Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 06-27-2013, 10:51 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft Prostar 195, 2001
Cover Advice

I have a 2001 Prostar 195 that is in great great condition but I have been lazy with it. Last summer a user gave me advice on how to prevent water from pooling on my cover and it worked but now I want to do the right thing and get a good cover. What are the best covers to use while the boat is docked. I am in the process of putting a new lift and re-doing my pier and seawall, it will be in the water for about a month with out a lift cover.

obviously I am looking for advice not solicitations, just if you have had good experience with a certain brand.

Thanks again for everyone's help

ryan
Old 06-27-2013, 10:52 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2006 Supra 20V
www.skiboatcovers.com seems to be a popular choice. Lots of choices on material, optional cleat holes/flaps, quick release straps, etc. Give them a call or check out the website.
Old 06-27-2013, 01:32 PM
chriscraftmatt1976

Needed one too so I checked the site out. Looks like a great deal...
Old 06-27-2013, 03:16 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 X-star
Check out iboats .com as well. They have custom covers. You just type in you boat and they have tons of options. You are going to want sunbrella since the boat sits out. It's the most durable and will last the longest. Iboats is always throwing sales on their covers. The Westland covers they use were OEM for other mfg's and really a great quality product.

I recommend using vents on you cover where your poles go. It gives less stress to the overall cover due to a bigger surface area for the pole support and allows the boat to get some air circulating if you put it away damp.

Previous : 2000 X-Star, 3000lbs ballast, LTR 330, Acme 1235 14.5X14.25prop. 1200 hrs of flawless fun
Old 06-27-2013, 03:46 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 1982 Skier19, Powerslot, 351PCM
I recently bought a cover from skiboatcovers.com. I called and talked to Mike a few time before I placed the order and thought he was quite helpful with answers to my questions and suggestions.

When I got the cover it was missing the poles. I called him and he appologized and stated they would go out the next day. When I didn't receive them a week later I called again and he told me they were on back order, but he did have a set he would send out the next day. Two day later, I finally recieved them.

When I was finally able to test fit the cover on the boat, I had concerns that it was fitting correctly. I took photos and emailed them to him and asked him to confirm he made the correct cover (fiberglass and teak platforms have different covers) and give me some suggestions on how to adjust the poles. When I didn't recieve a response after a few days, I resent my email. It is now two weeks later and still no response. Yes, a few wet dry cycles has made it fit better, but not quite as good as I hoped in the back corners.

Quality of cover: Seems to be very well made.

Fit: Not too bad, but not as good a fit as I would have hoped for a cover that is made for a particular boat.

Phone Communication: Very Good

Email Communication: Doesn’t exist, which is surprising for a company that uses a dot com name and gets most of its business from web sales.
Old 06-27-2013, 05:19 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1996 Prostar190
I had a very good experience with skiboatcovers.com, although like ski king says their email response is not good. I ended up calling in, gave them the measurements along the rub rail for my tower mounts and I couldn't be happier with the result. Fits well, although sunbrella does stretch a bit over time. If I run a strap under the boat and tighten it in just the right spot I get no pooling at all. This is the second year for it and it's great. The boat sits outside all the time, and the cover never leaks, even if I didn't get the strapping right and get some pooling. The nice thing about sunbrella is that it breathes, so it's no problem putting the cover on when the carpet is wet.
Old 06-28-2013, 06:45 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricford View Post
I had a very good experience with skiboatcovers.com, although like ski king says their email response is not good. I ended up calling in, gave them the measurements along the rub rail for my tower mounts and I couldn't be happier with the result. Fits well, although sunbrella does stretch a bit over time. If I run a strap under the boat and tighten it in just the right spot I get no pooling at all. This is the second year for it and it's great. The boat sits outside all the time, and the cover never leaks, even if I didn't get the strapping right and get some pooling. The nice thing about sunbrella is that it breathes, so it's no problem putting the cover on when the carpet is wet.
Same experience here. I'm on my fourth season and it seems to fit better every year. To be truthful the black stock MasterCraft cover was probably the best fitting cover I've ever owned for any boat. Too bad it left marks on vinyl, rubbed the finish off the windshield and let water in the boat like the cover wasn't even on. The poles and webbing were also a PITA to deal with.

From a purchasing and customer experience perspective (and I would venture to say product quality) this is probably not the best time to order a cover. The season is in full swing and I would bet they're up to their eyes in work. This is not an excuse for not providing better service or maintaining high quality however it is a fact that most of these shops probably employ about 6 - 7 people. And when people get stressed service and performance typically take a hit. I would venture to say this is probably the case for most boating related services. I believe my dealer told me they were 2 weeks out getting to customer service requests last month and I would think it's probably the same if not worse now.

I'm lucky from that perspective as they are somewhat local to me and already had a (poor performing) cover so I didn't have to do anything immediately. I took my boat to them in the late fall and picked it up a week later. Nothing beats having the cover made/fitted with the boat on site.
Old 06-28-2013, 10:54 AM
TT Newbie

Thanks for all the replies. I tried going through my dealer for a mooring cover but for whatever reason Mastercraft only made my boat/year with the trailer cover. Is that normal, this is my first Mastercraft (not my last) but that seems odd doesn't it?
Old 06-28-2013, 10:56 AM
TT Newbie

Also has anyone tried this system or one similar? Sorry for posting a link but thought this seemed like a really good idea.

http://www.boatcoversdirect.com/prod...s/category/48/
Old 06-28-2013, 02:29 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
Yeah that's pretty much what's used on the factory black cover. Wasn't a big fan however it did keep the cover from pooling.