Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 07-01-2013, 01:59 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Ski Brendella, Super Comp, 1991, 351 Windsor
Deep water start driver technique

Looking for different "hit it" techniques and tips and hints. I was driving and what I do is get in in gear and then I give it gas steadily and med pace. I was able to get a intermediate deep start slalom skier up but not my rookie girlfriend (I tied 3 times for her). My pops taught me to ski and has skied his whole life he is now 66 and is unfortunately on oxygen so he is my dedicated driver when he is here. When he drove he popped my rookie (first day on any ski) girlfriend out on a slalom ski his first try. His technique is to basically hammer it from the start and back off when you reach desired speed. When he does this for me I am out and on top in right about 1 whole second. (Love my inboard)
Anyway I am looking for feedback. Any other tips, suggestions?

Last edited by svxwilson; 07-01-2013 at 02:01 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old 07-01-2013, 02:07 AM
TT Enthusiast

Here is the video.... If it works.... My ladies second time up on a slalom ski. She never even bothered learning on 2. She went straight to slalom. She is mine. Can't have her!
Old 07-01-2013, 02:14 AM
TT Enthusiast

Ok never mind. I can't get it to load. My iPad compressed the file before I uploaded it. Anyway had a 2 min video of her.
Old 07-01-2013, 02:15 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: X-2 2008
Send a message via Skype™ to Grant777
I think a progressive pull is better. If you open the throttle on my boat it'll pull the handle out my hands. (I'm 200lbs on a 6'9" ski). The big trick to starting new slalom skiers is to make sure they have a baseball grip, their arms totally straight and that knee in the chest. This allows them to be pulled up and towards to tip of the ski and prevents ploughing along. The rear foot out vs in in another preference all on its own. Take up the slack and then a good launch is all you need.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:10 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 85 Stars&Stripes, safe-t-top, trick realease, boom, flitepipe pylon
For noobs we always gave a little gentler start to avoid ripping the he handle away from them, but progressively faster once they break the surface. Remind them to be patient if using this, as they will tend to stand up too soon.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:08 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: ProStar 190, 1989, 351W
Not sure if you have a powerslot, but I can't get close to coming up on a Radar Theory (a very forgiving ski) with WOT start on mine. A slow steady pull until my hips are clear and then progressivle more throttle to get the ski on plane works for me, and everyone I've taught.
Somewhere between SML and LKG
Old 07-01-2013, 10:23 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2jp View Post
Not sure if you have a powerslot, but I can't get close to coming up on a Radar Theory (a very forgiving ski) with WOT start on mine. A slow steady pull until my hips are clear and then progressivle more throttle to get the ski on plane works for me, and everyone I've taught.
Same for me. Two fixed boots just adds too much drag coming up to go wide open. I've found that the actual way you start makes a difference too and there seems to be two schools.

One way I experienced is the "drag the skier" until they call hit it then use progressive power. This can sometimes leave the skier off balance at the start and cause a mis-start. I've found lighter skiers trend not to do well with this start for some reason. I'm getting used to this one as this is the technique the group I'm now skiing with uses.

The other is to get the rope tight but not drag the skier. I get the rope tight but will try not to actually pull the skier and instead just put the boat in and out of gear just enough to keep lined up. The pull is progressive but no dragging evolved. Most women I've pulled prefer this method. They are typically much lighter and pop out of the water easier. This method also seems to let new skiers get stable before the actual pull.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:29 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1992 ProStar 205, 1991 Ski Pro
I advance the throttle over about two seconds with experienced skiers, 3-4 seconds with others. When they yell "hit it" (or whatever) I count "thousand one, thousand two" before the throttle is wide open. Provides for a nice progressive pull, no surprises.
Old 07-01-2013, 12:47 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft PS 205 1997
The first time we went to Coble ski school my daughter (12 years old) had never been able to get up on one ski. April Coble watched her try 3 times and took her over to a wakeboard boat and attached the rope to the top of the tower. My daughter popped right out. From that time on whenever I am teaching someone to get up on 1 ski I use a tower or a fly-high pole. It pulls the skier up on top of the water verses dragging them up to plane.
Old 07-01-2013, 01:09 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
don't forget the deep V rope - got people up on first try....

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/prod...i-Rope&i=44426

I would sell mine - but shipping would cost more than rope...lol