed off. Talking about we shouldnt even be tied up here blah blah blah. And he knows what he is doing he used to ski for sea world. And we just said, look we understand you want to do some water sports but couldnt you do it on the other side of the lake where no one is tied up. Obviously, we didnt end up agreeing. Oh well.

I completely understand he has the right to use the lake as he sees fit and is not breaking laws by doing anything where we are tied up. I just felt like it was an etiquette thing. I wouldnt have wake boarded right there at all. Wouldnt even cross my mind.

I dont know. I could be off base here. What is everyone's thoughts?
Old 07-01-2013, 02:21 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2006 Supra 20V
Reference surf etiquette thread... haha

Doesn't seem unreasonable to me that he goes elsewhere when people were already there. The way you exchanged words probably could have gone better, however.
Old 07-01-2013, 02:33 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzimme View Post
Reference surf etiquette thread... haha

Doesn't seem unreasonable to me that he goes elsewhere when people were already there. The way you exchanged words probably could have gone better, however.
Agreed. I would have hoped the conversation could have been more constructive instead of both us basically thinking the other was wrong.
Old 07-01-2013, 02:33 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2000 Prostar 195 - 350 TBI Predator, 1:1, 13x11.5 OJ 3-Blade
If only the lake had defined lanes...

I used to throw my arms up at people driving around or tubing, but then I learned it was pointless and just ruined my enjoyment of being on the water.

We just go out early and head out on weeknights to avoid these types; there is no reasoning with them and they have no knowledge of watersports etiquette...but it's a public waterway and they can go wherever they please.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:13 PM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
Lots of lakes have a "sandbar" area for raft-ups. People should know not to make huge wakes near those areas.

Why don't the boaters there raft-up in the no wake zone? Seems like the better place to me.
That's how they do it on most lakes/rivers that I frequent.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:31 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 Prostar 197
After boarding and skiing, we hit the sandbar every time we're out. and It's easy to spot the long time boaters from the pikers. Even though there is not a defined no wake zone, the veteran/considerate operators always idle past OR in the case of ski and bass (gasp) boats go by at speed, throwing nearly zero wake. But there are the frequent tubers, boarders and pleasure boaters that come through at mid-power sending huge rollers to the 30 - 80 boats moored at the bar. This is on a huge waterway that has no lack of recreational spots--it's probably a 10 mile long river/lake/reservoir.

Whaddya gonna do. . .! I just keep an eye on my anchors, my prop away from the sand, and remember karma. I also remember which boats are the leading repeat offenders--keep your tanks full and your battery charged cuz you're not getting a tow from me.

Oh, let me also give a sincere shout out to the many considerate operators that have passed me at idle while teaching the kids to board/ski. Gotta remember to give props to the really cool people.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:33 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlawler34 View Post
And he knows what he is doing he used to ski for sea world.
So, was he in a Blue Prostar 197 and screen name "Tex?"

In all seriousness, he is within his rights to pull anywhere he wants to. That does not mean however he isn't a douche.

Ring-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding...

You know they all have a little string hanging out, but it's not a tampon, it's a price tag...
Old 07-01-2013, 03:35 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseydave View Post
Lots of lakes have a "sandbar" area for raft-ups. People should know not to make huge wakes near those areas.

Why don't the boaters there raft-up in the no wake zone? Seems like the better place to me.
That's how they do it on most lakes/rivers that I frequent.
The no wake zone is pretty deep on either side, and its also a narrow channel. With the heavy boat traffic this lake gets, it is hard to anchor near the no wake or in it. Otherwise i agree it would make more sense to be at or near it.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:37 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kweisner View Post
After boarding and skiing, we hit the sandbar every time we're out. and It's easy to spot the long time boaters from the pikers. Even though there is not a defined no wake zone, the veteran/considerate operators always idle past OR in the case of ski and bass (gasp) boats go by at speed, throwing nearly zero wake. But there are the frequent tubers, boarders and pleasure boaters that come through at mid-power sending huge rollers to the 30 - 80 boats moored at the bar. This is on a huge waterway that has no lack of recreational spots--it's probably a 10 mile long river/lake/reservoir.

Whaddya gonna do. . .! I just keep an eye on my anchors, my prop away from the sand, and remember karma. I also remember which boats are the leading repeat offenders--keep your tanks full and your battery charged cuz you're not getting a tow from me.

Oh, let me also give a sincere shout out to the many considerate operators that have passed me at idle while teaching the kids to board/ski. Gotta remember to give props to the really cool people.
Exactly. I love seeing considerate boaters and give them props. I hope people think the same as me. I just try to be as considerate as possible because at the end of the day everyone is trying to enjoy their day.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:38 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxsRiverRat View Post
So, was he in a Blue Prostar 197 and screen name "Tex?"

In all seriousness, he is within his rights to pull anywhere he wants to. That does not mean however he isn't a douche.
Haha that basically sums it up. Can you do it? Yes. Should you? That the never ending debate ha.