Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 06-28-2013, 01:08 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft X2 209 RTP
Anybody know their way around the Pittsburgh rivers

Looking to take the boat to Pittsburgh July 5th-7th. Anyone know a good place to launch and/or where I can keep my boat/trailer overnight? I am staying with a friend on Mount Washington and his house is not conducive for storing my boat and trailer overnight? Any suggestions from anyone familiar with this area would be much appreciated.
Old 06-28-2013, 01:50 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 1982 Skier19, Powerslot, 351PCM
Sorry, I don't have much to offer. I am about 25 miles upstream along the Allegheny.

I do know of friends that use a public ramp near the north shore of the Ohio, near the Interstate 79 bridge. Also, there are a few marinas along the Allegheny, a few miles upstream of the point.

Right now the river is trashed. The river came up about 6 feet overnight because of the heavy rains up north. Hopefully it will be back to normal and flushed out by the 4th weekend.
Old 06-28-2013, 02:47 PM
TT Newbie

Thanks for info. I have only boated on lakes before, so it should be interesting to try the river out.
Old 06-28-2013, 03:06 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1984 Ski Nautique
Quote:
Originally Posted by x2lakewylie View Post
Thanks for info. I have only boated on lakes before, so it should be interesting to try the river out.
I hope you have a spare prop.

With the current state of the rivers and the weekend weather, you should keep checking the water levels to see if it is even worth it.
Old 06-28-2013, 03:08 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft, 1976, Stars and Stripes, Ford 350 GT
Use the sharpsburg or south side ramps they are very nice and have docks. They are public ramps. All I boat is the lock one Pgh pool. I am docked for the season in millvale, Pa 3 miles on the allegheny from the point. I would be glad to answer any questions you may have.
Old 06-28-2013, 04:08 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: mastercraft,2002,x star,5.7L indmar
+1 for south side use that ramp all the time leave truck and trailer no problems
...also river is ugly right now be 4 or 5 days before I will be in if it didn't rain again, but still chance of rain in forecast and lots of debris after flash flooding also
Also southside dock really only accommodates 1 boat so if it is busy you will wait put in early before 11 and should have no prob
Old 06-29-2013, 09:33 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft, 1976, Stars and Stripes, Ford 350 GT
Was down at the river today and yesterday. The allegheny is very high and fast. Lots of trees in the river. The mon was high but, not fast and no debris.
Old 06-30-2013, 12:40 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2014 X25 6.0
I know two things about Pittsburgh. One.....there are three rivers running through it. Two....never let your daughter around Ben Rothlisburger.....
Old 06-30-2013, 01:19 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2010 X-15 w/MCX
I grew up in Pittsburgh. All of Mount Washington is non-conducive to towing a boat around but much of Pittsburgh is like that.

Maybe see if the public lots down at Station Square area will allow you to store your boat overnight. Your friend should be able to check on that for your. Since those lots are gated, it would be safer than just finding some area to leave it. You would also be able to look down from Mount Washington to check on it - not that it would do you much good as it would take some time to get to the boat from up there. You could also just leave your vehicle there as well and take the incline up-n-down; that might be fun for a time or two.

At any rate, enjoy the city view from there. Mount Washington is always one of my favorite places to visit when back there.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:12 AM
TT Newbie

thanks GoneBoatN. Great info! I'll definitely have him look into keeping the boat at Station Square. I think they even have some docks down there, so I might be able to leave it on the water and put the trailer in the lot.