Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 06-26-2013, 01:30 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 96 ProStar 190 LT1
the wake debate

My family is showing interest in different disciplines...some want to slalom and some want to wakeboard. Please note that this is not a boat debate but a wake debate. So here is my inquiry:

OPTION A- a smaller wake will develop a better wakeboarder; as they will need to prefect the timing of their pop...and when they move to a true wake boat, they will have no issues if they have become good behind a weighted 190 with a tower.

OPTION B-a larger wake will develop a better slalom skier; as they will have no fear when they go from a true wake boat, with no ballast, to a traditional ski boat.

Please give your opinion and state your discipline.
Old 06-26-2013, 02:29 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2010 X-15 w/MCX
I think with Option B, that bump of the large wake is going to always be there and no making it go away, more or less. I have an X-15 which is a cross-over boat. Even with the wake plate there is still a sizable wake compared to any traditional ski boat.

With Option A I think the question becomes, can you weight the 190 enough and will it produce a wake to suffice. Since you have a 190, weight it (easily done by adding lots of bodies) and see if the wake would be sufficient. Then you can decide if it is worth it to add a tower.

I think one has to face the fact that one can be optimum and the other will be sub-optimum. In addition, the person shelling out the $$$ gets to decide which is which. Sub-optimum is going to limit the ability to "excel". You excel by repeatedly experiencing a set of conditions and fine tune for it. New conditions are just that and you are not magically going to adjust to them without time and experience. In fact, you may build bad habits that may be hard to correct afterwards.

We only wakeboard so "cross over" did was not part of the consideration when I picked the X-15.

Just my opinion...
Old 06-26-2013, 02:48 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 82 Stars and Stipes
Just speaking from my experiences.... the smaller boat will really help your boarders get the basics down, but they may outgrow that boat quickly.

And for slalom, skiing and hitting a bigger wake is scary.
Old 06-26-2013, 02:59 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2011 ProStar 214
Cringing before you hit the large wake of a V-drive wakeboard boat at 30mph on one ski builds a LOT of bad habits for a beginning slalom skier. BTDT.