Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 07-01-2013, 06:09 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1989 prostar 190
1989 prostar problems!

hey, i'm new to this forum and i have a few issues i'm looking to sort out. first, a little background on the boat. its an 89 prostar 190 with the 351w, it was bought new by my father in law and always well maintained, roughly 950 hours. garaged in the winter, always properly winterized, ect. the points were upgraded to electric in the late 90's, and we bought another new setup this spring. the old electric ignition setup would get funky when it heated up, it would advance the timing and you couldn't restart the boat after you let a skier on board.

so, the new ignition setup solved the hot start problems. we replaced the plugs with new motorcraft plugs, gapped to 35. now we're having 2 more issues. first, the alternator, its junk. its the oem unit so we arnt crying about it, but the price of a new replacement is pretty disappointing considering its a 51 amp alternator. so we're looking to upgrade to something bigger so we can run a stereo, and at the same time not pay a lot. i found this thread: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=52420, and i'm really interested in getting the 105 amp alternator from DB, but its a 1 wire unit. our alternator has 2 wires, the main power wire and an "exciter" wire. do some of these boats come with one wire, and others with 2? or are people jumping the main wire to the exciter wire?

second problem, carb (i think). its got the factory holley carb, my father in law has rebuilt it a few times. currently, when cold it runs great. come out of the hole awesome and performs great at speed. but, when the boat comes up to temp, it stutters and sometimes dies when you accelerate out of the water. once going, its fine, it performs fine at any speed once your above 2000ish rpm. but, you cant idle around the skier, tighten up the rope, then pull them out of the water. the "dicking around" you need to do seems to load it up and it dies when you throttle up to pull them out of the water. i have found that dropping it into neutral, reving the engine to "clear it out" a bit, then immediately pull the skier out works, but its a pain. any insight into what is doing this would be awesome. part 2 of this problem: has anyone swapped a quadrajet on these engines? my buddy gave me a quadrajet carb off a boat he scrapped last season, it was off a mercruiser 898, an 84 glastron with a 305. it looks like it's basically new, or a new rebuild. i have a adapter plate, it looks like the throttle linkage is in the same spot, but the fuel line will need to be relocated. any insight?
Old 07-01-2013, 06:24 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
I believe that Quadrajet carb is a 450 cfm and you would be disappointed in the performance.

It sounds like you have a few things going on with your Holley. I a bad base gasket (creating a vacuum leak), a bad accelerator pump diaphragm, and a needle and seat (primary and/or secondary) that aren't always sealing properly. All this adds up to rebuild time again.

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Packages Starting at $569
4 Aluminum 14x5.5 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 tires, mount, balance & delivery.

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $319
2 Aluminum 14x5.5 wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 tires, mount, balance & delivery.

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND - $125 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 07-01-2013, 06:28 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 Prostar 214, MCX, Mini-Tower
On the carb side of things .... I had a 93 351 HO, with stock carb and I ran it a bit rich to help with the driving issue you mention ... so it was a touch rich most of the time, and I found throttle response to be perfect with no bog down when punching it for a skier.

No word on the relocation of the carb or transplant to the quadrajet. sorry.

"Left Foot Forward and preferring girls."
Old 07-01-2013, 06:34 PM
TT Newbie

we just put a new base gasket on this spring, and made sure the actual base was still flat. as for the accelerator pump and needle/seat, we have the carb apart and everything looked good. the only thing that was of concern was the power valve, it had 2 gaskets instead of one. we think it was reassembled quickly the last rebuild and doubled up, old and new one.

as for the quadrajet, i'm not super concerned with performance. i just want to be able to pull people out of the water without any hesitation, and maintain 18-23mph. Edit: I did some research and I don't think the carb was the original q-jet for the 898. They came with 2 bbl's, this is a 4bbl. So I'll bet it's atleast 600cfm, I'll have to check the part number the next time I'm up there.

getting back to the alternator, do these boats have only one "hot" wire? i remember it having a smaller wire, but i'm being told its a ground.

Last edited by mr sarcastic; 07-01-2013 at 06:58 PM.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:54 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 205
Buy a holley 4160 and toss the fishbowl that's on your boat in the trash unless you get a core chage refund.

Ring-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding...

You know they all have a little string hanging out, but it's not a tampon, it's a price tag...
Old 07-01-2013, 07:01 PM
TT Newbie

The next $500 I have burning through my pocket ill definately do that! But till then, I gotta do it cheap.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:03 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1990 mastercraft p190
I upgraded my 90 ps190 with a 115 amp single wire alternator this season, it had the original on it I believe. The single wire alt will work fine, it doesn't use an exciter wire so just take your small wire and tape it up and put it somewhere out of the way. Be sure to look into upgrading the charge wire to the battery if your going to be upgrading the alt. Mine has been 34 hours so far this season and I love the fact the volt gauge shows over 13 while running at speed with the stereo up
Old 07-01-2013, 07:08 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr sarcastic View Post
The next $500 I have burning through my pocket ill definately do that! But till then, I gotta do it cheap.
Theres a few people that will say not to buy from National Carb (won't mention any names James)... But a rebuild of your carb is $200 and a new/rebuild 4160 is $275.

This is where I got my carb and Kyle got his.

http://www.nationalcarburetors.com/m...relholley.aspx

Ring-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding...

You know they all have a little string hanging out, but it's not a tampon, it's a price tag...
Old 07-01-2013, 07:08 PM
TT Newbie

The good news is we already upgraded the main wire to the battery! When we were diagnosing the hot start issue we changed the battery terminals and upgraded the wires to the alt and starter.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:11 PM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxsRiverRat View Post
Theres a few people that will say not to buy from National Carb (won't mention any names James)...
Hmmm..... I just bought a carb from them last fall with no issues, a weber for my Subaru. I should have known to look there.