Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 06-23-2013, 07:47 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft, X15, 2007, MCX, Acme 5 Blade, Pair of WetSounds Rev410's, WetSounds SD6, 2 JL 12w6v2 subs in sealed box, JL HD750/1, WS402SQ
Off or Low Pass for JL 750/1 amp?

I was listening to the output of my JL 12w6's in their dual seal box this weekend.

I opted to look at the setting of the amplifier and was surprised at how it was set up.

I wanted to give the before settings and the setting I used after based on the knowledge I "think" is correct. I would like to know if what I set the amp at are reasonable.

BEFORE: 90 hertz and low pass on.

AFTER: 80 hertz and off on the pass
Old 06-23-2013, 09:14 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 91' MC 240sc
You want to select LOW PASS.

Cross over will depend on your ear but anywhere in the 80-90 range should be fine.
Old 06-23-2013, 09:15 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: TBD
The subwoofer must be set on Lowpass, period. You need a narrow overlap with the fullrange coaming speakers in order to have a coherent phase transition. Plus you want to remove from the sub that which it does poorly. The lowpass on the sub and the highpass on the fullrange coaming speakers should be at a fairly symmetrical frequency.
This isn't a car cabin. It's an open field boat. The real meat (significant amplitude) of the bass is 50 to 80Hz. A filter is already at half power at the set X-over frequency. So rolling off at or below 80 Hz is a bit premature in a boat. And, in a sealed box a 10-inch begins to softly roll-off on the bottom end above 50 Hz.
For musical bass I would want my sub to play close to a full octave in a linear manner.
If you Fullrange the sub then the filter frequency is disabled and doesn't matter.
The original 90 Hz Highpass is pretty close. If you removed the Lowpass filter then you probably noticed an increase in amplitude....which is an indication that you should set the Lowpass filter just a bit higher in frequency. Usually as you raise the sub crossover frequency you get more perceived output and correspondingly will lower the gain.

David
Old 06-23-2013, 11:07 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft, X15, 2007, MCX, Acme 5 Blade, Pair of WetSounds Rev410's, WetSounds SD6, 2 JL 12w6v2 subs in sealed box, JL HD750/1, WS402SQ
Poop...I'll fix it.

I'm trying to get more of the bass notes at the low volume levels. Can't I turn the gain up on the JL 750/1HD sub amplifier and use the WS420SQ to turn the bass output at higher volumes?

I'm seeing that I'm probably going to have to add another JL 750/1 HD for the second sub and let each sub have independent power sources so I can have the bump at low listening levels by setting the gains higher.

If I continue to have such BIG power on the tower with the SD 6 bridged 585 ish x 2 and if the subs are pushing 1500 together,if I add another sub amp, will the interior speakers even be heard with only 150 watts?? They seem like there over powered / over run by the other speakers (tower and sub's).

There already seems to be an imbalance of sorts. I've been turning the tower volume down to half on the WS420SQ and the interior to full volume on the 420 so I can "balance" the HU volumes. That being said the sound quality and the high volume of around 22 on the Clarion remote is L.O.U.D!!! Stupid loud!

To many questions not enough time...Thanks everyone for the info on the amplifier.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:43 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: TBD
ZD,
Certainly a single HD750/1 is a bit light for dual 12W6s. Excursion is what separates the upper end woofers. Twice the excursion requires twice the amplifier power. Otherwise you are better off with two 12W3s that are less challenging to drive.
I don't know all the details of your system but here is one element to consider. If your subs are not direct radiating then the losses are significant. So if the subs are in an expansive seating or helm console structure then you need open venting equal to the collective sub's surface area. You'll still have losses but they'll be minimized.

David
Old 06-24-2013, 02:50 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 91' MC 240sc
Your signature contains most needed info but the in-boat description is incomplete to fully understand your situation and goals.

Using a general assumption of stock in-boat speakers, I am not surprised at all the big 410's are able to over power 4-6 coax speakers with far less power or efficiency.
There will never be a balance at equal volume settings as the speakers are intended for different uses. In-boats will sound good near field with people close, WS will throw the sound for boarding or all out party cove rock'n. I know the sound levels on my system are barely comfortable in the boat. I have to go two down to carry on any extended conversation

Using the 420 you have the flexibility to control the power out put of each zone independently which is nice. It may take some time for you to learn to control the new found power appropriately.

I would not recommend over gaining the subs. The process of properly setting gain insures against speaker damage. Even more so with an under powered system. A finger slip, alcohol ears or dumb azz that wonders onto the boat and messes with the stereo can do damage quickly.
A second 750.1 will definitely bring out the lows stronger and sooner.

Also, as David mentioned, expand on your sub location and install.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:28 PM
TT Enthusiast

My interior boat speakers are JL M770's and I have two pair. The speakers are in the bow and the other pair of speakers are mid ship