Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 06-24-2013, 12:37 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 Maristar 210 Predator
Throttle Cable Slipping

This past weekend I drove a friend's Malibu and realized that I needed to fix a couple of issues on my 94 PS 205. One is the steering cable which I realized needed to be fixed but I have been living with it. After driving his, I realized just how bad mine was bc I could use one finger to turn his where mine I have to use my whole hand.

The other couple issues deal with my throttle. The issue that needs the most attention is the cable slipping back to the neutral position, even when the PP is engaged. Needless to say this is annoying and I can prevent this by keeping my thumb resting on the throttle, but I would rather not do that if I don't have to. I also want someone who is not as familiar with my boat to be able to drive, ie pull me, and not have any questions on any quirks that my boat has. I have searched some other threads that have somewhat addressed this issue and suggested a cable brake to help to prevent any slipping but that was mainly slipping fwd and going faster. However, I am wanting to know if there is some kind of screw on the throttle that can be tightened to help prevent the slipping. I know it is totally different, but my dad's outboard controls have an adjustment screw that allows you to tighten the shifter to prevent any slippage.

The other throttle issue is just with the shifter button. The spring is gone and I just need to replace it bc I have to push and pull it to get it to engage or disengage. Again, not that big of a deal, but if I am in there fixing things, I may as well fix that too.

Last edited by CC2MC; 06-24-2013 at 03:15 PM.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:17 PM
MC Devotee

Anyone?
Old 06-24-2013, 11:21 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1996 Mastercraft Prostar 205
I'll be interested in this, my throttle pulls back while under way but not all the way to neutral. It's a good way to freak a driver out while running down the river. I wonder if there is a way to tighten the actual throttle lever itself?
Old 06-25-2013, 12:23 AM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tateau18 View Post
I'll be interested in this, my throttle pulls back while under way but not all the way to neutral. It's a good way to freak a driver out while running down the river. I wonder if there is a way to tighten the actual throttle lever itself?
That is exactly what I want to know. If I had my boat in front of me, I could figure it out, but I don't so I will have to wait until the 4th before I can lay my eyes on it. It sounds like yours is doing just like mine. I am not sure if mine actually slips all the way to neutral, but it may as well, bc it is enough to disengage the PP.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:08 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
I just spoke with Deon at Rambo Marine and he said that there is an adjustment screw on the back side of the shifter mechanism. You will have to remove the shifter in order to access the screw. I will get some pics when I remove it and tighten everything up.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:09 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1996 Mastercraft Prostar 205
Awesome, I will pull mine tonight if it's not raining. I've been meaning to do something about that for a while, as it is pretty dang annoying. Deon is the one who handled the installation of the LT1 in my boat, good guy. I'll hopefully be working on the boat putting new stuff in the rest of the week for this weekend, today is my birthday and I ordered a TON of stuff last week so that it would come in today. I get excited like a little kid on Christmas morning when I get home from work and see that my packages have arrived. BTW are you in the North AL area? I do most of my boating out of Ditto Landing in Huntsville.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:20 AM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Awesome, I will pull mine tonight if it's not raining. I've been meaning to do something about that for a while, as it is pretty dang annoying. Deon is the one who handled the installation of the LT1 in my boat, good guy. I'll hopefully be working on the boat putting new stuff in the rest of the week for this weekend, today is my birthday and I ordered a TON of stuff last week so that it would come in today. I get excited like a little kid on Christmas morning when I get home from work and see that my packages have arrived. BTW are you in the North AL area? I do most of my boating out of Ditto Landing in Huntsville.
Happy B'day!!! Deon is exactly who I spoke with today. I stopped by there this afternoon and talked with him about my boat and another I am considering. He did end up saying that he was thinking wrong on our controls. Since it is a mechanical control, he doesn't think there is an adjustment screw and we may have to replace the whole unit. I just have a hard time believing I will have to replace the entire controls just for a slipping cable. I mentioned just tightening the main bolt that the main handle pivots on and he said that would work on the newer DBW controls, and it is worth a try. If you pull yours, please post some pics and let me know if you get it fixed, bc I will not be able to get to mine until the 4th.

Why did you have to replace your engine and what all are you going to install when it comes in?

To answer your question about where in AL, I live in Hoover and I boat at Lake Martin. I am up in N AL frequently for work, but haven't brought the boat up there bc I don't really have anyone that I know and I don't know any of those lakes at all. If you are ever down at Martin, it is a very beautiful lake and let me know and we could meet up.