Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Waterskiing & Barefooting

Old 06-27-2013, 11:01 AM
TT Regular

Boat: '85 S&S black/gray
Looking at used HO skis - don't know much though

I'm looking at a couple different used HO skis primarily for myself. I'm 6', 190lbs. I've skied in the past - many moons ago - when I was in high school/college and used an HO Mach 1 or something, I don't recall, it was ~20 years ago. Anyway, I'm just getting back into it this year so I wanted to pick up a used ski before shelling out for a new ski.

I'm looking at 2 different HO skis and I can't seem to find much info on them. Partly because the sellers don't seem to know much about what they're selling. I've attached a couple pics, any help on what level skis these are, opinions, etc would be much appreciated. I'm happy to answer any other questions about myself as well.

The first one is older at least I base that on the HO logo. It does not have the rear fin wing but I have one I could install. It's 67" length.

This one looks newer but I don't know the length (seller said ~5.5', ha ha), it does have the wing on the rear fin but doesn't look like the fin is adjustable, only the wing.

As I said, I'm looking for something I can use this year and maybe next year before getting to the point of investing in a new ski. First ski can be had for $140, second, not sure but probably $120max, possibly $100.

Thanks much.

Jack
Old 06-27-2013, 11:48 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
67" might be a little rough getting up. I am 6' 190 as well - I ski 69" on a 2010 Ho Triumph and a 2012 Coefficient XL/s.

The Burner is more forgiving...the VTX is a nice ski though... what happened to the fin?
Old 06-27-2013, 11:51 AM
TT Regular

Not sure what happened to the fin, but in the pic they sent it's not there. I'm talking about the little stabilizer wing, the fin is there and looks just fine. Almost looks like the wing was never there to begin with.

Any idea what year these skis are? I found the link to ski-it-again and it looks like mid 90's for the VTX and early 2000's for the Burner.

Thanks for input!

Jack
Old 06-27-2013, 12:10 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 07 xstar
I have the HO VTX w/dbl 97 boots and slalom ski bag I'd like to sell I haven't used it for several years
Old 06-27-2013, 12:12 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2000 Prostar 195 - 350 TBI Predator, 1:1, 13x11.5 OJ 3-Blade
From what I've heard and read around here, that "stabilizer wing" doesn't really make a difference until the speeds get high and the line lengths get short. Don't let that sway your purchase

Also, if you're in the market for an HO ski, check out Wiley's. They usually have blemished skis (graphics issues, no structural problems) for the current model year at a substantial discount. https://www.wileyski.com/shopcategory.asp?catID=26

Last edited by JMLVMI; 06-27-2013 at 12:14 PM. Reason: Added info
Old 06-27-2013, 12:14 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMLVMI View Post
From what I've heard and read around here, that "stabilizer wing" doesn't really make a difference until the speeds get high and the line lengths get short. Don't let that sway your purchase
Sure, understood....and I highly doubt this season will see me complaining about the lack of a stabilize wing. ; ) Plus I have one I can install on pretty much any ski. I was more interested to know about one compared to the other given obvious age differences.

Thanks!

Jack
Old 06-27-2013, 12:14 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by snork View Post
I have the HO VTX w/dbl 97 boots and slalom ski bag I'd like to sell I haven't used it for several years
Pics, details? I'm located in MI.

Jack
Old 06-27-2013, 12:20 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft, MariStar 200 VRS, 1998, LT1
I was in the same situation last year. 5'11" 195 with similar skiing past. Bought two ebay skis. One obrien double boot 67" of roughly 1990 vintage (I think) and one Conelly F44 Craze from back in the day. The obrien is a struggle to get up on and is narrow so probably a bit much for me. The F44 is fun and easy. I think a 69 might be where i head next. I'm not sure I am ready to go with a big fat ski yet.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:29 PM
TT Regular

How can I get the seller of the second ski to confirm the length of the ski? Is it printed somewhere on it or is there a method to measuring it?

Thanks.

Jack
Old 06-27-2013, 12:36 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMLVMI View Post

Also, if you're in the market for an HO ski, check out Wiley's. They usually have blemished skis (graphics issues, no structural problems) for the current model year at a substantial discount. https://www.wileyski.com/shopcategory.asp?catID=26
At the risk of information overload, what are people's preferences to skis? I looked at HO initially because that's what I skied way back when. I also looked at Obrien and Connelly (I'm currently shopping craigslist) but there wasn't much listed for those 2. I don't even recognize the brands Radar and Goode.

I previously always skied high wrap front with toe plate rear but seems double high wraps are pretty popular now. Change in thought on this, am I old school, perhaps I'm just uneducated.

And thanks for that link, interesting stuff there that is making me rethink this......

Jack