MC Fanatic

Boat: 2013 Mastercraft X-25 with the awesome 6.2
Cost???

2013 X-25 - Love it!
2007 X-15 - Sadly no longer mine
Old 06-20-2013, 11:43 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Not a MC
Avoid satellite internet! After three years with Wildblue I have concluded that this technology only makes sense if it is your ONLY option aside from dial-up.

There are two main issues:

1) Ping time
2) Crowding

1) The satellites are geo-sync satellites which are 22,000 miles from earth. It takes at best 2-3 seconds for your signal to make its round trip from your computer out to the satellite, back to an internet gateway, out to the internet, retrieve your info, back to the satellite, back down to your dish, and back to your computer. Big downloads, no problem. Video chat I found nearly impossible.

2) First thing in the morning I would get near 5 Mbps (my paid for speed) during peak hours I would get 100-300 kbps, which was still better than dial-up (56 kbps) but not by much. It was simply due to crowded satellites and peak demand.

I ended up switching to a Verizon hotspot for the last year before we moved. Even though the peak speed was lower the overall experience was so much better I can never recommend satellite internet to anyone unless it is truly a last resort.

Cost is also an issue. For the fastest Wildblue package at the time (5 Mbps) we paid nearly $100/mo. and were limited to 10 Gb/mo. I think the packages have changed as well as cost but it is still similar price to any other technology. Plus, I got locked into a two year contract AND the install cost nearly $500.

Old 06-20-2013, 11:52 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2013 Mastercraft X-25 with the awesome 6.2
When we're at the lake - it is definitely a 'last resort'. It is satellite or dial-up. I laughed when they told me - didn't even know dial-up still existed. I thought they were joking. Verizon hotspot with a cell phone booster works ok if you are in the cell phone 'reception area' and the wife happens to be there with her company paid hotspot. Otherwise it is NADA - or go to the neighbors house and sit in their driveway to sponge off theirs.

2013 X-25 - Love it!
2007 X-15 - Sadly no longer mine
Old 06-20-2013, 02:04 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1999 Maristar 210 VRS
Dish is great unless it's was a cloudy / rainy / snowy night when you just want to watch TV beside a crackling fire. Then you're out of luck.
Old 06-20-2013, 02:39 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 X14 photo boat, 1993 25th Anniversary Limited Edition
I have Hughes Net and I'm not a fan. They installed the dish in the easiest location for them ... Problem is it points directly at a tree. I literally just got off a nasty call in which they wanted to charge me $125 to come look at it ... Told them I'll email I picture of the dish pointing straight at a 70' poplar tree and no I can't trim it.

Then he wanted to upswell me to a higher system ... Not happy with the current system can't imagine paying more until they get this to the customers expectation

Oh yeah, its super slow at night
Old 06-20-2013, 03:13 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1989 Prostar 190 351 Indmar
Send a message via MSN to stuartmcnair
we pay between $60 and $80 a month depending on usage. I had the same lag problems with WB as others up until two months ago when the new equipment went online. Now speed is decent and somewhat consistent.