Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Trailers

Old 10-06-2005, 02:13 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1983 Stars and Stripes Power Slot
Send a message via AIM to mc_prostar Send a message via MSN to mc_prostar Send a message via Yahoo to mc_prostar
Trailer help

I was wondering where you guys found the tie down strap for the transom. all i have found is the packages of 2 that wont work for our boats.

i was also wondering if any company out there sells a prefab prop guard. i have an 83 mc and i just dont like the way the prop and rudder just hang out with no protection.

easttxskier posted pics of his prop guard and it is amazing, i looked at pak ind. which makes the rollers but it seems that is all they make.

thanks
Old 10-06-2005, 03:47 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 95 PS 190 EFI
Send a message via AIM to jimmer2880
I'd just go find a local metal fab shop & have them custom fit the guard.

The strap - I just use one of the motorcycle style ratchet strap & go over the top of the rear transom. All you're trying to do is keep the trailer on the boat.
"I kept a crabgrass free lawn"
It's time to SKI.
Old 10-06-2005, 04:17 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Thanks for the compliments. The bottom of my prop guard was refab'd in that picture. The original was flimsy. The one pictured is solid steel (and still has the primer on it in the picture.

Just get a welding shop to make you one. Clearance between the prop and the prop guard is very minimal, but I can't remember off hand what it was. That will be your biggest concern.
Attached Images

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 10-06-2005, 05:02 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1989 Prostar 190, 351 Indmar
East tx, those rollers are sweet! The little "skis" on my prop guard have scraped a fair amount of sod, concrete and blacktop over the years. If they ever wear all the way off, I may look into doing what you did. Cool!
Kevin
1989 ProStar 190 with "Safe T Top", 351 Ford, GT 40 heads painted Ford Blue, Elec. Ign, 1:1, 720 hours, 4 blade prop, PP 6.5, removable platform brackets, custom color from factory, hot water shower, Boat Buddy & LED lights on trailer
2010 D3 Z7, 2 @ 32 off, 34 mph so far
Old 10-06-2005, 05:10 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2005 Prostar 197 / MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc_prostar
I was wondering where you guys found the tie down strap for the transom. all i have found is the packages of 2 that wont work for our boats.

i was also wondering if any company out there sells a prefab prop guard. i have an 83 mc and i just dont like the way the prop and rudder just hang out with no protection.

easttxskier posted pics of his prop guard and it is amazing, i looked at pak ind. which makes the rollers but it seems that is all they make.

thanks
I use Ancra tie downs for my transom straps
my trailer has tabs for tie down straps in place at the back. If you don't have those tabs, you can easily weld some onto the trailer
I get some of the good straps (Ancra) at a motorcycle shop (you aint findin these at walmart)
put them on and trim the excess strap needed for bikes and these will be a dedicated pair of transom tie downs for your baby

bad pic but they are hooked to the rear lifting/towing hooks on the hull and the tie down tabs on the trailer
Attached Images

Old 10-06-2005, 05:16 PM
MC Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin 89MC
East tx, those rollers are sweet! The little "skis" on my prop guard have scraped a fair amount of sod, concrete and blacktop over the years. If they ever wear all the way off, I may look into doing what you did. Cool!
Kevin
Thanks. I only wish they were poly. They did a number on my driveway before I combined a trailer lift job with a 5.5" drop hitch. But then again, I have a pretty steep slope up which to back.

Here's a picture post-lift.
Attached Images

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 10-06-2005, 05:17 PM
MC Hero

And here's what I have to scale to put the boat in the garage.
Attached Images

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

Last edited by east tx skier; 10-06-2005 at 06:13 PM.
Old 10-06-2005, 05:19 PM
MC Hero

Another angle. I'm on a roll. What was the question again?
Attached Images

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

Last edited by east tx skier; 10-06-2005 at 06:13 PM.
Old 10-06-2005, 05:54 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2005 Prostar 197 / MCX
I didn't think you were the type to post your license plate numbers on the internet
Old 10-06-2005, 06:14 PM
MC Hero

Whatever do you mean?

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club