Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 06-18-2013, 06:26 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Matercraft Prostar205v
Not Wanting To Beat This Old Horse, But....

After reading several threads I am left a little baffled.

I have 2001 v drive.

Operating my boat under power my steering is stiff. At idle it is not stiff.
Some say it's the cable and some say it's the rudder box.

If it would be the cable wouldn't the steering be stiff at idle and under no power as well?
Just want to know what to repair before I dig into it. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks!
Old 06-18-2013, 06:31 PM
TT Regular

Boat: MC, X9, 2006, RTP-1
Not sure if your rudder box has a grease zerk on it. If it does try giving it some white lithium grease.

Your zerk may be rusted from the back making it very difficult to squeeze your grease gun. If its rusted like that you can replace it very easily. They screw it and a replacement can be picked up at any auto store.
Old 06-18-2013, 06:42 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2008 X1
I'm guessing it's a little of both. I say this because I had/have the same problem but a little different. Mine was stiff under power too but not at idle. My main problem was changing from left to right or right to left was initially very stiff. Once you made the change it freed up some. I replaced the cable and greased everything while I was back there. My steering is not as stiff and if I'm making a right turn and change to left it's easy but if I'm turning left and switch to right it is still very hard initially. I'm still searching for my problem but just thought you might have a couple things compounding on you like I do.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:00 PM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
Remove your tiller arm from the cable, then try to move the rudder by hand. It should move back and forth very easily.
Steer the wheel to see if the cable moves easily, you should be able to turn the wheel with one finger. IF not, your cable need attention.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:09 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2001 x star
my 2001 x star was the same realy stiff i greased the rudder and its way smoother now
Old 06-18-2013, 07:21 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 197 ProStar 2002
see this

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...218#post946218
Old 06-18-2013, 09:13 PM
TT Enthusiast

Thanks guys for your input! I will do your idea JerseyDave, thanks! I have seen that thread Bob B and thought of lookin into the nylon washers as well. I have the zerk fittings and understand there might be 3 of them. Again thanks...there's nothin more frustrating than replacing parts and spending the hours and finding out it wasn't the problem. Especially not knowing until u get out on the water.
Old 06-19-2013, 06:32 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2004 X-Star
My '04 steering was stiff a few years back and I used blue marine grease. Worked(s) great. In fact, it works so well, I now use it on our race bikes and just about everything else.

"For boat trailer wheel bearings. A blue tacky, aluminum complex grease using a highly refined base oil formulated with a polymer to provide adhesive, non-blend and water wash-out characteristics. Will resist water under the most severe water conditions."
Old 07-10-2013, 10:30 PM
TT Enthusiast

Update...cleaned and lubed the ruddershaft and bingo, steering is back better than ever. one finger steering! Glad I did not go out and buy the cable. I would have been frustrated as hell.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:55 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by deminimis View Post
My '04 steering was stiff a few years back and I used blue marine grease. Worked(s) great. In fact, it works so well, I now use it on our race bikes and just about everything else.

"For boat trailer wheel bearings. A blue tacky, aluminum complex grease using a highly refined base oil formulated with a polymer to provide adhesive, non-blend and water wash-out characteristics. Will resist water under the most severe water conditions."

The synthetic greases like Mobil One and Royal Purple have better characteristics than marine grease. The base grease stock prevents wash out better. - All have aluminum complex additives... I prefer the synthetic base stock because it handles heat better as well. IMO