Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Trailers

Old 07-01-2013, 07:03 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: X2
Dragging brake, caliper, and reservoir problems

Ok guys, here is my problem. My last long towing trip with the ’08 X2 I notice the gas mileage went way down. I jacked up the boat and trailer and spun the wheels. The right side spun several revolutions before coming to rest. The left only made it a half to 1 revolution. I took that tire off and saw the caliper in the picture. It doesn’t look like it is retracting all the way. Am I right? It also doesn’t look like the rubber is resting correctly. I have been reading many posts about the reliable caliper being junk and you should switch to the Kodiaks. My calipers are the Kodiak 225. Is this the right one? I called Orielly’s and they told me they can have one here for $36. Does that price sound right, seems too cheap to me.

My next problem is I pulled off the reservoir cap and saw the rusty fluid in the picture. I think I need to drain, clean and refill the reservoir. What is the best way to do that? Also, what do you guys do to bleed the brakes? How do you actuate the plunger on the tongue? I noticed the Kodiak caliper has a bleeder and some other cap. Is there something you need to do with the other cap?
Old 07-01-2013, 07:07 AM
TT Enthusiast

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Old 07-01-2013, 07:08 AM
TT Enthusiast

Old 07-01-2013, 08:23 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2009 X-15, MCX
A good place to get trailer parts is etrailer.com. You can call them with questions. They know thier stuff. Here's a link how to bleed the brakes. You need to get that current fluid out of there.

http://www.etrailer.com/tv-FAQ-Bleeding-Brakes.aspx

I take my hitch ball out of the vehicle reciever and use it as the lever to work the actuator.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:45 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
Just checked mine (07 x2) and it looked the same, I was horrified. I stared by using a vacuum pump to get all the fluid out of the reservoir then used a rag soaked with new brake fluid to wipe out the reservoir as best I could. Then the fun part began.

I have a motive products power bleeder (http://www.motiveproducts.com/). I need to buy the trailer brake adapter (http://motiveproducts.3dcartstores.c...er-_p_109.html) but for now have rigged up an adapter to work. I filled up the reservoir then proceeded to open the bleeder on the rear right caliper (furthest away form the master cylinder). realized that when MC painted the trailer they didn't install the bleeder dust covers so they were all plugged. With pressure still in the system I remove the bleeders one by one and ran about two quarts of brake fluid through the system reinstalling the bleeders while the pressure was still on the line. Not really the way I wanted to do this but it seems to have worked well. I'd say my brake fluid is about 80% good right now. I plan to do this again once I get the adapter and new bleeders and again every year from now on. It's really not difficult and if the boat is off the trailer it's really pretty easy.

A note on that cap..... The rubber hanging from the cap actually is a lining for the cap that should be pushed back into the cap.

My calipers seem fine but I will be watching them. I greased the slide and put anti squeal on the backs of the pads then check for heat on all the wheels after a couple rather long pulls. Everything seems to be OK so far.

I would suggest calling Kodiak and asking them about rebuilding or getting the right caliper. I believe they use different materials for their brake parts. I noticed that my bleeders were brass.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:59 AM
TT Enthusiast

Thanks for the help guys. Anything else you guys can think of that I need to do it check?

Old 07-03-2013, 06:33 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft,X-Star,2008,6.0
Seals and boots are available at etraler for under $10 per brake, they use the same seal as the Kodiak caliper. Pull the pistons out clean and polish and reassemble with new seals. With the calipers off you can purge out all that bad brake fluid. It also looks like you have a "Reliable" master cylinder wich is no longer produced. If its bad you may need to replace it as well. I have done 2 trailers and have had good luck.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:06 AM
TT Enthusiast

What do you replace the reliable master cylinder with?

Old 07-05-2013, 09:53 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
A complete UFP retro fit that they just came out with seems to be the most popular. Straight forward bolt on that most average Joes can install if you can bleed brakes.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:14 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2010 X-15 w/MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by amcmac View Post
What do you replace the reliable master cylinder with?

Threads you may be interested in:

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=53898
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=52950