Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 06-24-2013, 11:31 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: mastercraft 190 1987 351 Indmar
I have an 87 190 and ran into box clearence issues with stock spacer using the reg performer intake. My engine is built along the same lines as Kyles and performes very well. I bored mine and used flat top pistons. I did not want to raise my box so I had my spacer machined down to gain the space I needed. Apparently not an easy task but doable. Without the spacer and with a marine 4160 carb I ran into mixture issues using intake vac on the PCV valve on the val cover. I had to go back to the spacer to get it to run correctly. Had no issues at all until I changed the intake. I built the engine and ran the original intake set up and then changed intakes several weeks later.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:36 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 89 Mastercraft Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino Don View Post
I have an 87 190 and ran into box clearence issues with stock spacer using the reg performer intake. My engine is built along the same lines as Kyles and performes very well. I bored mine and used flat top pistons. I did not want to raise my box so I had my spacer machined down to gain the space I needed. Apparently not an easy task but doable. Without the spacer and with a marine 4160 carb I ran into mixture issues using intake vac on the PCV valve on the val cover. I had to go back to the spacer to get it to run correctly. Had no issues at all until I changed the intake. I built the engine and ran the original intake set up and then changed intakes several weeks later.
I'll keep my eye on it then - I'd probably just go the route of raising the box an inch or so as it'll be getting all new vinyl and carpet this winter, should be easy to do it without any trace..