Go Back   TeamTalk > Classifieds Buy/Sell > What is this boat worth?

Old 06-20-2013, 03:01 PM
TT Regular

Boat: '85 S&S black/gray
1985 "Stars and Stripes" - assistance requested

Hey all, first post here. I'm looking to pick up a boat for the family, always been an MC fan. I'm looking at an '85 that looks to be in great shape. I've not spoken to the seller yet, will do so tonite I hope. I'm basically wondering what a fair price is, I don't know the value of boats all that well and I can only go on list prices of similar boats for sale. Anything in particular to watch out for on an '85? I'm very mechanical though not really a structural/body type guy. Any help is appreciated, I'm located in SE Michigan. Thanks, hope to be on the lake soon.

"1985 MASTERCRAFT STARS & STRIPES ADDITION ONE OWNER BOAT ALWAYS BEEN KEPT INDOORS IN EXCELLENT CONDITION HAS APCM 351 V-8 ELECTRONIC IGNITION ORIGINAL INTERIOR IN VERY NICE SHAPE BRAND NEW 13X13 OJ NIBRAL PROP FULL MORNING/TRAVEL COVER MASTER CRAFT SINGLE AXLE TRAILER QUICK RELEASE TEAK SWIM PLATFORM ALL GAUGES,LIGHTS AND SAFTY SYSTEMS IN GOOD WORKING ORDER BOAT IS READY FOR THE WATER - $6500"

Cheers.

Jack
Old 06-20-2013, 03:20 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Welcome to Team Talk and good luck in your boat shopping efforts. That is a pretty nice looking '85. While this is the height of the boat sales season, that price may be a little steep. How many hours are on the boat? It will have an hour meter and it's a standard question to ask of the seller.

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Packages Starting at $569
4 Aluminum 14x5.5 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 tires, mount, balance & delivery.

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $319
2 Aluminum 14x5.5 wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 tires, mount, balance & delivery.

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND - $125 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 06-20-2013, 03:21 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1967 Bertram 20'
Looks pretty clean to me. It's missing the stars down each side though. Those can be put back on, just makes you wonder what happened to them. I'm in SC and that's about the price for a nice clean S&S around here.
Old 06-20-2013, 03:25 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Looks pretty shiny. I would bet the stars were removed for buffing. That is a very small factor, but can be utilized for a couple hundred when negotiating.

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Packages Starting at $569
4 Aluminum 14x5.5 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 tires, mount, balance & delivery.

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $319
2 Aluminum 14x5.5 wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 tires, mount, balance & delivery.

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND - $125 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 06-20-2013, 09:46 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1984 Ski Nautique
That's the cleanest 28 year old bilge I've ever seen.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:45 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 85 Stars&Stripes, safe-t-top, trick realease, boom, flitepipe pylon
Depending on the hours, that boat in that condition doesn't seem steep at all to me.
I'd check the platform brackets, they've been changed out. The interior fabric is old, if it is getting brittle you may not be far from replacing, could cost a bit. Stars aren't too bad, get a laser level. Electronic ignition can be great if it's done right, otherwise a curse. Run it a fair while, watch the temp. Should lock in around 140 or 160, when it's good and warm shut down and start back up. Shouldn't need throttle. Check tires for weather/age checking. Eye up owner's tow vehicle. If it's trashed, the boat has likely not been cared for day to day, but detailed to sell. If it's as clean as the boat, you're good. You don't buy the boat, you buy the owner's live of the boat, the time and effort they put into it.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:00 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Also give the backing -plates a quick look on the trailer to make sure the seals are good shape for the ride home if you pull trigger. $6500 fir an 85 seems about right IMO. How many hours for me too and ask if seller has log book for service. Also look at how to buy used boat in FAQ in this forum.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:04 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
oh btw - nice nick name - is your long lost brother Speed Racer?
Old 06-21-2013, 08:45 AM
TT Regular

Boat: MC, S&S, 76, 351
Looks and sounds good to me? I paid 5,200 for my 76 and have put around 1,000 into it to get it where I wanted it to be and couldn't be happier. The value of these older boats seems hard to nail down from a book or any other source. The look on people's faces as they are asking about mine and the sound of that v8 gurgling through the water are priceless. I'd say request a test ride and if everything seems solid and sounds good you won't be disappointed.

Good luck!
Old 06-22-2013, 07:57 PM
TT Regular

Boat: '85 S&S black/gray
Thanks very much for all the replies, very helpful! I have not spoken to the seller yet, may try to call him tonite or tomorrow. This boat should be all FG construction right, no wood stringers? I see a lot of very nice early 80's, late 70's boats but right now I need as little to worry about as possible. I can do any mechanical maintenance but don't want to mess with structural stuff.

I'm not sure of the hours, that's definitely the first question. I will definitely check the "how to buy" section here.

Thanks again, I will keep y'all posted.

Cheers.

Jack

PS - RacerX....spent too much time/money racing cars for the last 12 years. ; )

Tags
1985, 1985 stars and stripes