Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Wakeboarding & Wakeskating

Old 08-12-2013, 05:20 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 X1
Are wakeboard lessons worth the $?

I was wondering if anyone on here has paid for wakeboard lessons and what your thoughts are. I'm looking at taking an hour lesson from Chris Laske at Skier's Pier in Michigan. I land my hs backrolls about 1 out of every 3 and have been really struggling with timing tantrums correctly. Is it worth taking a lesson for a 100 bucks or am I going to be able to do the same thing with someone taking video of me and diagnosing the problems based on tutorials on line and on instructional dvds? Looking for some opinions with personal experience. Thanks.
Old 08-12-2013, 05:32 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1990 mastercraft p190
Are wakeboard lessons worth the $?

I havnt done the training, but they way I look at it is if I only had to spend a 100 bucks on possibly learning something id never learn it would be worth it. You might spend $100 on fuel and chiropractor bills in an weekend and still not learn anything. I've spent $100 on much less worthwhile things.

Also had a friend who for his graduation went to Orlando to a wakeboard camp for a week. He loved it. Was with a family, I can't remember the exact name of the place but you stay in their guest house, they feed you, take you boarding and teach you as much as you can learn.
Old 08-12-2013, 05:38 PM
TT Regular

Boat: MasterCraft, X-Star, 2007,
I think if you are wanting to progress there are a few ways. Best way is if you have friends that are better than you and have them help you out.
Then there are the DVD's... I have "The Book" and I think it is very good.
Other than that I think paying a pro to ride with has got to be the best way to improve. I say go for it. Not really a down side here unless the guy is worthless. Ask around and see who else he has helped. Ask him if you can talk with one of his past clients.
Just my .02
Old 08-12-2013, 06:16 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 205
I can;t speak to wakeboarding lessons, but coaching absolutely helps in slalom. However, there are good and not so good coaches... or let me say coaches that might be able to tell you what you're doing wrong and not be able to tell you how to fix it. that being said, i went out and skied with a old friend of mine this year, and after him coaching me for 2 sets (12 passes in the course) I am close to getting into 22 off @ 34 mph in less than 2 weeks since I skied with him

so my .02 cents is coaching would absolutely help.

Ring-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding...

You know they all have a little string hanging out, but it's not a tampon, it's a price tag...
Old 08-12-2013, 06:38 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 93 Larson 200 SEI, 2002 X Star, 2012 X-2
I was in Orlando for work and had a couple of hours free time one evening, so I went to OWC. Since I only had about an hour, I decided to pay for the boat rental and get instruction. Bad part was it wasn't my boat and I didn't have my board, so a lot of the time was just getting used to the different set up. With just an instructor and no videos of what you are doing, I'm not sure how much better it is worth it. I did get more consistent with backrolls after the lesson, but I credit that more to the long ramp of the SAN230 wake forcing me to wait longer to get the pop before starting to roll. For me, I think I do better having video so I can see what I'm doing wrong vs having someone tell me. If you do get coaching, maybe bring someone else to video so you can review the video with him. The hour goes by quick, mainly because you are falling a lot more than normal while working on new things.
Old 08-13-2013, 04:02 AM
TT Regular

I'm a firm believer in lessons, here in the UK it can cost 25-35 ($40-55) for 10mins riding behind the boat (X-Star or similar) and if you got to a decent place tuition is included. If you just want to ride then you can find them down at around 15 for 10 mins if you hunt hard enough. I tended to have a lesson a couple of times a year, 2nd ride and mid season to work out the kinks then behind my boat for the rest of the year. Yes its different wakes/boats but IMO the tuition paid for itself 10x over. I've seen people mid way through their first season landing inverts and 360's. I've got a load of friends that take their boat to a lake for a week, offer a pro a weeks free board and boarding. One guy learnt 5 new inverts within the week!
Old 08-13-2013, 10:56 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Malibu Sunsetter LXI 2006 Indmar 320
Chris is fantastic and I think his lessons are worth the money. My 12 year old has been working with Chris for the last 2 summers and has had great success. His one hour sessions are pretty intense with a stated goal and an expectation to work on weaknesses. In terms of pure street cred or resume, Chris has had a couple of world class pupils: Mike Dowdy on a wakeboard and Kyle Mack on a snowboard.