Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Tow Vehicles

Old 06-24-2013, 08:35 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 X Star
My wife drives an older Sequoia and the breaking is lacking for towing much of a load.

2002 X Star
Sold - 76 S&S
Old 06-24-2013, 09:49 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 Mastercraft X14 w/ LY6
I have the Crewmax and love it!!
Old 06-24-2013, 09:58 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2005 197TT #28 of 100
As an owner of one, I can say that the Crewmax Tundra is great. But, the 5.7 does like the gas. For whoever said they had some gas saving tips, share them on here. There are a fair amount of Tundra owners on here - I am sure we could all use the help.

I am getting ~13.5 avg in mixed city/hwy driving (Crewmax 4x4 w/ Rock Warrior package). And, I am easy on the throttle. I came from an 07 Tahoe where the exact same driving was getting me a ~17.5 mpg avg.
2005 ProStar 197TT, #28 of 100

Broken Bow, OK vacation cabin for rent -
www.sipnskicabin.com
Old 06-24-2013, 10:59 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2000 Wakesetter VLX
I have the Crewmax Tundra too, but love the Sequoias. Really depends on what your uses are. When I bought the truck I figured I'd need a trailer with the smaller bed, however I have never had an issue. I've carried several yards of rock, dirt, mulch, lumber, etc. without any issues whatsoever with the smaller bed size. Everyone loves the truck, and get complimented on it all the time!
Old 06-24-2013, 03:38 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1987 pro star 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant777 View Post
Gas mileage tip 1: don't drive it. I get about 240miles on a full tank. Lucky gas is cheap.

A friend who owns the same truck changed the air filter and the exhaust system and claims he gets another 5-8% better fuel economy.
there is 2 of the tips, the trd cold air kit will give you the best mileage increase over the others we had seen at the time,'08-'09 when I left TRDSparks, the other is manual mode on the shifter, when you get up to cruising speed, not towing of course, slip it over in manual shift mode, what this does is it keeps the trans from needlessly down shifting to 5th and then back to 6th, also will keep the converter locked up longer, most seen 2-4 mpg improvement in steady state driving using this technique........around town your kinda stuck with what you have, you may can try some non-ethanol gas to see how it helps, should help some, the truck we had at the tundra meet in myrtle beach with the TRD supercharger on it would average 17-19 in beach traffic, this was with stock exhaust and air box.

the other is the TRD charger, but your not supposed to run a cold air intake or exhaust with it as it may throw off the TRD calibration they have to load for the charger and pop the check engine light on.......

on a side note, anyone have one without a factory alarm? but keyless entry and the 5.7?

Look here>>>>> http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/sparks-toyota/198373-how-activate-your-alarm-your-5-a/

Last edited by Razzys Wagon; 06-24-2013 at 03:56 PM.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:45 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 85' S&S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant777 View Post
Gas mileage tip 1: don't drive it. I get about 240miles on a full tank. Lucky gas is cheap.

A friend who owns the same truck changed the air filter and the exhaust system and claims he gets another 5-8% better fuel economy.
Holy crap.. how big is the tank?! i get 400 plus in my 150
Old 06-24-2013, 04:06 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 MasterCraft X-30
22ish gallons I believe. You definitely don't buy it for its mpg's.
Old 06-24-2013, 04:29 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: None
gotta love the 36 gallon tank in my 13 F150 especially when you're towing. Drug 7000 pounds from Amarillo back to Houston getting 12.5-13mpg at 75-80. Granted not through mountains, but a lot of up and down coming through the hill country.

The 36 gallon gas tank and the Ford interior are why I have a Ford and not the Toyota. I looked really hard at both. My wife wants a Seqouia, but we're waiting for the 2014 Expeditions with Ecoboost.

That being said I don't think you can go wrong with either, we sometimes wish we had a little extra space in the truck when we have the dogs with us.
Old 06-24-2013, 04:42 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: '07 ProStar 197 w/ MCX
I went back and forth heavily when trying to decide on the Tundra vs. Sequoia. I had just sold my Tahoe and was really looking for another SUV, but after test driving the Tundra and seeing the room the CrewMax had in the second row, I was sold. I love the fact that with a truck everything can be thrown into the bed and you do not have to listen to it rattle and shift the whole time you are driving. As everyone has said, the 5.7 is thirsty and if it were not for my company's perks, I would not be happy about footing the fuel bill out of my own pocket. I usually get about 300 miles per tank towing my PS 197. No one has said this before, but when the low fuel light comes on, you have at LEAST 6 gallons in the tank. Even at conservative 12mpg, that is a lot left without filling up. I usually fill up 50 miles after the Low Fuel message comes up and I have never had less than a few gallons in the tank. Just food for thought.
Old 06-24-2013, 05:47 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 MasterCraft X-30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodar View Post
I went back and forth heavily when trying to decide on the Tundra vs. Sequoia. I had just sold my Tahoe and was really looking for another SUV, but after test driving the Tundra and seeing the room the CrewMax had in the second row, I was sold. I love the fact that with a truck everything can be thrown into the bed and you do not have to listen to it rattle and shift the whole time you are driving. As everyone has said, the 5.7 is thirsty and if it were not for my company's perks, I would not be happy about footing the fuel bill out of my own pocket. I usually get about 300 miles per tank towing my PS 197. No one has said this before, but when the low fuel light comes on, you have at LEAST 6 gallons in the tank. Even at conservative 12mpg, that is a lot left without filling up. I usually fill up 50 miles after the Low Fuel message comes up and I have never had less than a few gallons in the tank. Just food for thought.
Yeah, the tank is actually 26 gallons, but after initial fill-up, you won't be able to pump more than 22 gallons. Something to do with a built in reserve tank. There's a thread about it on tundrasolutions.com.