Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 06-19-2013, 03:50 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 89 Mastercraft Prostar 190
GT40 recommendations please!

I've read a few threads about this topic already but am hoping I can get some specific recommendations as I'm planning on getting everything in the next week and engine internals are def not my strong suit.. Hoping some of you with 1st hand experience can make some recommendations on what I should do or get:

I'll preface by saying that right now my goal is to get back in the water asap without blowing a ton of cash - this winter I'll be doing a full restore to the boat and can push off major expenses to the drivetrain to then if any are needed.
While looking at an engine swap on my 88 PS190 with a 1:52 velvet, I think I've decided to go with a rebuilt/reman short block and add some freshly rebuilt GT40 heads I found locally. The engine I've been looking at is internally OE spec, not built up or anything. Ideally if I could get in the area off 300hp I think I'd be happy, nothing crazy but better than stock would be good for me. I just had my 4160 rebuilt in preperation so have been planning on keeping that.
So what I'm looking for help with would be specific recommendations or advice on what else I need to make the package all work well together:
Any recommendations on a better than stock intake manifold that would work well but be reasonably priced? (any concerns about externals lining up?)
Do I need to get a better cam? (Any specific recommendations with a budget in mind?)
Do I have to change out the springs (or anything else) in the GT40 heads assuming they're all OE spec?
Are standard rockers suitable? If not, any thoughts on specifics I should consider?

Any advice on these is really appreciated, I'm taking the week after next off and hoping to be able to start wrenching then so need to start ordering everything yesterday. If there's any thoughts on these things as far as nice-to-have vs. must-have that would be helpful as I just don't know what I don't know.

Thanks!
Old 06-19-2013, 04:28 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
My recommendations are as follows,
* use an edelbrock performer manifold, will line up perfectly
* use gt-40 heads, if using a stock camshaft the existing valve springs will suffice (just barely)
* standard rockers acceptable
* if your truly wanting 300 hp then a camshaft swap is a must, and then so is lifters, pushrods and valve springs.
* ensure brass freeze plugs are used.
* after all this you will likely need a new propeller

I did a top end kit on my boat but I went about it very differently than most folks that just wanting a few more hp. if you want my specifics PM me and I'll be more than happy to share.

1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Old 06-19-2013, 04:29 PM

Boat: 06 X30
/paging Kyle
Old 06-19-2013, 04:32 PM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRepeat View Post
/paging Kyle
Hey my 351w is no slouch

Old 06-19-2013, 04:36 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.mccreight@hotmail.com View Post
* use gt-40 heads, if using a stock camshaft the existing valve springs will suffice (just barely)
* if your truly wanting 300 hp then a camshaft swap is a must, and then so is lifters, pushrods and valve springs.

I did a top end kit on my boat but I went about it very differently than most folks that just wanting a few more hp. if you want my specifics PM me and I'll be more than happy to share.
All good advice. With the GT-40 heads and Performer you should be looking at roughly 280 hp which would certainly be a huge difference. If you choose for more hp, the cost goes up quickly.

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Package $629
4 Matte Black T08 14x6 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $379
2 Matte Black T08 14x6 wheels, 2 ST215/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires
MOUNT, BALANCE & FREE SHIPPING INCLUDED IN BOTH PACKAGES

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND. $100 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 06-19-2013, 04:41 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:

This is really helpful - thanks so much. I was hoping to be able to use the stock cam and head components until this winter. Upping to a better cam is the type of thing I'd be fine with putting off until this winter when I have the time and let the wallet cool down a bit.

Since I'm getting the heads and block seperately, I'm assuming I need to get lifters and pushrods, anything specific needed for these? Anything else I'm missing besides gaskets and bolts? Also, I've been assuming I can use my MC valve covers, is that correct?
Old 06-19-2013, 04:49 PM
MC Maniac

yes use new lifters and pushrods. your MC valve covers can be reused. One thing to check that a lot of people don't is lifter preload it needs to be around .020"-.030", theoretically you can just torque the rockers down and go with it and they "should" be within specs. Personally I would check and get the correct length pushrods.

Old 06-19-2013, 04:56 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
yes use new lifters and pushrods. your MC valve covers can be reused. One thing to check that a lot of people don't is lifter preload it needs to be around .020"-.030", theoretically you can just torque the rockers down and go with it and they "should" be within specs. Personally I would check and get the correct length pushrods.
Ok, this may be a stupid question but the engine I'm swapping out had 400 hours on it and was in great shape until the block was cracked due to not winterizing and then last for the last couple years - any chance that any of these parts (rockers, pushrods, lifters) would be re-usable or should all be considered scrap?
Old 06-19-2013, 04:59 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 35th Anniversary LQ9 Supercharged
Do GT40-P if you are that far into it.

Just My Opinion.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:02 PM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by XavierSPL View Post
Ok, this may be a stupid question but the engine I'm swapping out had 400 hours on it and was in great shape until the block was cracked due to not winterizing and then last for the last couple years - any chance that any of these parts (rockers, pushrods, lifters) would be re-usable or should all be considered scrap?
You may reuse pushrods (if correct length, again check lifter preload) but pushrods are cheap I would use new, you may reuse rocker arms, but you need to use NEW lifters regardless.