Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 05-18-2013, 06:25 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 x30
Hit a log #$%*&@%!!!

On the river today and there was a very tall fallen palm tree just under the surface. I was going about 18-20 when it caught my eye and I cut throttle immediately. I would estimate i was going 12-15 when I hit it and it wasn't a come to a complete stop hit... more of a jar/bump. Afterwords there was a noticeable vibration so I putted back to the marina....

Questions (see link for video) https://vimeo.com/66476806

1. Prop still turns with one hand which would lead me to believe the strut and the shaft are ok. ....correct?
2. rudder seams to have some play- not sure how much is normal
3. One blade is a bit bent. I had to really look and feel for it (could a barely bent prop cause a noticeable vibration? never had one bent in the 6 years of having an inboard)

I have been thinking about re-proping anyway so I may do that but I don't want to put on a new prop and still have something wrong and have to then shell out money for a strut , shaft etc... if everyone's opinion is the prop ill go prop and play the odds. If its get a run-out gauge and check shaft etc... then its going to the dealer and to save some coin ill have the prop fixed.

Thanks in advance for the input.
Old 05-18-2013, 06:28 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MC
Prop, shaft or strut. You should be able to look from behind the boat and see if the strut is bent..
Old 05-18-2013, 06:40 PM

Boat: 06 X30
I'd bet money it's just the prop. We hit something once that I didn't even see the vibration was crazy bad.

It only takes a little ding.
Attached Images

Old 05-18-2013, 06:49 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 MasterCraft X-30
A very slight bend will cause massive vibration. My money is on it only being the prop. Time to reprop and go aggressive!
Old 05-18-2013, 07:22 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 X2 towed by a 2012 Touareg TDI
I had a similar impact like that except it was my ex girlfriend who was putting the boat on the trailer coming in way to hot! damaged prop but it was repaired by oj props.

make sure you check and see if you have any water coming in out of the rudder port. I did and it turned out it damaged the rudder port seal which I replaced.
Old 05-18-2013, 07:48 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1996 Prostar190
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttu View Post
I had a similar impact like that except it was my ex girlfriend who was putting the boat on the trailer coming in way to hot! damaged prop but it was repaired by oj props.

make sure you check and see if you have any water coming in out of the rudder port. I did and it turned out it damaged the rudder port seal which I replaced.
Noticed it was your ex girlfriend. Was that the reason for the split?
Old 05-18-2013, 08:10 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 X2 towed by a 2012 Touareg TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricford View Post
Noticed it was your ex girlfriend. Was that the reason for the split?
hey it wasn't her first time bending a prop on the trailer but yes it was her last!!!!
Old 05-18-2013, 08:20 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2003 Prostar 209 MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttu View Post
hey it wasn't her first time bending a prop on the trailer but yes it was her last!!!!
Thats why I NEVER did let my Ex drive the boat. She would have found every rock, stump, log in the lake... lol
The one time I told her to watch the boat and dont let it rub against the dock while I went to park the car I came back with her back to the boat talking to some people while the boat was rubbing against the dock I learned my lesson!
Old 05-18-2013, 08:48 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 07 xstar
100/1 its the prop
Old 05-18-2013, 11:12 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200VRS, 1995, Indimar 5.7, My first MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by fskof View Post
Thats why I NEVER did let my Ex drive the boat. She would have found every rock, stump, log in the lake... lol
The one time I told her to watch the boat and dont let it rub against the dock while I went to park the car I came back with her back to the boat talking to some people while the boat was rubbing against the dock I learned my lesson!
My fiance and my brother were half passed out drunk in the boat. My old boat. Anyways, went to go get the van and trailer. Told them to hold the boat to the dock. I come back and they are sleeping. My boat with them in it has floated farther than I could shout. It wasn't for about 10 minutes before one woke up and idled back. We still laugh about that. We wouldn't have been laughing if it was my MC!!!

Oh, and its your prop dude. Pretty sure.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2