Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Other

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-07-2005, 07:37 PM
bigmac bigmac is offline
MC Platinum
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
Location: Central Minnesota
Posts: 8,121
Rule of 100...hydrofoiling

We just got back from a couple of hours on the water in my buddy's X-10. The air temp was 48, the water temp was 50. Very comfortable in fleece under a baggy dry suit, except my feet got cold in my neoprene boots sitting around in the boat after I got out from hydrofoiling. Actually, my face got kind of cold while I was riding - my jumps all seem to have an unfortunate tendency to splash a huge amount of water right in my face when I land. We were the only boat on the entire lake, water was like glass.

What a blast!
__________________
'04 MariStar 230VRS/MCX
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-07-2005, 07:48 PM
erkoehler's Avatar
erkoehler erkoehler is offline
MC Master Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Boat: 2008 MasterCraft ProStar 197
Location: Bloomingdale, IL
Posts: 14,483
Send a message via AIM to erkoehler Send a message via MSN to erkoehler
You make me jealous......
__________________
www.lauderdalelakesmarina.com
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-07-2005, 08:00 PM
AirJunky's Avatar
AirJunky AirJunky is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Boat: Former Prostar 205 owner upgraded to an 05 Malibu vRide
Location: Liberty Lake, WA
Posts: 2,022
Sweet! Glad to hear it, Mac! Give Wiley's a call & order some dry socks. And next time you get a suit, get it with the feet already installed. That'll solve your feet problem.

Hoping to get out on Sunday. Doubt we'll break 100 yet though.
__________________
-
Bill
-former '94 PS205 owner. Still ridin my Sky Ski.....
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-07-2005, 10:17 PM
bigmac bigmac is offline
MC Platinum
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
Location: Central Minnesota
Posts: 8,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirJunky
Sweet! Glad to hear it, Mac! Give Wiley's a call & order some dry socks. And next time you get a suit, get it with the feet already installed. That'll solve your feet problem.

Hoping to get out on Sunday. Doubt we'll break 100 yet though.
I really liked that AirJunky suit that Wiley's and Adrenaline sell, with the feet and cordura butt, but the lady told me that it would be at least 3 weeks for the suit. Obviously, poor planning on my part from a timing standpoint, but I was seduced off-track by the cheap Overton's suit and by the time I re-learned that you get what you pay for, it was too late. The BI barefoot suit I got is really a nice suit, though.
__________________
'04 MariStar 230VRS/MCX

Last edited by bigmac; 10-07-2005 at 10:19 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-08-2005, 03:35 PM
bigmac bigmac is offline
MC Platinum
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
Location: Central Minnesota
Posts: 8,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac
I really liked that AirJunky suit that Wiley's and Adrenaline sell, with the feet and cordura butt, but the lady told me that it would be at least 3 weeks for the suit. Obviously, poor planning on my part from a timing standpoint, but I was seduced off-track by the cheap Overton's suit and by the time I re-learned that you get what you pay for, it was too late. The BI barefoot suit I got is really a nice suit, though.
Ordered the latex dry socks from Wiley's. Only $20....thanks for the tip.
My neoprene booties, which I've have for years for diving, were a disappointment, I confess. In addition to squishing around in cold, trapped water, they also made it more difficult to get into the foil's bindings far enough for my Cinch footstays to close well. I think that the latex booties with a medium thick sock will work better.

I hope they seal against my ankle seals well enough to allow some nice insulating socks under them to stay dry. Put them on over the suit seals, or under, d'ya think?
__________________
'04 MariStar 230VRS/MCX
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-08-2005, 05:09 PM
Foiler's Avatar
Foiler Foiler is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Boat: 93 Prostar LT-1
Location: Ohio
Posts: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac
We just got back from a couple of hours on the water in my buddy's X-10. The air temp was 48, the water temp was 50. Very comfortable in fleece under a baggy dry suit, except my feet got cold in my neoprene boots sitting around in the boat after I got out from hydrofoiling. Actually, my face got kind of cold while I was riding - my jumps all seem to have an unfortunate tendency to splash a huge amount of water right in my face when I land. We were the only boat on the entire lake, water was like glass.

What a blast!
Yep, it's that time of year for us northern skiers...sounds like you've got the right equiptment to extend your riding season a few months.
I have the neoprene boots also, I take a warm pair of hunting socks to put on while I'm not in the water. If they get a little wet it still offers enough insulation to keep my feet warm in the boat.

A helmet liner also helps keep the head warm, I got my helmet liner, gloves and boots from NRS (kayaking equiptment).
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-11-2005, 08:42 PM
bigmac bigmac is offline
MC Platinum
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
Location: Central Minnesota
Posts: 8,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiler
Yep, it's that time of year for us northern skiers...sounds like you've got the right equiptment to extend your riding season a few months.
I have the neoprene boots also, I take a warm pair of hunting socks to put on while I'm not in the water. If they get a little wet it still offers enough insulation to keep my feet warm in the boat.

A helmet liner also helps keep the head warm, I got my helmet liner, gloves and boots from NRS (kayaking equiptment).
Temps tonight were downright balmy - air 55, water 57.

It gets dark fast these days and my skiing buddies always make me go last. In order to get in my usual 30 minute run I ended up skiing in the dark with basically only the tower lights on the X-10. That actually works pretty well - never done that before but it was cool. My latex socks didn't show up yet, but I can see that's going to be a crucial addition over the next month or two. I'm regretting pulling my boat out this early, but my dock guy's schedule is such that he's coming Thursday to take the dock and lifts out. Anyway, the consequences of the Halloween Blizzard of 1991 (2 feet of snow) are still fresh in my mind, and as long as Leo keeps his boat in we're good to go. Even after his MasterCraft comes out, he'll still keep his twin-engine SeaDoo ready to go, so theoretically, we'll be limited only by ice. Theoretically...

Between my MasterCraft and the Air Chair, this is the longest and most enjoyable water sports season I've has since I blew out my knee.
__________________
'04 MariStar 230VRS/MCX
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-12-2005, 12:56 PM
SkySkiSpokane's Avatar
SkySkiSpokane SkySkiSpokane is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Boat: '95 Prostar 205 LT1
Location: Spokane WA
Posts: 221
This Pic will tell you that it's gettin colder up here. My regular drysuit is at Wileys having some seal work done so I had to borrow the "Airjunky" Santa suit. Santa is gettin an early start this year. Thanks Bill!!
Attached Images
 
__________________
Dave
'95 ProStar 205 LT1
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-12-2005, 03:22 PM
Foiler's Avatar
Foiler Foiler is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Boat: 93 Prostar LT-1
Location: Ohio
Posts: 180
Our water is now 60, hope to get out this weekend!
Funny how dedicated one becomes after you start hydrofoiling.
Hey there Santa!

One things for sure you don't have to put up with a lake that looks like this, in some ways the colder water is better.
Attached Images
 
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-12-2005, 03:36 PM
AirJunky's Avatar
AirJunky AirJunky is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Boat: Former Prostar 205 owner upgraded to an 05 Malibu vRide
Location: Liberty Lake, WA
Posts: 2,022
We guessed the water temps to be in the upper 50s. I'll have to throw a thermometer in the boat for the next time. But the drysuit made it easy to pull off. Only issue I had was I forgot to wear a vest....... Guess it's been a while, eh Santa?!
Attached Images
 
__________________
-
Bill
-former '94 PS205 owner. Still ridin my Sky Ski.....
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:15 PM.