Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 07-01-2013, 06:03 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2005 MC X Star, PP
Vibration but then gone???

05 XStar Running the boat for about 30 min... just cruising lake with friends when all of sudden a vibration so i sstopped the boat thinking geez what did I hit I have bent prop. I kept it dwn to less than 5 mph cruising to a hang out so I could check prop.
Felt nothing unusual.. thought oh well its still bent. We hang out for 2 hours.. crank up boat for our limp home only to notice no vibration.. so I went to 9 mph... no vibration... so I planned out to 20 and nothing.. no vibration rode another 20 min back to dock all fine.
So I decide after dinner to see if vibration comes back.. I run for 30 min and nothing.. just as I start to head in I feel a slight vibration almost like a spudder but not near as bad as earlier... I sat boat down did a quick temp gauge and oil gauge inspection.. all good. So I head home to dock.. but then again no more vibration for 20 min back in.

All I read via search is bent prop or shaft or rudder. But my issue seems different almost fuel related or a going bad harmonic balancer possibly. Or????

I did just top off my boat with fuel prior to going out.. roughly 10 gallons worth.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:05 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBrown2 View Post
05 XStar Running the boat for about 30 min... just cruising lake with friends when all of sudden a vibration so i sstopped the boat thinking geez what did I hit I have bent prop. I kept it dwn to less than 5 mph cruising to a hang out so I could check prop.
Felt nothing unusual.. thought oh well its still bent. We hang out for 2 hours.. crank up boat for our limp home only to notice no vibration.. so I went to 9 mph... no vibration... so I planned out to 20 and nothing.. no vibration rode another 20 min back to dock all fine.
So I decide after dinner to see if vibration comes back.. I run for 30 min and nothing.. just as I start to head in I feel a slight vibration almost like a spudder but not near as bad as earlier... I sat boat down did a quick temp gauge and oil gauge inspection.. all good. So I head home to dock.. but then again no more vibration for 20 min back in.

All I read via search is bent prop or shaft or rudder. But my issue seems different almost fuel related or a going bad harmonic balancer possibly. Or????

I did just top off my boat with fuel prior to going out.. roughly 10 gallons worth.
IIRC, the crank is already balanced.

Did you have a problem going more than 2000RPM? If so, check your impeller and oil cooler.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:32 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: None
It may be possible that you got something (weeds) wrapped around the shaft. It can cause a vibration and it can come off easily

Just a thought.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:37 AM
MC Fanatic

JimN.. no vibration at any rpm or speed.. Now.. the first time felt just like a prop ding.. but the second time just felt like a carb motor acting up just briefly. I slowed but then it just went away. The impeller was just replaced but anything is possible.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:39 AM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
Make sure prop nut is tight. Perhaps your fuel pump is getting weak so check it with a pressure gauge. Or you maybe just had a plastic bag wrapped around the prop that eventually came off.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:05 AM
MC Fanatic

Thks I will check those items too.. anyone els e?
Old 07-01-2013, 12:44 PM
TT Regular

Boat: MasterCraft X-14 350 mcx
I had the same thing happen to me last summer. Shut down and dove under with a mask and found a plastic bag had gotten around the shaft. Weeds will produce the same effect.
Old 07-01-2013, 01:24 PM
MC Fanatic

Thks guys... Will update if it happens again... Bring on the 4th.
Old 07-01-2013, 01:26 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
I bet it was something caught on the prop...very common on Illinois River..after rains... On Traxxx's boat a little piece of wood got caught on his prop... dove under boat... (Yes engine off) pull off 2 inch piece of would... problem solved - other times hitting some submerged brush will cause the same... hit reveres lightly see if anything floats up... I keep a dive mask to inspect prop when it happens... usually some crud wrapped around shaft.. or prop center..
Old 07-01-2013, 03:42 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxpower220 View Post
It may be possible that you got something (weeds) wrapped around the shaft.
I hate when things get wrapped around mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseydave View Post
Make sure prop nut is tight.
That's what she said

==========

I've hit several things that temporarily wrapped around the prop, and fell off once I stopped spinning it.

Ring-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding...

You know they all have a little string hanging out, but it's not a tampon, it's a price tag...