Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 06-24-2013, 10:54 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
Leaving a ski boat in the water is probably the least desirable way to have a boat at the lake. The chances for damage and hull blisters go off the chart in comparison to dry, rack or lift storage. As stated above there are many reasons the PO could want to paint the bottom. If the boat was indeed moored it was most likely to help with bottom fouling. For resale (as this owner is finding out) there are few things you can do to turn off a potential buyer for a boat in this type category. Your purchase price and interest in the boat should reflect this.

I always consider what resale will be when shopping for a boat. Part of that will also deal with desirability of the boat I'm looking at as it will effect my chances of turning it later down the road. Any hopes of restoring MC type value and moving it in a reasonable amount of time will depend on restoring the bottom to original condition and the cost to do so. That is of course unless you like bottom paint and never intend to sell. My brother in law had some spider cracks repaired this spring which required nearly the entire bottom to be re-sprayed. I believe he paid close to $2K for this. I would imagine sanding and re-gelcoating a hull like yours would be about the same. I would expect it to be slightly less without the gelcoat if it can be sanded and rubbed out due to the labor involved. Either way I would be taking closer to $3K off what a similar boat of age and condition would go for to cover the expense to restore as well as to cover the pain and effort involved with managing the restoration.

On background information, did you try boathistoryreport.com? I used it on my last two purchases and was happy with the results. They also seem to be the highest rated.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:57 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevroletman View Post
Ok. Think I found a good boat for me. I'm looking at a very clean 2002 230vrs. All pictures of the boat look great. I am unfortunately a good distance from this boat. So of I go after it I am going to buy. After a lengthy discussion with the owner I'm convinced its a good buy. The only thing I am concerned about it what he called bottom Paint. He says is a coat of paint to cut down on alge. Does anyone know anything on this?
keep looking for another boat

$0.02

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

Old 06-24-2013, 11:53 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: n/a
Chevroletman, I'm not trying to push you away from that boat but I do have a 99 maristar in that same model for sale but mine has a tower. You can pm me for price if you want.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:24 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 Mastercraft 40th Anniversary X-star
Quote:
Originally Posted by bturner2 View Post
Leaving a ski boat in the water is probably the least desirable way to have a boat at the lake. The chances for damage and hull blisters go off the chart in comparison to dry, rack or lift storage.
Boat has to be in the water to use it.. Maybe that is why I average 100 hours a year.. I leave it at the cottage (lake house) from spring till fall in the water. No trailering, no launching, inconvenience, etc

Buying a lift is out of budget due to deep water. I wax the hull a couple times a season. So far it's in great shape.

So this isn't neglect.... Its the way we do it around here....

So back to my point....

Bottom paint isn't necessarily because of abuse... maybe because someone was overly taking the manual word for word and put on bottom paint.

2008 Touareg V8 Galapagos Metallic, Sienna leather, Execline, Technology pkg, Sports pkg,Class III hitch.

2012 Volkswagen GTI 5dr DSG, Carbon Grey Metallic w/ Leather/Luxury, Technology and 18" Serron Pkg's. H&R springs, Unitronic Stage 2 Chip, Ultimate racing 3" downpipe w/200 cell metal cat, xenondepot 3k HID Fog lights.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:02 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
Mastercraft specifically excludes gelcoat blistering from warranty. Bottom painting is one way they recommend to prevent it. Leaving it in the water seasonally is a crap shoot. OP needs to get a look at that hull before buying.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:35 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2002 Prostar 209 "Tarbaby", 2001 Prostar 190 Donor "Holestar"
I have the anti fouling paint on mine, it's thick and heavy, looks like rhinoliner. I have no idea what the condition underneath is but it has to be sanded/stripped/ground off via mechanical or chemical methods. I'm leaning towards walnut shell blasting.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:39 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 2003 Prostar 197 35th Anniversary Edition
I've owned boats with bottom paint before -- no ski boats though. It's not that big of a deal IMO. Also, blisters are relatively easy to repair if they're not too extensive. That said, if I could find a similar boat without bottom paint that is similar or slightly higher in price, I'd pass on the painted boat. But, if the painted boat is an especially good deal, I wouldn't let the bottom paint scare me away.

2003 Prostar 197 35th Anniversary
Old 06-25-2013, 03:44 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: ER xstar
Quote:
Originally Posted by CottagerGreg View Post
Boat has to be in the water to use it.. Maybe that is why I average 100 hours a year.. I leave it at the cottage (lake house) from spring till fall in the water. .
that's because spring till fall up there is like 3 weeks
Old 06-25-2013, 08:40 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
Unless it's a very good price, personally I would not want it. I take pride in the appearance of my boat and bottom paint is fugly and hard/expensive to remove and refinish the gel.

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 06-25-2013, 09:32 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: Mainship Pilot 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by willyt View Post
that's because spring till fall up there is like 3 weeks
Lmao.... How long is the season up there for real though?

And bottom paint is good on yachts and sailboats. Don't see it very often on ski boats.