Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 06-04-2013, 09:21 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2002 Prostar 209 - SammyD Edition
help with kids (learning to ride)

Hey guys just thought I'd touch base and see what you guys did to help your kids ride. My 7 year old expressed a great deal of interest in wakeboarding/skiing this year. Up until this point he's been tube crazy. Problem is any time we get him in bindings he starts to freak out big time. How did you guys get your kids through this.

They both have a new wakeboard and trainer ski's but figured throwing them on the ski's first would help with balance etc.

We've practiced in the den all winter but think its just overwhelming him to actually do it.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:26 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft, '83 S&S Powerslot, Red Metalflake!
Dryland, Dryland, Dryland! Take that handle and pull him up from the sitting position, on the grass!

Get a boom!...

We have started all our kids this way...
Old 06-04-2013, 09:32 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 X-star
I let them try it n the grass and taught them how to get up essentially there. Took their board out and let them float around in it at the sandbar or when we stopped to swim. I also held the rope in my hands while me wife drove in order to keep them close to the boat. After they would get up I would slowly let out the rope each time till it got further and further back.

My two girls 8 and 6 now both love it as much as the tube. The rope is all the way out and nobody holds it anymore. Take small steps imo. Each time out getting more and more in depth til they start to ride.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:48 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2013 X-30
^^ Tell him Swat's 6yo girl can do it!
Old 06-04-2013, 11:55 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 91' MC 240sc
Have not had the binding fear issue before but you might need to take smaller steps in building confidence. With and adult, possibly NOT parent but someone that they have seen ride and have confidence.
-Have them float with feet resting on board. We call this "mom's coffee table" because you are not supposed to put feet on the coffee table.
-Move to floating with feet in bindings in the "chair" position
-You can practice getting up with out the noise of the engine taking off; Bring the line tight then just pull on the line, most kids are light enough you can pop them up. An adult in the water behind them may give more confidence.
-once up, keep a gentle turn to which ever side they get up on so they are not drawn to the distraction of the imposing wake.

Last, break out the surf board. I have put up many kids that we didn't have a wake board small enough. They are so light they just pop up at almost idle speed. The board is plenty big to allow for off balance, they are close to the boat for greater communication and confidence.
Just remember to have them LET GO of the rope when dropped
Old 06-04-2013, 12:03 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2002 X-Star (current) 1994 PS190, 1990 TriStar
Motivated kids make all the difference. Could be personal passion or peer pressure. My nephews stayed in the water for HOURS trying to get up just to be able to do something that their (girl) cousin could do. Once you have a motivated kid, then the best thing for kids is good patient instruction. Many tips can help and it seems there are lots of ways to be successful, but if the child senses frustration or anger, they will stop, which stinks for everybody. Sometimes having an older friend or family member in the water with them lessens fear. Good luck!
Old 06-04-2013, 01:01 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1993 Prostar 205
Send a message via AIM to cbryan70
My son has the same issue. He gets terrified once hes in the bindings if someone is not there. He started skiing at the end of the season about 4.5 years old two years ago. Last year was easier. I ended up having either me or my dad in the water holding the skis up while behind him to keep him level and as the baot would go he would pop out of the water and have a blast......only downside to this method is you dont get to enjoy seeing their facial expressions. Last year he completed his first turn around on the river.
This christmas he got a wakeboard. Im hoping he will get up on skis unassited this season if the weather EVER warms up
Old 06-04-2013, 01:57 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2011 X-25
For the much younger kids, I've found finding a secluded area of the lake where you can safely have an adult in the water to hold the kid steady while waiting for the boat to take off helps keep them calmer and helps them keep their balance. The small kids have problems with things we don't think about like keeping the bottom or the board pointed at the boat while they float... Left on their own they can't hold the rope and also reposition themselves to get ready - too much going on in their little pea brains. They frequently crash trying to get up by being pulled over the front of the board and often have problems flipping back over to their back as well, so having another adult on the boat that can dive in and flip them over helps too. If you play your cards right, you can have adults left stranded all over the lake waiting for you to come back to them (very good reason to make sure you're doing this in an area you are not worried about them getting run over by another boat).
Old 06-04-2013, 02:05 PM
chriscraftmatt1976

I agree with the boom idea. i learned to ski behind my dad and brothers running in the shallows and holding on to a short rope and handle. this is a sure way to drop the anxiety level to start out.
Old 06-04-2013, 02:13 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 96 PS205
I know it may be a cost issue and mounting issue but using a boom has worked most excellent for us. I have had 5 kids ranging from 5 to 13 get up on ski's first try first time, every one of them. They feel very comfortable being near people and easy to talk to them right there. Most of those kids were on the rope, behind the boat by the end if the day.. It was a great tool for getting my kids up on slalom ski also...
Another big help was a set of ski's that has the wide tips (parabolic I think they call them). They are awesome in the help getting up and they ski well----(just another money thing)