Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 06-25-2013, 02:55 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2005 MC X Star, PP
Tower Light ?? Which Switch Powers it.

2005 X Star... Well unknown to me, some where and some how, my tower light cover, and bulb is gone. So I thought Ok... I will just order a updated nice LED version.

So today, I pull the old Attwood light.. clip the wires... splice in the new... and go to look and marval at the light while in my shop. All lights are out in the Shop FYI.

I flip the Toggle for Nav Light.. right of steering wheel so that all the buttons light. I flip both switches labeled tower light..., and flip the courtesy lights... I fliped the courtesy, a single throw and the interior came on... hit it again for the double throw... and nothing else lit up. but the courtesy semi flickered like... something else should have come on. Maybe the lockers did, and I just didnt notice.

So which switch from factory... should the Tower Light come on... I would have though with the Nav light switch... since both port and starboard lights did come on.

so then I hit every switch on... and still nothing... Double check my 2 Trailer plugs along the tower for proper connection and still nothing.

So which switch... so then I can trace... fuse... or wiring issues.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:07 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '01 X9 330HP
Sorry I can't help other than it shouldn't be the nav light switch.

At least on our lake, DNR will pull you over if any lights other than Nav and anchor are lit while underway.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:13 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2013 x25
Light switch is above ballast switches.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:24 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2006 X-9 MCX
Sounds like you are talking about the white anchor light on the tower. This light should be the only light that comes on when switch set to anchor. When switch is set to nav this light as well as dash and port and starboard running lights should be on. Hope this helps. I would guess a fuse or breaker. The switches labeled tower lights will light optional docking or rear facing lights.

2006 X-9 MCX
Old 06-25-2013, 04:37 PM
MC Fanatic

Yes the small White Light, that your rope typically goes around on the tower.

My old MC it came on with the Nav Lights, because it didnt have the old school Light Bar that you put into the rear of the boat. TWR around here requires it only at night.... so its not that big of a deal... till July 4th.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:01 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200VRS, 1995, Indimar 5.7, My first MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdcarve View Post
Sounds like you are talking about the white anchor light on the tower. This light should be the only light that comes on when switch set to anchor. When switch is set to nav this light as well as dash and port and starboard running lights should be on. Hope this helps. I would guess a fuse or breaker. The switches labeled tower lights will light optional docking or rear facing lights.
The "stern light" would always come on with your Nav lights and be the only light lit with the switch set on anchor. If in fact the OP is talking about that light then yes simply turning on the NAV lights would also illuminate the stern Light. All states require that your stern light be at the highest point of your boat aft of the nav lights.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:05 PM
MC Fanatic

Traxx this for info and your scripture quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:17 AM
TT Regular

Traxx182. The light on the tower is considered the "all around" 360 degree light - not the stern light...

Basic rules:
Sidelights are red (port) and green (starboard) and shine from dead ahead to 112.5 aft on either side.
Stern lights are white and shine aft and 67.5 forward on each side. (Thus, the sidelights and stern light create a full circle of light.)
All-round lights are white and shine through 360.
Masthead lights are white and shine from 112.5 on the port side through dead ahead to 112.5 on the starboard side. They must be above the sidelights.
Sailboats under power are considered powerboats.
Sidelights may be combined into a single "bicolor" light.
Powerboats less than 20m (65.5') in length need to show sidelights, a stern light and a masthead light. Power vessels less than 12m may show a single all-round light in lieu of the separate masthead and stern lights. Sailing vessels less than 20m in length need to show sidelights and a stern light. These may be combined into a bicolor light and stern light, or a single tricolor light at the top of the mast. Sailing vessels under 7m must have an electric torch or lantern available for collision avoidance.
Oar-driven vessels can show either the sailboat lights, or use the electric torch/lantern option.
When anchored outside a special anchorage, power and sail vessels under 20m must display an all-round light. Vessels under 7m are exempt, unless anchored in a narrow channel or anchorage, or where other vessels usually navigate.
Sailboats with sails up during the day, but which are also under power, must fly a black "steaming cone," with its point downward, where it can be seen. When under power they must follow the rules of the road for powerboats.

2006 X-9 MCX
Old 06-26-2013, 07:48 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200VRS, 1995, Indimar 5.7, My first MasterCraft
That's good and all. And i dont want to upset you. But explain to me this. Have you ever seen a stern light not shine 360? The light you plug in the rear on prostars etc are all around lights as you call them. They are the stern light not the mast light.

The white light in the rear shows direction of travel. It shines 360 on all vessels under 24ft. It has to be on the highest point of your vessel and aft of bow lights.

On everything else you are correct.

On boats under 24 feet the stern light doubles as a mast light.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
Old 06-26-2013, 08:18 AM
TT Regular

I have seen a stern light not shine 360 degrees - that is the definition of a stern light. The light you plug in the rear on prostars is the "all Around Light". Just because it is at the stern does not make it the stern light.

2006 X-9 MCX