Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 11-04-2012, 09:45 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1990 Tristar 190 and 1998 Baha Cruiser Mach 1 290
Water Intake leaking

Hello,

1989 Tristar had spent most of the summer working on getting this boat running. Once I got it running I had noticed that the boat had lots of water coming in the boat. I did notice and fix a leaking exhaust but today I noticed that the area around the water intake and along the I guess you could say seam that has caulk that looks pretty bad shape was leaking appeared to have water coming in.
1) can this be repaired by removing caulk and replacing with the 3m 5200 caulk or is it more serious than that?
2) around the water intake there seems to be some sort of rubber around the intake area that you can see in the picture, can this be easily repaired also?

I do not think this is where the majority of the water is coming from however. I know when I run the boat while at the dock I can rev the motor all day long and it doesnt seem to take on any water, its only when I go down the lake that I notice water comes in (when the back swim deck is under water) and it is a fair amount of water.. Is it possible that the area beneath the rub rail has some sort of leaking area to seal during the winter? Or any other areas to look at during the winter.

Thanks for any advice I know someone must have had similar problems.
Attached Images

Old 11-04-2012, 10:02 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 99' Sportstar
I just got done fixing this on my boat. I wasn't experiencing water leaking. Just noticed that the fit was a little lose when I pulled my raw water hose off for winterizing. I used some black silicone rtv. Did the same with my exhaust flanges coming thru the hull, back this spring. Where I noticed the oem silicone had dried out and allowed some leaking.

Cleaned up the bulk head fitting.

Put a nice bead of rtv on the inside and out then re-sandwiched the bulk head thru the hull.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by carlsonwa; 11-04-2012 at 10:05 PM.
Old 11-04-2012, 11:18 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Thanks for the pics... I check my '95 now every spring...that sealant can only last so long...
Old 11-06-2012, 05:02 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1984 Stars and Stripes Powerslot
Having just put a run-aground 19 skier back on the water last month, looking for leaks is fresh on my mind. What I would do is remove all access covers, etc, so you can see all the likely areas for water intrusion, and then take the boat out with an assistant/co-driver so you have a chance to view the areas while at speed. I mean it could be leaking mufflers, leaking exhaust hose, leaking shaft seal, leaks around the shaft log, etc. It should be obvious though. Your helper is key -- have him/her drive while you look for the leak, or vice versa lol.

On mine we had to do some glass repair around the shaft log area -- my guess is that it flexed it when the boat was run aground (before I purchased it) and opened up some small cracks.
Of course the prop strike damage on the bottom of the hull had to be repaired too, but that was not the source of the leakage.

If your rub rail is where mine is, I think it would be unlikely as a source for your leak -- too high up on the hull, and not exposed to enough water during normal running.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:40 PM
TT Enthusiast

I do have the floor right behind the dog house off and have taken the ride to see that it is not the exhaust coming from the manifolds or the shaft leaking. It seems to be coming from further back. Either the exhaust where it exits the boat or somewhere else will try to take as much off and go for another ride hope to find out where it is coming from before I have to take it out of the water.. thanks for all the advice..I know there is some coming in from the seal that is broken in the pictures but I dont think that is where the majority of the water is coming from..
Old 11-06-2012, 11:34 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1991 ProStar 190
The exhaust flanges can get old and go bad and cause leaks, as well as the hoses leading to the flanges.

Old 11-07-2012, 01:03 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1988 tristar 190
The rudder Can leak a bit also. Mine leaked through the rub rail. And the strut bolts ,tracking fins where lose and falling off and leaking Also.

1988 mastercraft tristar (open bow).
Old 11-12-2012, 10:45 PM
TT Enthusiast

I took the boat out this weekend took out all parts I could to locate the leaks.. And I found that the exhaust flange screws were dripping a little bot of water, probably moved it a little bit putting the exhaust back in after re-glassing them. I also found that the majority of the water was coming from the speedo cables where they exit the boat.. Looks like after I fix both of those it should be water tight next season..Glad it wasn't nothing more serious.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:24 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1994 Maristar 225 LT1
> I also found that the majority of the water was coming from the speedo cables where they exit the boat

For folks that go to a GPS speedo, is it common to just patch this hole up? or maybe repurpose to move depth transducer from inside bilge to outside hull?
Old 11-14-2012, 11:38 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 99' Sportstar
When I installed perfect pass this summer I left the speedo pick ups alone. Kept it oem looking plus I didn't want to see a bunch of empty screw holes

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk