Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Old 10-08-2005, 12:13 AM
TT Newbie

Gelcoat patch

Had a little mishap on my 90 tri-star and now have a not so nice little gouge on the hull at the bow. Chipped the gelcaot off in one place right along one of the ridges. Its about 3/8" long x 1/4" wide. Any one have any experience with the gelcoat repair kits?
Old 10-31-2005, 03:52 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2005 Tournament Team 197, MCX
Unfortunately, I'm getting some experience with this now on my 05... Looks like someone backed into it, and I've got two nasty gouges in the chines up near the bow (right under the numbers). I'm having them repaired at the local dealer. Apparently they can get factory matched colors that are very close. Only problem is that there is no way to compensate for fading, so if that's an issue, then you might want to restore the color as much as possible before the repair, then buff it again once the patch is complete. I don't have that problem because some IDIOT backed into my BRAND NEW boat...

I'll post again to let you know how it comes out and what it runs $$$(probably a week or two) I've got pictures of the damage that you can compare.
Old 10-31-2005, 04:52 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2009 X2, MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by typhun
Had a little mishap on my 90 tri-star and now have a not so nice little gouge on the hull at the bow. Chipped the gelcaot off in one place right along one of the ridges. Its about 3/8" long x 1/4" wide. Any one have any experience with the gelcoat repair kits?
Try this thread for some more info http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=4919

Spectrum (www.spectrumcolor.com) makes a patch repair kit matched to your gel. As noted above, if you have had some fading it might not exactly match, but I had a similar gouge and did the repair myself using one of the patch kits, and you can't even tell where it was now. Very easy stuff to work with.
Old 10-31-2005, 07:08 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by typhun
Gel coat is not a straight forward thing to repair back to unflawed originality, even with a kit.

Blah Bla Bla Blah.... I learned a lot from having new glass and gel repaired when I redid my platform when it came loose (pics by the step here on the forum). To do it right it takes a glass guy or handy guy and a little time, with color matching to be the biggest challenge, even from Spectrum.

My other is that if it's a place that you can live with, the I'd leave it be and admire the character that it gives the boat. I have been through so many boats over the years, I'd be batty if I worried about every ding and scratch, not taking away anything from your preference of keeping a boat looking nice. One can only admire that but again, a scratch or a ding gives a boat character...

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

Old 10-31-2005, 09:27 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: none
Sporty knows. There aren't many that can restore close to original. If it's something that you can live with, don't worry about it.
Anyway, you just can't take one small area and restore it, you need to spread it out a bit...
Old 11-01-2005, 12:37 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1990 Prostar 190 351
You should be able to fix a small ding yourself so that it is hardly noticeable. There should be little fading on a relatively new boat. I would caution you however that Spectrum may or may not send you a good colour match. I did some repairs on mine last winter and the colour Spectrum sent was nowhere near correct, which was very frustrating since it cost me $75.00 for a 2 ounce package that was non-returnable. Most of those charges were shipping and customs to get it to Canada so it's not as big a risk if you are in the U.S.

Good luck with it anyway. I think you can get a good result if you take your time. It really sucks that someone bonked your boat.

Bruce

New boat - 1993 Prostar 205. Bought in better shape than the 190 was but still needed some work.