Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 06-18-2013, 01:33 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: None

More power was the key! No complaints anymore.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:34 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 85' S&S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick911 View Post
We should upgrade both amps!

My next boat I'm going to delete the stereo system completely and go wetsounds. I'll probably even save money too. I just love the stock look, especially those aluminum cans.
well considering the stock tower speakers are like 2k a pair, youd save a LOT! rev 10s are a 1k a pair at my local shop, definitely going that route on my next boat.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:36 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2013 X-30 6.0L
I changed it back to high pass and adjusted it down close to 80Hz. Factory had it close to 120Hz.

It sounds a lot better.

Thanks.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:33 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2013 Mastercraft X25, 6.0 Ilmor, Pro Package, slammed and flaked!
How do you adjust these settings?
Old 06-21-2013, 09:51 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200VRS, 1995, Indimar 5.7, My first MasterCraft
Proper power is key.

JL MHD's 400/4 and 700/5

These power 4 JL M6.5 coax, 2 m770 component, 2 M770 coax and 1 JL 10" M IB sub.

It will blow your head off.

Wetsounds makes me sick to my stomach haha just kidding guys.
Attached Images

Old 06-23-2013, 12:15 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 X-star
The stereos in all these boats are an afterthought from the factory. While the JL line is awesome stuff, there is no attention to detail on a tune from the factory or best scenario for optimal power setup given. The wiring is usually sub par and at minimal standards as well.

They have to stay close to spec to protect their equipment. The average consumer isn't stereo conscious. They haven't a clue on how to tweak a system or how it " should sound" Same goes for most dealers. There are so many factors in music genere, source, and volume levels they can't dial it in from scratch. That is part of the reason for the minimal power ratings met from the factory. It's so when you crank on it it won't blow the minute it's all set up wrong and u get on the juice. Most dealerships are also not stereo specific.

Your best bet is to get some sound tuning advice here and tackle it yourself or take it to a pro. The JL's can really wake up with more power. The stock JL tower speakers while awesome for surfing and near field listening, if you want projection to wakeboarders a ser of Wetsounds HLCD's are the best option. Also as mentioned you can get twice the system for your money not opting the factory route and going custom in most cases, but the JL stuff is def tops.

You def want your towers in high pass mode. You dealer is wrong.

Previous : 2000 X-Star, 3000lbs ballast, LTR 330, Acme 1235 14.5X14.25prop. 1200 hrs of flawless fun
Old 06-23-2013, 11:02 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2013 Mastercraft X25, 6.0 Ilmor, Pro Package, slammed and flaked!
How do you set to high pass?
Old 06-23-2013, 12:14 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 X-star
There is a slide/ toggle switch on the amp for the crossover setting. There may be two high pass switches depending on your amp. One is for rear other is for front. Make sure you flip both if you are using both front and fee channels. Then you adjust the crossover to your liking somewhere between 80-110 is usually pretty good. That is usually a dial with a screwdriver port aain may be (2) of them for each feont and rear channels so adjust both if you are usung both.Depends on what you are looking for. For simplistic sake the higher the crossover in that range the less distortion at super high volumes will occur because you are eliminating lower frequencies which will distort first, but at a cost of loosing certain frequencies. There really is an exact science to tuning but for most using your ear will get you in the ballpark.

This also has to do with music choice as well. If you listen to a lot of bass heavy stuff and are a really cranking on the stereo you will benefit from running a higher crossover frequency to prevent distortion coming quicker. This is due to those lower frequencies making it through. If you listen to a style of music with much more pronounced highs you can back off and stay lower on the crossover. That 80-110 range on high pass is a good mid road. Experiment a little. There are a ton of "tuning your stereo" topics to help you get the basics on here. Just do a search. Again that is just a quick laymen's explanation of what kind of things are effected by choosing what's right. I am far from the expert like Jim, David, or MLA.

Something else. If you are looking to get sound back to the riders you can generally gain a bit of volume by running a bit higher crossover setting . In the open air with all the noise the lows don't generally make it back to the rope anyways so it's not too big of an issue. However if you just want volume n sound quality for hanging in and around the boat the lower crossover setting will work and sound better

Previous : 2000 X-Star, 3000lbs ballast, LTR 330, Acme 1235 14.5X14.25prop. 1200 hrs of flawless fun

Last edited by swatguy; 06-23-2013 at 12:27 PM.
Old 06-23-2013, 12:20 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 X-2
Find the low pass/high pass switch and put it on high pass. It looks like your amp might have 2 switches for different channels (assuming I got the right model instructions). Then turn the know to pick your pass frequency (80 Hz has been recommended).
Attached Images

Old 06-24-2013, 09:03 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2013 X-30 6.0L
I have been gathering info from this forum and also talking to JL directly about my sound quality issues. I have gotten a lot of info from both. I played with the settings a little more over the weekend. JL said that the AMP for the tower and the AMP for the cockpit speakers should be set to HP and tuned around the 70 Hz range. After playing with it I left it around 70 Hz and also turned up the sensitivity levels. I have the sub channel set to 12 Db and around the 65 to 70 Hz range. It sounds like a different system.