Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Old 05-01-2007, 12:25 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1983 MasterCraft Stars and Stripes
Help finding parts for restoration.....

This is my first post here. I purchased a 1983 Mastercraft Stars and Stripes just this past weekend. I'm tickled; the boat is in great shape.

Other than a good buffing job there's really not much that I'm going to do with the fiberglass. I would, however, like to replace some trim and accessories as listed below:

Rubber bumper rail
Instrument panel
Steering wheel
Side windshield glass

Everything else I can repair and paint.

As for the instrument panel, Iím open to any suggestions. I have no desire to keep the boat original, I just want it to look nice. If there is a kit that will replace everything, gauges and all, Iím OK with that.

Thanks in advance!

Hereís a little eye candy!

Old 05-01-2007, 08:44 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 X-14 MCX w/Powerslot
I need the dash panel for my 87 prostar. I was thinking about taking mine off, gluing the broken pieces back together, sanding it smooth, and dunking it in some imitation rhino-lining. any thoughts on that?
Old 05-01-2007, 09:51 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1983 MasterCraft Stars and Stripes
I took another good look at my dash this morning. Its really in good shape. I previously stated that I wouldn't mind a complete new unit but after further review it is not necessary. Like you, I just need the panel. I'll research a few options and report back.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:56 AM
TT Enthusiast

sounds good; i was thinking about doing the line-x stuff on the windshield frame as well
Old 05-01-2007, 10:02 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1989 Tristar 190
Rubrail was most likely made by tacomarine.com Can be purchased online through westmarine.com, boatersworld.com.
Gauges were most likely VDO and replacement sets can be purchased through sites like egauges.com as well as West and Boater's world.
Keep it as original as possible... my .02
Old 05-01-2007, 10:16 AM
TT Enthusiast

does anyone know what the dash console panel is made of? It's a rubbery plastic material (87 prostar)...I'm just wondering what will adhere to it
Old 05-01-2007, 02:27 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1984 Stars and Stripes powerslot
Here is a thread on what I did to my 84 dash:
http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/sh...=jeweling+dash

I'm not sure what "panel" you're talking about got pics of the dash?
I agree with West Marine for Rub Rail the rubber insert is inexpensive and easy to install (just add boiling water) the shipping on the Aluminum rail killed me.
Steering wheels can be orderd through almost any auto parts store I used Car Quest and they had a near original one for under $50.00
Side windshield glass might be tough to come by I'm assuming you have the little spider web cracks in the plastic? Mine were also alittle hazey and polished them with meguires plastic polish and a buffer and they turned out pretty well. Might be able to get a local glass shop to cut new plastic??
Boat looks super clean congratulations. Travis
Old 05-01-2007, 02:42 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 99 OB SportStar
Send a message via AIM to jraben8 Send a message via MSN to jraben8
That is a fantastic looking boat. I didn't remember the striping on the motor box like that on an '83 but that was a long time ago...

Oh, and a number of years ago, I was able to purchase a new '87 Prostar dash from Darrell Moore (dealer) in Houston. Might be worth a phone call or one of the guys that hang out here may be able to help.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:43 PM
MC Hero

Boat: Gone
Quote:
Originally Posted by trunderw
does anyone know what the dash console panel is made of? It's a rubbery plastic material (87 prostar)...I'm just wondering what will adhere to it

You are apparently talking about the whole dash surround that the gauges, switch plates set in that has the leathery texture to it, right? It is a molded vinyl faced piece that has a fairly hard plastic foam structure. Cleaned up and a good application of Armor-All or 303 Protectant will normally bring them back to life, but over a few days, it will soak in and leave the surface a nice matt black instead of shiney.

Quote: 2RLAKE,
At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.

Last edited by TMCNo1; 07-28-2007 at 09:30 PM.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:53 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 1982 Skier19, Powerslot, 351PCM
The side panels of the windshield are close to flat if not completly flat. I think you can replace with clear plastic or lexan sheet cut to size.

I updated my dash a few years ago. The orginal "wood grain" was faded and I replaced the dash panels (both upper and lower) with 1/4 in. oak plywood. I added about 10 coats of spar urethane and it still looks good.
I also updated the speedometers and other gauges and added a depth meter.